Americans generally don't understand world travel and take incredibly boring vacations

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
statnerd
Freshman Poster

Americans generally don't understand world travel and take incredibly boring vacations

Post by statnerd »

Seriously, if I told the people that I work with that I've visited Malaysia, Singapore, and Thailand, they would think I'm nuts, so I just keep it to myself. I made the mistake once of telling someone at work that I visited Japan of all places, he had a confused expression on his face, then said "I take vacations, but I always stay in the U.S." He really couldn't understand why I'd want to visit Asia. Another asked me "are you rich?" Uh, no, roundtrip airfare to almost anywhere can be had for less than $1,000, Japanese food is inexpensive, and you can stay in capsule hotels. Seriously, I spent around $250/week on my trips to Malaysia and Thailand, so you could spend $2,000 total ($1,000 airfare + $1,000 everything else) for a month-long trip and have a great time. My coworkers have no problem spending that on televisions. Visiting Asia does not have to be expensive.

In the offices that I've worked in, the people are into cruises, visiting Alaska/Hawaii/Colorado, or if they do go overseas (very rarely) it is to visit Paris, London, or to stay in an all-inclusive resort in Mexico or the Caribbean where they can eat bland American food, speak English, and be shielded from the local culture. I'm sure those trips cost more than $2,000.

I just haven't dealt with anyone at a job who understands or cares about world travel beyond Western Europe or beach resorts.

As a side note regarding Thailand, I had a family member kind of smirk at me and give me a funny look when I told her about visiting that country. I know what she was thinking - that I was a sex tourist. No, I visited Chiang Mai where that kind of thing is virtually non-existent and I really was only there to look at the temples, eat great food, and experience Thai culture. She wouldn't have believed me though.
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Re: Americans generally don't understand world travel and take incredibly boring vacations

Post by WorldTraveler »

It's a total waste of time sharing your travel with the people you work with. They go on package deals to resorts. In the past, when I did tell them I went on overseas vacations they said, "it must be nice, I wish I could afford it," even though they drive a new Mercedes. On my last job. One lesbian woman went to Tahiti which I had been so I used to go in her office and look at her photos and talk travel, but she was the only one. I think I must have taken 7 international trips at my previous company, and nobody knew where I went. I never told them. If they asked, I told them i went to visit my family. Never, never, never tell your workmates that you are a traveler, unless they already are. America is a work country. They don't give a shit about you, only talking to hear themselves talk. We had Xmas party lunch one time and one of the female managers I worked with had run in the Athens marathon, I told her I had worked in Europe in the past, but she didn't give a shit. She never asked me had I been to Athens which I had twice. The guy sitting across from me had worked for some mining company in Alabama and he proceed to tell in detail about his boring work there, before coming to this current job.

A friend of mine who was a professor was not renewed and had to find a new job because he posted photos of his travel on his Facebook. All the photos consisted of was food and scenery. They looked at him as not serious about his work. Never, never, never tell anyone at work about your travel experiences. My favorite lie was that I spent my vacation cleaning out my basement. I didn't have a basement but they loved it, because their lives were also that boring. They thought I was one of them!
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Americans generally don't understand world travel and take incredibly boring vacations

Post by gsjackson »

WorldTraveler wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 2:26 pm
It's a total waste of time sharing your travel with the people you work with. They go on package deals to resorts. In the past, when I did tell them I went on overseas vacations they said, "it must be nice, I wish I could afford it," even though they drive a new Mercedes. On my last job. One lesbian woman went to Tahiti which I had been so I used to go in her office and look at her photos and talk travel, but she was the only one. I think I must have taken 7 international trips at my previous company, and nobody knew where I went. I never told them. If they asked, I told them i went to visit my family. Never, never, never tell your workmates that you are a traveler, unless they already are. America is a work country. They don't give a shit about you, only talking to hear themselves talk. We had Xmas party lunch one time and one of the female managers I worked with had run in the Athens marathon, I told her I had worked in Europe in the past, but she didn't give a shit. She never asked me had I been to Athens which I had twice. The guy sitting across from me had worked for some mining company in Alabama and he proceed to tell in detail about his boring work there, before coming to this current job.

A friend of mine who was a professor was not renewed and had to find a new job because he posted photos of his travel on his Facebook. All the photos consisted of was food and scenery. They looked at him as not serious about his work. Never, never, never tell anyone at work about your travel experiences. My favorite lie was that I spent my vacation cleaning out my basement. I didn't have a basement but they loved it, because their lives were also that boring. They thought I was one of them!

Good advice. Family don't want to hear about it either.
TD-40
Freshman Poster

Post by TD-40 »

I have noticed that if someone is not already into traveling then they will not be interested in hearing about your travels. In fact it will probably cause enmity between them and you out of jealousy or some other perceived slight against you.
CannedHam
Freshman Poster

Post by CannedHam »

Years ago I used to work for a company that had an office in Chile. I would often spend months at a time down there. When I told friend, family, and neighbors that I had been spending time in Chile, about half didn't know what continent it was on, and the other half acted as though I was going to Somalia, LMAO.

Recently I spoke to a young Korean woman that came to the US a few years ago. She was at the hospital here in the US visiting her friend. One of the white trash nurses asked her where she was from. She said "Korea". The nurse asked: "North or South?" LOLOLOLOL.

For being the "most powerful nation in the world (tm)" the US is sure filled with its fair share of retarded, ignorant f***s.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

CannedHam wrote:
March 8th, 2019, 3:30 pm
Recently I spoke to a young Korean woman that came to the US a few years ago. She was at the hospital here in the US visiting her friend. One of the white trash nurses asked her where she was from. She said "Korea". The nurse asked: "North or South?" LOLOLOLOL.
At least she knows there are two Koreas, and maybe she was trying to be fair to the North. Either way it puts her head and shoulders above the average Westerner.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Many people living in the States have no idea about the rest of the world. Never been outside of the States, not interested in travel at all.

However ask anybody, who is not from USA about USA.

Many will find California and San Francisco on a map, and they know New York is a big city etc. but if you ask for more, you will get similar answers. No idea. Not interested to visit USA anyway etc.

Check out some ordinary people in Europe, show them a map of USA and ask them where is the city of Atlanta, or where is the federal state of Idaho...
Hopeless...
flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Post by flowerthief00 »

To be fair, the USA is quite a geographically large country with diverse locales even before you include Alaska and Hawaii. If they haven't already seen the Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, Yellowstone Park, New York, the Disneylands, and so on I wouldn't blame anyone for restricting their vacations to the amazing places that are closer to access.

Malaysia and Thailand are dirt cheap, but I don't agree that Japan is. You get such small portions for food; I am perpetually hungry whenever I'm in that country.
Capsules are not comfortable. I especially hate how cramped the quarters are where you store your belongings. Totally understand why someone would pass on that experience.

But American food is awful. Much much better in Asia.
Food is the #1 reason I'm obsessed with Thailand. Gonna go see Chiang Mai for the first time next month.
TD-40
Freshman Poster

Post by TD-40 »

I think vacationing and traveling are two different things. A vacation is usually a time and place to relax and get away from things, or to go and do something fun. Traveling is more about exploring an area or culturally experiencing the people. Most people take vacations and don't see the point of what you might call traveling.
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

CannedHam wrote:
March 8th, 2019, 3:30 pm
Years ago I used to work for a company that had an office in Chile. I would often spend months at a time down there. When I told friend, family, and neighbors that I had been spending time in Chile, about half didn't know what continent it was on, and the other half acted as though I was going to Somalia, LMAO.

For being the "most powerful nation in the world (tm)" the US is sure filled with its fair share of retarded, ignorant f***s.
I consider that nurse pretty smart for an American. Many wouldn't know there are two.
martellthacooldude
Freshman Poster

Post by martellthacooldude »

I'm interested of traveling around the world and I hate American society and boring ass culture with a passion. Glad this website exists. When and if I win the lottery, I'm out this shithole country forever
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

What do you guys expect? Most Americans are living in their own bubble/comfort zone and have a thick ice wall around them. They usually hang out with their clique of friends they have known since childhood and block out new guys from entering their circle. Do you think they care about you unless you have been initiated into their group?

I find Europeans, Latinos, South East Asians to be more open minded and friendlier. Much easier to socialize with them.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!