I changed my language focus

Discuss personal development, self-improvement and motivational psychology.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: I changed my language focus

Post by Yohan »

yick wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 8:45 am
Spencer wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 8:24 am
yick wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 8:02 am
Spencer wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 8:00 am
Spanish french sooooo not easy to germanicman leson only study pigeon style stripdown no gramars forwhy the geramnic euro say english easypeasy but so many italyman spainman romanaman not kno how talkin english
@Winston ban this twat. :roll:
Why yick for i corection your wrong say spanish french not difult even tho have so much gramars not in the english and aditional french have so hard pronuncation
@Winston ban this cunt, you gave him/her a warning - follow up on it.
@Winston

I do not understand why this PAG sockpuppet is still allowed to dump his distorted drivel in this forum and to annoy other members in almost every thread.

A ban of this troll is more than overdue.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Spencer
Junior Poster

Post by Spencer »

Yohan wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 8:59 am
yick wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 8:45 am
Spencer wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 8:24 am
yick wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 8:02 am
Spencer wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 8:00 am
Spanish french sooooo not easy to germanicman leson only study pigeon style stripdown no gramars forwhy the geramnic euro say english easypeasy but so many italyman spainman romanaman not kno how talkin english
@Winston ban this twat. :roll:
Why yick for i corection your wrong say spanish french not difult even tho have so much gramars not in the english and aditional french have so hard pronuncation
@Winston ban this cunt, you gave him/her a warning - follow up on it.
@Winston

I do not understand why this PAG sockpuppet is still allowed to dump his distorted drivel in this forum and to annoy other members in almost every thread.

A ban of this troll is more than overdue.
Yohan pls leave me lone and ignor me 100% like you say will do for by now you say over 100 times to wiseton ban spencer like nagerman why you reptition over over gain for i alredy call trucing on you so drop egomania acept me for who i am the spencer

already i on pathing for improvment and wiseton manganmous lovely bossman who encourgment and naturing even i slow on something and hav dylexic spell and own idomstyle that more comfort for me to expres self but still i not dumwit i can make contributes to forum just stop buly on me to learn patient from our examples of humbility wiseton who grow sprit path ever year since forum starting
"Close mind genus more dangrous than 10,000 dumwits" - Spencer

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

"Wiseton is a very dynamic individual, what most would call a genius. He's started a movement, and only genius types can do such a thing." - Boycottamericanwomen
Spencer
Junior Poster

Post by Spencer »

Yohan wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 8:50 am
Tsar wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 1:56 am
I decided to do a search earlier today about the easiest or most grammatically similar languages to English.
Excluding Scottish which is essentially a dialect of English...
1. Frisian, which only has 480,000 speakers and isn't a national language.
2. Dutch
3. German
Depends what you consider as 'easy'. I am a native German speaker.
Let's compare a sample, same text.

IN ENGLISH:
German? Not really so similar.
As a native German speaker I don't think that German is so easy to learn for a native English speaker.
Pronunciation needs some training and maybe it's OK to speak a few words, but surely with a lot of grammatical mistakes.
The German spelling is not so easy either.

IN GEMAN:
Deutsch? Nicht wirklich so ähnlich.
Als deutscher Muttersprachler glaube ich nicht, daß Deutsch für einen englischen Muttersprachler so leicht zu lernen ist.
Die Aussprache erfordert einige Übung, und vielleicht kann man ein paar Worte sprechen, aber sicherlich mit vielen grammatikalischen Fehlern.
Die deutsche Rechtschreibung ist auch nicht so einfach.
From online bout spell vs sound

German is a much more phonetically consistent language than English. This means that German words almost always sound the way they are spelled — with consistent sounds for any given spelling. ... In German, the rare exceptions are usually foreign words from English, French, or other languages

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

"Wiseton is a very dynamic individual, what most would call a genius. He's started a movement, and only genius types can do such a thing." - Boycottamericanwomen
Gali
Junior Poster

Post by Gali »

Yohan wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 8:50 am
Tsar wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 1:56 am
I decided to do a search earlier today about the easiest or most grammatically similar languages to English.
Excluding Scottish which is essentially a dialect of English...
1. Frisian, which only has 480,000 speakers and isn't a national language.
2. Dutch
3. German
Depends what you consider as 'easy'. I am a native German speaker.
Let's compare a sample, same text.

IN ENGLISH:
German? Not really so similar.
As a native German speaker I don't think that German is so easy to learn for a native English speaker.
Pronunciation needs some training and maybe it's OK to speak a few words, but surely with a lot of grammatical mistakes.
The German spelling is not so easy either.

IN GEMAN:
Deutsch? Nicht wirklich so ähnlich.
Als deutscher Muttersprachler glaube ich nicht, daß Deutsch für einen englischen Muttersprachler so leicht zu lernen ist.
Die Aussprache erfordert einige Übung, und vielleicht kann man ein paar Worte sprechen, aber sicherlich mit vielen grammatikalischen Fehlern.
Die deutsche Rechtschreibung ist auch nicht so einfach.
Die Artikel, der, die, das, sind nicht für schwache Nerven
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

yick wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 7:17 am
MrMan wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 6:50 am
yick wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 3:57 am
Gali wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 2:42 am
What percentage of the English language is Latin?
80%
Though Latin itself has often been referred to as a dead language, it is very much alive in the 80% of English terms that are borrowed directly from the ancient language and the over 60% of English words that have roots in Latin and Greek
They weren't borrowed 'directly' from Latin, they were borrowed from French - as the Normans who spoke French ruled England for around 500 years and French was the language of the upper classes and royalty and Middle English was the language of the peasants.

Most legalese in English is derived from French (which has its roots in Latin) as are most terms regarding the military, housing, culinary etc.

Your broad point is correct in that English has a great foundation in Latin through the medium of French and shouldn't really be considered a 'Germanic' language in my opinion - too Germanic to be classed as a Romance language though.

Which is why it is easier for a Brit (or any native speaker...) to learn French or Spanish than German - there is a lot of German grammar that confuses the English native speaker whereas when learning French or Spanish (or Italian, Catalan etc) it does not.

Many Latin-derived words came into the language through French. Some came in directly through Latin as an academic language. The Venerable Bede wrote that 'book Latin' was one of the languages spoken in England in his time. Monks read it. It was an academic language in later centuries, also.
Very few Latin words came into English directly from Latin itself, whatever Latin was learned and entered into the language in England (later the UK) was via church services - the Catholic Church had their services in Latin until the 1960's.

Latin is still taught in the public (translation, private) school system and in institutions such as Eton, Harrow etc and is regarded as one of the 'classics' but most Latin influenced words that are in English are French words and they feature heavily in legal vocabulary as it was the Normans (who spoke French) who wrote up the Magna Carta and help shape English common law - in French.

Some scientific and religious words came in through Latin rather than coming in through French. Since English dictionaries contain thousands of lesser-used technical words, I disagree with your assertion. The 'Anglish' video in the post that followed your post estimated Latin as the source for 29% of the vocabulary of the English language. Look at 26 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIo-17SIkws
Spencer
Junior Poster

Post by Spencer »

English need spell reformating for make simple simon cus now headaching of big word stew no rule no constancy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqLiRu34kWo

yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

MrMan wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 10:09 am
yick wrote:
MrMan wrote:
yick wrote:
Gali wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 2:42 am
What percentage of the English language is Latin?
80%
Though Latin itself has often been referred to as a dead language, it is very much alive in the 80% of English terms that are borrowed directly from the ancient language and the over 60% of English words that have roots in Latin and Greek
They weren't borrowed 'directly' from Latin, they were borrowed from French - as the Normans who spoke French ruled England for around 500 years and French was the language of the upper classes and royalty and Middle English was the language of the peasants.

Most legalese in English is derived from French (which has its roots in Latin) as are most terms regarding the military, housing, culinary etc.

Your broad point is correct in that English has a great foundation in Latin through the medium of French and shouldn't really be considered a 'Germanic' language in my opinion - too Germanic to be classed as a Romance language though.

Which is why it is easier for a Brit (or any native speaker...) to learn French or Spanish than German - there is a lot of German grammar that confuses the English native speaker whereas when learning French or Spanish (or Italian, Catalan etc) it does not.

Many Latin-derived words came into the language through French. Some came in directly through Latin as an academic language. The Venerable Bede wrote that 'book Latin' was one of the languages spoken in England in his time. Monks read it. It was an academic language in later centuries, also.
Very few Latin words came into English directly from Latin itself, whatever Latin was learned and entered into the language in England (later the UK) was via church services - the Catholic Church had their services in Latin until the 1960's.

Latin is still taught in the public (translation, private) school system and in institutions such as Eton, Harrow etc and is regarded as one of the 'classics' but most Latin influenced words that are in English are French words and they feature heavily in legal vocabulary as it was the Normans (who spoke French) who wrote up the Magna Carta and help shape English common law - in French.

Some scientific and religious words came in through Latin rather than coming in through French. Since English dictionaries contain thousands of lesser-used technical words, I disagree with your assertion. The 'Anglish' video in the post that followed your post estimated Latin as the source for 29% of the vocabulary of the English language. Look at 26 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIo-17SIkws
But those 'scientific' words aren't English - they're loan words from Latin. Monocotyledoneae isn't an English word derived from Latin, no-one would claim it to be and that's all there is to it so you can disagree with it all you like.

But if we take the word 'accuse' in English, the word in French is 'accuser' which is derived from the Latin word 'adcuso'. 'Accuse' is an English word derived from French (with the French word derived from Latin).

If we go back to Latin loan words in English, we wouldn't use Pancratium maritimum for Sea Daffodil, nobody would - the vast majority (as in 99% of people) would use 'sea daffodil.

Obviously, it makes sense that most English words come from French - you know that the English language doesn't have that long a tradition in the British Isles? It predates French in Britain by a few hundred years - English did not exist when the Romans ruled England and Wales, English did exist when the Normans ruled England and Wales.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

yick wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 7:36 pm
MrMan wrote:
yick wrote:
MrMan wrote:
yick wrote:

But those 'scientific' words aren't English - they're loan words from Latin. Monocotyledoneae isn't an English word derived from Latin, no-one would claim it to be and that's all there is to it so you can disagree with it all you like.

But if we take the word 'accuse' in English, the word in French is 'accuser' which is derived from the Latin word 'adcuso'. 'Accuse' is an English word derived from French (with the French word derived from Latin).

If we go back to Latin loan words in English, we wouldn't use Pancratium maritimum for Sea Daffodil, nobody would - the vast majority (as in 99% of people) would use 'sea daffodil.

Obviously, it makes sense that most English words come from French - you know that the English language doesn't have that long a tradition in the British Isles? It predates French in Britain by a few hundred years - English did not exist when the Romans ruled England and Wales, English did exist when the Normans ruled England and Wales.
I did not sit down and read all the words in English that came from Latin. There are lexicographers, linguists and such who study such things. You can also look through dictionaries that have etymology. I looked up three or four words really quickly trying to find something that derived from Latin without going through French. I got two:

intelligent
distract

I am sure there are many more.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

yick wrote:
MrMan wrote:
yick wrote:
MrMan wrote:
yick wrote:

I did not sit down and read all the words in English that came from Latin. There are lexicographers, linguists and such who study such things. You can also look through dictionaries that have etymology. I looked up three or four words really quickly trying to find something that derived from Latin without going through French. I got two:

intelligent
distract

I am sure there are many more. If the lexicographers say 29% came from Latin, not French, I'd imagine there are many words that are not species names.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

MrMan wrote:
October 10th, 2021, 5:59 am
yick wrote:
MrMan wrote:
yick wrote:
MrMan wrote:

intelligent
distract

I am sure there are many more. If the lexicographers say 29% came from Latin, not French, I'd imagine there are many words that are not species names.
Any linguist worth their salt (and it is my university major so know a bit about this...) would never say many English words come directly from Latin - many Latin (and Greek) terms and words regards science (especially in the field of biology) are actually loan words. I thought you were talking about Latin-derived words and then you started talking about loan words which obviously aren't the same thing.

The French for 'intelligent' is 'intelligent' :lol:

The French for 'distract' is 'distraire'

If you wanted to pick middle-English words that exist in modern English you could use a fair few - sea, cry, most body parts (arm, head, feet etc), field, flag etc - you aren't going to find many words that have derived straight from Latin... why would you - when the Romans occupied England, the English language didn't exist, the local population spoke their own Celtic languages such as Cornish, Manx, Welsh, Cumbric etc.
Spencer
Junior Poster

Post by Spencer »

yick wrote:
October 10th, 2021, 6:29 am
MrMan wrote:
yick wrote:
MrMan wrote:
yick wrote:

intelligent
distract

Any linguist worth their salt (and it is my university major so know a bit about this...) would never say many English words come directly from Latin - many Latin (and Greek) terms and words regards science (especially in the field of biology) are actually loan words. I thought you were talking about Latin-derived words and then you started talking about loan words which obviously aren't the same thing.

If you wanted to pick middle-English words that exist in modern English you could use a fair few - sea, cry, most body parts (arm, head, feet etc), field, flag etc - you aren't going to find many words that have derived straight from Latin... why would you - when the Romans occupied England, the English language didn't exist, the local population spoke their own Celtic languages such as Cornish, Manx, Welsh, Cumbric etc.
Wow lingist expertman so fascinating so you stay china long time and have study china writ china speak so how is china langage is it same like alien speak and do you know how speak wiseton use only china talk for speak

jerryrigged
Freshman Poster

Post by jerryrigged »

Spencer wrote:
October 10th, 2021, 9:47 am
yick wrote:
MrMan wrote:
yick wrote:
MrMan wrote:

intelligent
distract

Wow lingist expertman so fascinating so you stay china long time and have study china writ china speak so how is china langage is it same like alien speak and do you know how speak wiseton use only china talk for speak
Spencer you leave me practically speechless sometimes buddy
Sometimes a single moment of madness can last a lifetime

Spencer
Junior Poster

Post by Spencer »

jerryrigged wrote:
October 10th, 2021, 2:29 pm
Spencer wrote:
yick wrote:
MrMan wrote:
yick wrote:

intelligent
distract

Spencer you leave me practically speechless sometimes buddy
I aprecate your aprecation thank you for letmebe yr buddy aborder :)

yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Spencer wrote:
yick wrote:
MrMan wrote:
yick wrote:
MrMan wrote:

intelligent
distract

@Winston when are you banning this useless cunt?
Spencer
Junior Poster

Post by Spencer »

yick wrote:
October 10th, 2021, 9:19 pm
Spencer wrote:
yick wrote:
MrMan wrote:
yick wrote:

intelligent
distract

@Winston when are you banning this useless cunt?
Stop buly me forwhy you say ban ban ban

yick i ask good question bout if you know speak china or writ china and if you can talk wiseton only in china speak and i pay hompage yr lingist expert by sho repsepcts to you colege major

i type my phone slow carful for make sentence easy for understand so instead make buly why yick you not answer questions for aborders kno more cus you like talk and sharing self from basis post histories and why you not learn patient and kindlyness from wiseton