Target stores hacked: Warning to credit card customers

Expose or warn others about scams and scammers, or shady business practices. Expose those that have cheated you or ripped you off. Caution: Before naming specific individuals or groups, make sure that they really wronged you and that there was no misunderstanding. Otherwise your post may constitute slander or libel if it contains false information.
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Target stores hacked: Warning to credit card customers

Post by Teal Lantern »

Target hack: Tips for all customers
http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/10/technol ... index.html

Never mentioned problems like that when they were running commercials like this ...

Hmmm...
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I used my credit card at Target at the end of December, and after that, unknown charges from Microsoft Services kept appearing on my credit card activity. They were flagged and my credit card company contacted me about it. When I said they were not authorized, they said that they would have to issue me a new card with a new account number to stop the fraud.

However, the article said:
While hackers only stole credit and debit card data from shoppers at U.S. stores between Nov. 27 and Dec. 15, they also grabbed details on people who shopped there before that.
But I used my credit card at Target after December 25. So I don't know if this Target hack applied to me or not.

Also, the unauthorized charges came with foreign transaction fees, as though they were made abroad. Does that mean the hackers hacked in from overseas?

And why do the fraudulent charges say "Microsoft Services" on them? How can hackers impersonate Microsoft? The last time I saw "Microsoft Services" on my credit card was when Dianne used my credit card to buy apps for her phone from Microsoft. But that was long ago and she says she has not bought any apps since then.

Furthermore, those apps she bought from Microsoft were only a few dollars. But the charges I got this time from Microsoft Services were around $100 each. I don't think any smart phone apps would cost that much.

It's really weird.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is Target's FAQ page about the security breach.

https://corporate.target.com/about/shop ... -issue-FAQ

It says that the breach was closed after December 15. So the fraudulent charges on my card could not have been due to it. I don't think I went to Target when I was in California though.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Post by Teal Lantern »

I expect more is on the way.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2014/0118/ ... otato-hack
Target, six other retailers apparently no match for Russian teen’s 'potato' hack

Wielding a piece of malware called ‘potato’ in Russian, Eastern European hackers stormed past the digital firewalls of Target and six other retailers to steal credit cards belonging to a quarter of the US population.
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything