Is the issue of diet and exercise settled?

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Is the issue of diet and exercise settled?

Post by Cornfed »

It seems that after decades of nonsense being published, the issue of healthy diet and exercise is now fairly cut and dried, ironically when it is about to become a moot point. The correct regime is a modified paleo diet based on animal fat and protein with minimal carbohydrates, perhaps in the form of fruit, and some green vegetables take as vitamin supplements. Occasionally you should fast for several days. Exercise should based on weight training with some high intensity stuff such as burpees, supplemented with some light aerobics and maybe yoga or Pilates if you wanted. Hence when people are dying of their lethal covaids injections or eating bugs in their pods, they will at least know what they theoretically should be doing.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Is the issue of diet and exercise settled?

Post by yick »

People obviously don't eat enough vegetables and don't cook at home often enough. That and they drink far too much alcohol and they eat out too much which is why there was mini-riots when McDonalds closed down in the UK due to the pandemic. In the first world - there is a car culture where we have people who don't even walk half a mile in any one week - I would say the optimal diet for man is mostly vegetable based with medium amounts of carbs and proteins with no alcohol and with teas and clean water to drink. Obviously you can deviate from this some of the time and for it not to do you any harm but a lot of people - it's a daily habit which is where things go wrong for them.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Exercise I agree with to an extent, a good weight training regime and for me - and it's really good for the mental condition - distance running/cycling - runs of 3-6 miles long most days do a lot for my mental wellbeing probably more than anything else.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

I don't think the meat versus vegetables argument is settled, but otherwise I agree. I eat more meat than vegetables just because I like meat more, and I am too lazy to do the research into which is actually healthier.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

yick wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 9:27 pm
I would say the optimal diet for man is mostly vegetable based
It would be hard to get a lot of calories from vegetables without resorting to eating a seed-based carb diet, and one of the things that people seem to have finally realized is that basing your diet on the seeds of plants that put a lot of energy into their seeds is not so great.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Cornfed wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 10:17 pm
yick wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 9:27 pm
I would say the optimal diet for man is mostly vegetable based
It would be hard to get a lot of calories from vegetables without resorting to eating a seed-based carb diet, and one of the things that people seem to have finally realized is that basing your diet on the seeds of plants that put a lot of energy into their seeds is not so great.
I think you need meat/fish and some type of carbs and good oils - regards seeds - this is a route that I have only recently discovered and these days, I put a whole array of seeds into my oatmeal (porridge...) and buckwheat breakfast in the morning. Man can't live on vegetables alone.

I have also realised the benefits of good, raw honey - tastes so different from the crap you buy in the supermarket. Orange blossom honey is a gift from the gods!
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

yick wrote:
October 19th, 2021, 12:00 am
iregards seeds - this is a route that I have only recently discovered and these days, I put a whole array of seeds into my oatmeal (porridge...) and buckwheat breakfast in the morning. Man can't live on vegetables alone.

I have also realised the benefits of good, raw honey - tastes so different from the crap you buy in the supermarket. Orange blossom honey is a gift from the gods!
I'm not so much talking about those types of seeds, but the standard agricultural plants most non-hunter-gatherer populations have derived most of their calories from - corn, rice, wheat etc. The common thread of these plants is that they are the first colonisers of land that has been damaged in some way. As such their strategy is to spread fast and so they put a lot of their resources into producing seeds and this is the part of the plant we eat. For various reasons this is unhealthy.
I have also realised the benefits of good, raw honey
Yes, I posted an old thread about making beer from honey.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Cornfed wrote:
October 19th, 2021, 12:44 am
yick wrote:
October 19th, 2021, 12:00 am
iregards seeds - this is a route that I have only recently discovered and these days, I put a whole array of seeds into my oatmeal (porridge...) and buckwheat breakfast in the morning. Man can't live on vegetables alone.

I'm not so much talking about those types of seeds, but the standard agricultural plants most non-hunter-gatherer populations have derived most of their calories from - corn, rice, wheat etc. The common thread of these plants is that they are the first colonisers of land that has been damaged in some way. As such their strategy is to spread fast and so they put a lot of their resources into producing seeds and this is the part of the plant we eat. For various reasons this is unhealthy.
I have also realised the benefits of good, raw honey
Yes, I posted an old thread about making beer from honey.
I think some grains are beneficial - the problem with todays diet is we eat too much and we eat too much pre-prepared food because people have become lazier in all aspects of their lives. I watched some documentary about GMO crops which of course are doing most of the damage within the American food chain - if farmers/governments actually left their crops alone then there would be a lot less damage - obviously a lot of farming cultures outside the US suffer from this a lot less because they have laws/standards.
Traveler
Freshman Poster

Post by Traveler »

It's hardly settled. Eating a high carb diet has may benefits:

"But from a general perspective, being physically active has far more benefits than drawbacks.Taking exercise into consideration, the logic then follows on this trajectory…

"1. The more carbohydrates you eat before exercise, the more liver and muscle glycogen (stored carbohydrate) you have.
2. The more stored glycogen you have, the harder you can exercise and the longer you can exercise.
3. The more carbohydrates you eat after exercise, the faster and more fully you will replenish glycogen stores.
4. The faster you replenish glycogen stores, the more often you can exercise.

"Carbohydrates and full glycogen stores do other things as well, such as lower cortisol, increase metabolic rate, and improve sleep – other very potent ingredients in the overall health formula. Thus, carbohydrates are the primary substance allowing you to exercise more vigorously and more frequently due to their recovery-expediting effect. Combined with the metabolic effects of carbohydrates on cortisol, muscle fiber type (more fast twitch),amount of glycogen storage in muscles and liver, and so on – carbohydrates provide everything from enhanced insulin sensitivity and glucose clearance to improved fitness and body composition (changes in body composition are most influenced by long-term, cumulative adaptations to exercise of which carbohydrates determine how your body performs and responds to exercise stimuli)."
https://180degreehealth.com/how-many-ca ... d-you-eat/
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Traveler wrote:
October 24th, 2021, 11:33 am
It's hardly settled. Eating a high carb diet has may benefits [..]
For most Westerners, replenishing glycogen is the least of our worries, but even if you had an aerobically intense job, it would be good to get as much of your energy as possible from fat, and fat can be converted into carbs. Eating carbs all the time causes insulin resistance, fat gain and all manner of other problems, and they don't contribute anything essential. Unlike with protein and fat, you can live without any carbs at all. This issue started out with the food pyramid total fraud, but then the public were dragged kicking and screaming to their senses over decades by the sheer weight of empirical evidence. It is time to put the issue to bed.