Why is the Western US so overrated?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
The Un-American
Freshman Poster

Why is the Western US so overrated?

Post by The Un-American »

Aside from the hotter drier weather if that's your thing, and the relative lack of God-nuts, how is the West better than the other parts of the US? If anything I'd say it's the most aloof, politically correct, pathologically libertarian, selfish, expensive (wages are a bit higher here but not enough to compensate for the high COL), crazy/druggy and snobby part of the country. I've lived in the region my whole life and while I love my "circle", the vast majority of people who live in Western states IMO are either really boring or really stuck up and rude.

Pretty much every one I've known from an eastern or central state is at least cooler and more genuine than the average native West Coast person. People have this idea that West Coasters are all these innovative, tasteful laid-back hippies but I can assure you that the vast majority of people in Oregon could match Alabama for hickness and exceed them in unkempt appearance.

Never come to a West Coast person if you need to get something off your chest or are feeling blue. They will blame you for being a "whiny bitch" and not having a positive attitude about life, and will resent you for being arrogant enough to think somebody actually cares about your problems or about injustice in general.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why is the Western US so overrated?

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

The Un-American wrote:Aside from the hotter drier weather if that's your thing, and the relative lack of God-nuts, how is the West better than the other parts of the US? If anything I'd say it's the most aloof, politically correct, pathologically libertarian, selfish, expensive (wages are a bit higher here but not enough to compensate for the high COL), crazy/druggy and snobby part of the country. I've lived in the region my whole life and while I love my "circle", the vast majority of people who live in Western states IMO are either really boring or really stuck up and rude.

Pretty much every one I've known from an eastern or central state is at least cooler and more genuine than the average native West Coast person. People have this idea that West Coasters are all these innovative, tasteful laid-back hippies but I can assure you that the vast majority of people in Oregon could match Alabama for hickness and exceed them in unkempt appearance.

Never come to a West Coast person if you need to get something off your chest or are feeling blue. They will blame you for being a "whiny bitch" and not having a positive attitude about life, and will resent you for being arrogant enough to think somebody actually cares about your problems or about injustice in general.
Yes and no. So let's say that, for the most part, you are wrong. I feel that the West and the East coast people are the worst Americans with the MidWest as honorable mention. The nicest Americans left are parts of the Southwest and Mountain Standard Time. It's the last of the mohigans sotospeak.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Hollywood built it up.

Sing along with me.

I wish they all could be California. I wish they all could be California. I wish they all could be California.. girlssssssss.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

The Un-American wrote:Aside from the hotter drier weather if that's your thing, and the relative lack of God-nuts, how is the West better than the other parts of the US? If anything I'd say it's the most aloof, politically correct, pathologically libertarian, selfish, expensive (wages are a bit higher here but not enough to compensate for the high COL), crazy/druggy and snobby part of the country. I've lived in the region my whole life and while I love my "circle", the vast majority of people who live in Western states IMO are either really boring or really stuck up and rude.

You're also under the wrong impression about the rest of the country. Do you really think anyone wants to hear you get something off their chest? No one wants to hear that. Seriously. You will be called a whiny bitch for sure, or some other term similar to that, by virtually anyone.

I worked out in the most eastern county in Pennsylvania for a couple of years. The part borders NJ. Even though they spoke with the same accent as me, lots of those people were straight up trash, and they were white. They had ghetto problems. Women having six children by various men, wife beating, illegitimate pregnancy. Real Maury Povich stuff.

I used to think getting out into the country would be better, but just 60 mi outside of NYC/NJ that's how people are. How might they be in the deep country?

You can always move. Then you may either like it, or be sorely disappointed.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
BlackKnight
Junior Poster

Post by BlackKnight »

This is true. The west coast doesn’t seem to have a culture of real openness. It has a distant, detached, ultra-individualist vibe and people don’t seem to be all that passionate about anything. The women are mostly airheads and the men are service machines with little to no interest in the world around them. No one has the fortitude to be direct with anyone about anything. Someone will get butt hurt about something and pout for the rest of the day rather than call whomever out on their bullshit or just suck it up. No one wants to connect, unless it's out of convenience or need of something. In order to make "Frien-quaitences" and progress in the workplace, you have to be the "cultural-fit". That means you have to be the splitting image of how they see you in their minds.
BlackKnight
Junior Poster

Post by BlackKnight »

Adama wrote:Hollywood built it up.

Sing along with me.

I wish they all could be California. I wish they all could be California. I wish they all could be California.. girlssssssss.
No, California use to be a place where you could build anything! It was full artist, thinkers, revolutionaries, hot chicks and open-minded people. Then in the early 70s that all started to change. Northern Californians became workaholics and extreme conformist all at the same time.They also became relatively solitary by choice , preferring to “living to work” lifestyle. Meanwhile, the various Southern genus samples seek notice, and even fame, at every opportunity. Southern California (LA) is more accepting of fashion, behavior, eye contact, speech, oversharing, general weirdness, everything. The only rule is to be original/good looking and put yourself out there. Northern Californians all the way up the coast to Seattle are bland, cliquish, closed and have a tendency to blend-in resulting in groups to enforce rigid and arbitrary rules.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

I am a California Native...

Get something off your chest? You mean the same whiny White male nonsense I keep hearing? Just look at the tripe you just wrote; as if being Liberal is bad. At least it's not full of racist, nut huggin, gun, anti-choice freaks that dominate any discussion about Conservatism in this country. That's not to say I haven't talk too or are friends with Roosevelt or Eisenhower Republicans, there views are just SLIGHTLY more conservative than mine, which is fine with me.

Black Knight is very accurate with the differences between North and Southern California. I was born in San Jose and have lived in SFV since the early 80's, I know both well and I am in no hurry to move back to the Bay Area or worse North of there.

I don't quite understand some people's pre-occupation with California, in-fact I question the whole nation's pre-occupation with California, scream of jealousy to me.

From the varied great food choices, to hot women from all corners of the globe to some of the best clubs and parties even if booze isn't served after 2 am.

If you wanna see Californians that behave like those from the rural midwest to the deep south just head to any desert community here...
ezinho
Freshman Poster

Post by ezinho »

BlackKnight wrote:
No, California use to be a place where you could build anything! It was full artist, thinkers, revolutionaries, hot chicks and open-minded people. Then in the early 70s that all started to change. Northern Californians became workaholics and extreme conformist all at the same time.They also became relatively solitary by choice , preferring to “living to work” lifestyle. Meanwhile, the various Southern genus samples seek notice, and even fame, at every opportunity. Southern California (LA) is more accepting of fashion, behavior, eye contact, speech, oversharing, general weirdness, everything. The only rule is to be original/good looking and put yourself out there. Northern Californians all the way up the coast to Seattle are bland, cliquish, closed and have a tendency to blend-in resulting in groups to enforce rigid and arbitrary rules.
Yea, I live and work in the Bay Area, I'm from here actually, and I hate to say it but your description of us is right on for the most part. I think we're workaholics because you kind of have to be to live here; this place is super expensive and you need to make a lot of money or else it's not worth being here. I'd say if you're not making at least $80k a year, preferably $100k in SF, then just leave; there's no point in being here.

So many people come from other states and try to "make it" here, only to end up broke and struggling to survive.

So what are some good things about living in the Bay Area? Well, high salary if you're skilled, or even semi-skilled. A lot of direct flights to Asia from SFO, and the flights are often pretty cheap, too. More direct flights seem to be opening up to Latin America as well. Food from all over the world here. Having BART, while not great public transportation, is still better than most places in America. AMPs are all over the place here if you're into P4P. If you like cougars, they are easy to score I find, although the hot girls in their 20s are still stand-offish. Weather is good, for the most part, although not as nice as Socal. You can take weekend trips to, LA, SD, Vegas, Reno, Tijuana; three-day weekend trips to Cabo or PV are even possible.

These are just the first things that popped up in my head.
The Un-American
Freshman Poster

BlackKnight wrote:
This is true. The west coast doesn’t seem to have a culture of real openness. It has a distant, detached, ultra-individualist vibe and people don’t seem to be all that passionate about anything. The women are mostly airheads and the men are service machines with little to no interest in the world around them. No one has the fortitude to be direct with anyone about anything. Someone will get butt hurt about something and pout for the rest of the day rather than call whomever out on their bullshit or just suck it up. No one wants to connect, unless it's out of convenience or need of something. In order to make "Frien-quaitences" and progress in the workplace, you have to be the "cultural-fit". That means you have to be the splitting image of how they see you in their minds.
Hit the nail on the head there. You really aren't allowed to be yourself here, and you definitely better not talk to strangers unless you have a damn good reason. I find even with friends they aren't interested in hearing anything deep for the most part. The West Coast can definitely be a lonely and isolating place if you don't have a good "circle".
Mr.Darcy
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr.Darcy »

Are you kidding me, the East Coast sucks aside from NYC. Are weather is horrible hands down. We are lucky to get maybe 30 days out of the year where we are like it feels nice outside. Lol at the people being genuine and chill. Everybody I know is either racist, workaholic, complainer, crazy christian, or both lol. The lifestyle here in the southeast is to work 6am to 5pm 5 days a week, drink a lot, worship football, and go to church. That's pretty much the highlight of most people's lifes here. I tell my friends that I'd rather travel the world after graduation and not do that 6am to 5pm ***** like they are doing and they look at me like I'm crazy. Last, I hope you don't like palm trees. It is too cold to grow palm trees above Jacksonville, Fl or Interstate 10 here in the east. People aren't open here at all. In the southeast they are friendly, but will talk **** to behind your back. The saying her is that if somebody hates you than the whole town will know except for you. The people up North tend to be more hostile and unwilling to talk to strangers because they are on a grind. They are more blunt about **** too.
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Post by GoingAwol »

Mr.Darcy wrote:Are you kidding me, the East Coast sucks aside from NYC. Are weather is horrible hands down. We are lucky to get maybe 30 days out of the year where we are like it feels nice outside. Lol at the people being genuine and chill. Everybody I know is either racist, workaholic, complainer, crazy christian, or both lol. The lifestyle here in the southeast is to work 6am to 5pm 5 days a week, drink a lot, worship football, and go to church. That's pretty much the highlight of most people's lifes here. I tell my friends that I'd rather travel the world after graduation and not do that 6am to 5pm ***** like they are doing and they look at me like I'm crazy. Last, I hope you don't like palm trees. It is too cold to grow palm trees above Jacksonville, Fl or Interstate 10 here in the east. People aren't open here at all. In the southeast they are friendly, but will talk **** to behind your back. The saying her is that if somebody hates you than the whole town will know except for you. The people up North tend to be more hostile and unwilling to talk to strangers because they are on a grind. They are more blunt about **** too.
That's not true. There's lots of Palm trees in Georgia and South Carolina.
fightforlove
Junior Poster

Post by fightforlove »

Because it's generally less populated and seen as a promised land of the future for people in the Eastern half of the country. People in the more populated, older Eastern states view western states like Colorado, Arizona, California, Washington, etc as "good vibes" states. They think all their problems will go away if they move there.

These miserable people move out west and dump on their native areas "back east". Western natives hear these people and believe it, further cementing the delusion that Western states are better than states back in the midwest, northeast, or south.
The Un-American
Freshman Poster

Mr.Darcy wrote:Are you kidding me, the East Coast sucks aside from NYC. Are weather is horrible hands down. We are lucky to get maybe 30 days out of the year where we are like it feels nice outside. Lol at the people being genuine and chill. Everybody I know is either racist, workaholic, complainer, crazy christian, or both lol. The lifestyle here in the southeast is to work 6am to 5pm 5 days a week, drink a lot, worship football, and go to church. That's pretty much the highlight of most people's lifes here. I tell my friends that I'd rather travel the world after graduation and not do that 6am to 5pm ***** like they are doing and they look at me like I'm crazy. Last, I hope you don't like palm trees. It is too cold to grow palm trees above Jacksonville, Fl or Interstate 10 here in the east. People aren't open here at all. In the southeast they are friendly, but will talk **** to behind your back. The saying her is that if somebody hates you than the whole town will know except for you. The people up North tend to be more hostile and unwilling to talk to strangers because they are on a grind. They are more blunt about **** too.
I'm not saying everyone back east is cool, far from it, but I think people there are a little bit more genuine than people out West on average. Of course, it's still America!
Mr.Darcy
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr.Darcy »

GoingAwol wrote:
That's not true. There's lots of Palm trees in Georgia and South Carolina.
Palmettos aren''t the typical palm trees that would come in to the average person's mind. The East coast is known for it's pricks. The southeast has its bible thumping racist rednecks and the Northeast is notorious for NYC assholes and assholes in Boston. You want to talk about unapproachable people than NYC and Boston fit the cake of the description. The West coast is so much better lol.