The 14 Most Workaholic Countries

Moderated area for expat living and dating discussions. Members only. Must qualify with good knowledge, experience, character to be member and participate. See guidelines inside. Civil behavior only. No trolls, attacks or insults.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

The 14 Most Workaholic Countries

Post by Taco »

If you have an few extra gears you might be happy living in one of these countries.

The 14 Most Workaholic Countries In The World
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/count ... 4-mexico-1
Paranoia is just having the right information. - William S. Burroughs

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 10th, 2020, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Re: The 14 Most Workaholic Countries

Post by xiongmao »

I went to 2 job interviews today so the UK must be pretty high up on the list.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

I wasn't surprised to find India on that list. I have an Indian co-worker who never takes lunch breaks, blows off every company social event to work, and works every evening and weekend. Plus he's always breaking my balls for not working like he does. Thank God he's not my boss.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Notice how they wont even list them all on one page. You'll have to scroll through numerous pages just to get the information in that teaser title. These people want you to jump through hoops to read their articles just so they can get more ad money. I know it's a silly complaint, but still. Not worth the time to read articles like this for that reason.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Adama wrote:Notice how they wont even list them all on one page. You'll have to scroll through numerous pages just to get the information in that teaser title. These people want you to jump through hoops to read their articles just so they can get more ad money. I know it's a silly complaint, but still. Not worth the time to read articles like this for that reason.
Not silly at all. I have a slow computer and these click-through articles drive me crazy.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

pssst! A lot of it depends on the company that you work for, where conditions can vary widely from company to company:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/techn ... place.html
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

This is a lie, Germany is not even on the list and I know for a fact it should be in the top 3.
Don't buy into Germany being this relaxed place to work, it's not.
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

These list are just click bate eyeball bait. Mexico and Poland shouldn't be on the list. I'm sure Germany would be on the list and probably some Scandinavian countries too. I'm not sure about Russia.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Living in Japan, I do not consider Japan as the #1 workaholic country.

The #1 should be South Korea, with a longer working week but still less pay than in Japan.

While it is true that a certain group of people (for sure not all Japanese, maybe only 10 percent of the population) work many hours, they do that organized and slowly with a lot of breaks (smoking, eating something, talking) between. However they are really the first showing up in the morning, the last going home, responsible that all is running fine over decades and in return they have high salaries.

Many people here have their own small family owned business/company somewhere often since several generations, in the cities as well as in rural areas...My barber for example, his mother, his late father, his late grandfather... all were barbers. He has many customers, reservation needed, sometimes he works from early morning up to night, sometimes no reservation and he just takes a rest... not really a workaholic, but independent,busy and good organized.

I found some medical doctors in Japan to be real workaholics, like my dentist, his late father a dentist, his daughter a dentist, their clinic is open daily from 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM, Monday to Saturday, during Sundays and holidays they often accept emergency stand-by - but they all are happy with that, nobody forcing them to accept so many patients...but they don't know anything else, except being dentists...

Same with my medical doctor for internal medicine, the son took it over from his father, open daily from early morning up to late night except Sundays...on Sunday he told me he studies medical journals and checks out his large collection of medical devices in his own clinic and moves around on his bicycle to visit handicapped and old patients living nearby who are too fragile to visit his clinic... He cannot rest,does not want to rest, but otherwise he is not really in a hurry either...

----------

However others, many men and women, usually young people, work only what they like and paid per hour and if something is not convenient for them, they will not show up the next day - often they are single and do 2 or 3 occasional jobs, rent a small room...

However it is important in Japan, that you have an address and do at least some little work. The Japanese government is not known to be social to lazy people and dishonest people doing absolutely nothing like for the homeless and criminals. If you do 'something' and have a regular address and don't do bad things, you are qualified for good medical care, small retirement allowance... you can earn enough for a living with small part-time job and still feel secure.

Further - some women often prefer to marry around 30, just being a housewife with 2 children

About holidays, Japanese people use them, but they do not like the idea to use them all at once. For example, they take 3 days for a short flight to Taiwan or Singapore, next month 2 days for a golf club, again 1 additional day for family and small drive out of the city to a resort hotel and stay overnight, and if you see a Japanese company frequently, you will notice there is always somebody absent for a few days and others taking over his or her work as paid overtime.