American mother wants to hide her child's intelligence

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

fschmidt wrote:No one with too high an IQ can survive American culture. In a borderline case, one can discourage intellectual development in order to lower IQ so that the child can fit into America. But over the threshold, the child should simply be removed from American culture or they will not survive. I lost 2 friends because of this.
I guess my father was trying in his own way to remove us from the muck. Thanks for your comment, helps me forgive him for the hardship.

And food for thought on how I raise children.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Renata wrote:I've decided to Home-school my baby. I like calling it Unschooling. I taught my baby to count to 20 in three languages (English, Spanish & Turkish) by playing Hide & Seek. We took turns hiding & counting, it was fun & after 1 week for about 2 hrs per day, my little one learned to count. My strategy is to make it fun & easy. Why does learning have to be so hard & uptight?
Learn through play. 8)
Ahh, mothers are great. Two hours a day. Hah. No way most guys would invest that in teaching such basics.

+1 for you, Renata.

How old?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

abcdavid01 wrote:I think if you're naturally smart there's a point where intellectual development just becomes masturbation. So your time gets better spent learning and doing other things. I don't know if this is minority view (among all intelligent people, parents, kids and single adults) or just something people don't talk about.
I see it as "grounding" an electrical charge. The kid for whom intellectual pursuits come easy, needs to be grounded with real-world pursuits. Sports, but also construction, business, etc.

If you can talk only to yourself, you're not a leader.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Renata wrote:I've decided to Home-school my baby. I like calling it Unschooling. ................My strategy is to make it fun & easy. Why does learning have to be so hard & uptight?
Learn through play. 8)
Def what I believe in. Waldorf schools, plus another chain or movement or approach, I forget the name. Generally, yes, Unschooling.

Depending on the kid's needs and the dad's talents, high school with others might become necessary for chem lab, sports, etc...

But i would never send off a small child to school again, to be tormented, hazed, conformed.