Why do so many Asians want to come to America?

For Asian Americans to discuss Asian American issues and topics.
celery2010
Freshman Poster

Post by celery2010 »

I think that most of the immigration comes from Korea and Taiwan and other less developed countries. The ones from less developed countries, China, SE Asia, it's not hard to understand. Not too many come from Japan, HK or Singapore (exact same living standard).

Taiwanese are a little mad; i've met many who are paranoid that one day mainland China will engulf Taiwan and thus want US or Canadian citizenship. Obviously some HKers have the same concerns. The Koreans however seem to be obsessed with coming to america, but that has finally started to change.

That said, when i was in mainland china, i met a girl who had visited the united states and said that she wasn't really interested in coming to the US. Similarly, the wife of a friend in Chengdu said the same thing (but had never left China except HK). She had visited HK but didn't have such positive things to say about it, mainly that it was really expensive.

Most of the mainland chinese immigrants are illegals from Fujian province (at least on the east coast).

Personally, i think that many asians are short sighted and do not fully understand the implications of how a move to the anglosphere would affect their life negatively. They only think of the reasons why they want to leave Asia and not the disadvantage of America and of living in America as a racial and cultural minority.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

From what I've seen of the new generation of Asian immigrants they are usually middle to upper middle class IT, engineers, or medical professionals who studied in the u.s. or established residency through working at substandard wages on a h1b visa. There is also a sizable contingent of wealthy mainland Chinese buying property and stashing their cash overseas. For the 60's immigrant wave it was different. In my parents case they were fleeing poverty. Since Taiwan and china in the 60s were both impoverished nations. This emphasis on hard work and material benefits is short sighted though because the society itself has a very marginal level of acceptance for East Asians. I think America is a particularly socially toxic environment for Asian men in most cases but its alright if you arrive here with a family already ready to work your ass off. In the 60's up until the 90's America was still the best choice. If you are a fob with a family then whether or not you can date outside the race or be accepted matters a lot less. However for the kids of such parents they are just now feeling the brunt of social exclusion and questioning the values in a society which views them as 3rd rate minorities. That's not to say that 2nd gen Asian Americans haven't been successful but I think the cost of such economic success hasn't been worth the other damaging social factors.
germanguy
Freshman Poster

Post by germanguy »

Many people in Asia, especially the ones in rather poor countries, are totally deluded about America. Most of all they are influenced by Western media: films, music, celebrities, football, obama, etc. It´s incredible how Hollywood paints a totally wrong picture about America. Kristen Stewart, Justin Bieber, people like that are worshipped even though they are totally talentless scum.

It´s really weird, Myanmar for example is an extremly conservative society, but they almost worship Obama. He was there last year and the whole country got excited about that. If anything, they should root for the republican party as their politics are much closer to what most Myanmar people think. They also think that the US is going to help them so the Myanmar people can benefit from the recent democratic reforms. Everybody knows that it´s the big corporations who really benefit and not the simple workers who work in some factory for a few dollars a day. Yet they pin their hopes on them. Most of them simply lack the skill to think critically.

They also think that Americans and westerners in general are rich, they have no clue how many people struggle to pay their bills. And they also have no clue how difficult it is to earn a good salary. One of my friends in Myanmar told me he was shocked to learn about the divorce-rates when he visited Sweden. He is a member of the church and had the chance to visit a church in Sweden. He was disgusted how even the pastors and priests didn´t seem to try to follow the bible. Things like that are often totally unknown.

So in short, the media has painted a wrong picture about the west and that´s why they have wrong ideas about the US.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

I agree with everything Repatriate and Germnaguy just posted...I do see an interesting trend of Asian Americans heading back to Asia-- coming from friends, acquaintances, and even from Asian posters on this forum and others. A 'reverse brain drain,' if you will. Soon...I predict the best and the brightest of Asians will leave the U.S. and return back to their motherlands--something that is already happening with Indians and Chinese.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

celery2010 wrote: That said, when i was in mainland china, i met a girl who had visited the united states and said that she wasn't really interested in coming to the US. Similarly, the wife of a friend in Chengdu said the same thing (but had never left China except HK). She had visited HK but didn't have such positive things to say about it, mainly that it was really expensive.
I just flew back from Hong Kong (will post pics later). Given choice I would NOT want to live there. High density, poor central planning (vs Singapore) equals to tall apartment buildings blocking air flow in the city. The air quality was poor and if I had to stay there for some reason, I'd want to be in a rural area of Lantou Island.

HK has to import most resources and the prices are high. The bulk of the population are squeezed into ~25% of the territory in high-rise condos with shoe-box sized units. Real Estate is very expensive and many locals out to eat out because they lack suitable kitchens at home. Breakfast places actually have instant noodles on the menu, and breakfast sandwich is a piece of grilled spam between bread.

The Cantonese are well known for their cuisine, but I must have went to all the wrong places. IMO the dim sum in Rosemead (Los Angeles) is better than what I had in Hong Kong, and for some odd reason my relatives there insisted on taking me to Hakka and Teochow restaurants. About 15% of Taiwan's residents are Hakka and I didn't really need to go all the way to HK to eat at a Hakka restaurant there. >_<

Ugh. Need to sleep off my jet lag. Will be back in Asia (Singapore) in couple of months. Why do Asian Americans want to come to US? I like my king sized bed and clean air in California.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Momopi: Your answer about why you like America is so Asian. I think most Asians look at the relative material prosperity, clean air, superficial neat surroundings in the suburbs and come to the conclusion it's a great place. Maybe it is if you find your niche or you're importing a family but I feel that much of the American positives when it comes to socialization and quality of life tends to be severely lacking especially if you're an extrovert who enjoys socializing and dating many kinds of attractive women.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Repatriate wrote:Momopi: Your answer about why you like America is so Asian. I think most Asians look at the relative material prosperity, clean air, superficial neat surroundings in the suburbs and come to the conclusion it's a great place. Maybe it is if you find your niche or you're importing a family but I feel that much of the American positives when it comes to socialization and quality of life tends to be severely lacking especially if you're an extrovert who enjoys socializing and dating many kinds of attractive women.

viewtopic.php?t=13779&postdays=0&postor ... u&start=90

"Back in 1970s, after my grandfather lost the farm (apple orchid) in Nantou and the factory where my father worked in Changhua closed, we moved to Taipei to start over. It was a terrible time for me as I was unaccustomed to the city pollution. I was sick all the time and had to visit the doctor almost every week."

"they (my parents) took me to the doctors, and when traditional medicine and western medicine didn’t help, they took the lesson from the mother of Menicus and we packed our bags & moved to the cleaner coastal cities of Orange County, California. When I first arrived, my elementary school teacher commented that I looked like a malnourished Vietnamese boat refugee. Thank goodness my parents didn’t stay in Taipei to rant; otherwise I’d have been royally screwed."

My quality of life means breathing clean(er) air and not being ill. There is nothing wrong with going abroad for better dating opportunities, I flew to Asia 6 times in 2007-2008 for my ex-fiance. However, just as I wouldn't want to live in Downtown Los Angeles, I wouldn't live in Hong Kong either.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Having been back and forth from Asia to the U.S. for a short time now (S.Korea, Thailand, China), I don't understand why more Asian Americans aren't flocking back to Asia. The U.S. is a sh*thole and becoming more of a joke country each day. The other day, a Chinese parent was asking me why America is full of crazy people, after the news of the latest mass shooting to come out of America (Aaron Alexis Navy Yard shooting).

And also, if you're an Asian male, why in the hell would you want to be treated like garbage just for a chance to make money in the States or any other Anglo country, for example? It's a soulless, evil place to be in...

I can understand why Asian females would like to come to the U.S.--but even they face racism in the country, unlike what Ladislav has to say about them. Take a look at the latest controversy surrounding Asian American sell-out Julie Chen for example, and you will see that even Asian females get a lot of crap in the country...

I've met some Asian Americans/Asian Canadians/and other overseas Asians--and they seem happier in Asia than back home in America/Canada/Australia, etc. But, of course, you still have your malcontents that are not happy anywhere in the world, and a small percentage that like it better in America and other Western Anglo countries better, for some reason...

When i made this thread, I was trying to figure out why Asians were so desperate in trying to move to other Anglo/White countries. I think Odbo had the best response in the whole thread...and sadly, I don't think Asians will ever change their views on moving to White countries...or for that matter, most Asian Americans moving back to Asia, unfortunately...
mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

I'm in the Philippines, and as fcked as it sounds: most people that I meet DO NOT WANT to live in the USA.

It seems I got sold out when my family moved to the USA.
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

mguy wrote:I'm in the Philippines, and as fcked as it sounds: most people that I meet DO NOT WANT to live in the USA.

It seems I got sold out when my family moved to the USA.
It seems though that rich Filipinos love moving to the US and living here.

Look at the great time they are having here:

A young Filipina in America such as a nurse or a teacher has a great time. They have men at their feet.

Many Filipino guys I knew also looked happy- a spring in their step, walking proud. Some did look tired though, especially those who had no family here. But among all Asian people in the US, the Filipinos looked the happiest- walking around like they own the place.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Post by Halwick »

I've lived in Los Angeles, CA for over 35 years and have close ties to the Asian communities.

The Japanese, Taiwanese and Koreans I've talked to and come in contact on a daily basis, say they came to the U.S., particularly to California, because there is a sense of "freedom" or "feeling of freedom", i.e., one can say, do and be whatever they want. In their countries, they say there are strict social protocol, standards of behavior and class restrictions that one must adhere to.

The women I've talked to tells me that in their countries they do not have career and economic opportunities. For example, in Japan, women are restricted to clerical or "Office Ladies" jobs. Here in the U.S., they can be whatever they aspire to be. In fact, many have.

And if they are over 30 or have children from previous marriage, their marriage opportunities are practically non-existent.

The Asians who have assimilated to the U.S. way of living say they LIKE it here and would NOT go back to their countries.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

zboy1 wrote: And also, if you're an Asian male, why in the hell would you want to be treated like garbage just for a chance to make money in the States or any other Anglo country, for example? It's a soulless, evil place to be in...
As an Asian American, I don't expect every other Asian Americans to love or hate America. I personally do not feel like I'm treated "like garbage". Some say that Asian American women have it good here, yet I've known several who hated living in the US and moved back to Asia. I also have friends and relatives who moved to China for work and returned to the US, because they did not like living in China for the long-term.

IMO everyone who is able should spend some time abroad for the experience, but it's not my role to tell people that they "should" love or hate it. Instead, let the person choose, and nudge them toward that goal. It's said that if you send 10 people to Japan on study abroad, 3 will have a great time, 4 will have a mediocre time, and remaining 3 will have a sh*tty time and want to go home ASAP. Until the person actually go there, it's difficult to say if he or she will love it or hate it.

If by 'soulless" you mean lack of humanity and compassion for others, ask yourself if you'd rather be injured in an accident in US or China. In America, if I were crossing the street and someone hit me in an accident, the driver will likely stop or at least a good Samaritan will call 911. In China, I'd do everything in my power to roll myself off the road, because the next car might run me over.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Code: Select all

The Japanese, Taiwanese and Koreans I've talked to and come in contact on a daily basis, say they came to the U.S., particularly to California,  because there is a sense of "freedom" or "feeling of freedom", i.e., one can say, do and be whatever they want.  In their countries, they say there are strict social protocol, standards of behavior and class restrictions that one must adhere to.
I guess everyone who is anywhere for any significant length of time has certain reasons to be there otherwise, he/she would not be there too long ( unless imprisoned). And there are as many reasons as there are people. I guess those Asians know better if they are in the US because they had individual circumstances which formulated their priorities.

E. Euros that I know, particularly men, don't like it here because of so many rules and laws and people with fake smiles and women who do not want to date them. And the social rules are restrictive too. Can't talk to women, you'll get arrested for sexual harassment; can't talk to men, they'll think you're a homo, can't talk to kids- they think you are a perv. They hate that. But some love US for other reasons and accept the total picture. So, there's never a blanket reason.

No happy US-based Asian or anyone else would be on this forum.
The women I've talked to tell me that in their countries they do not have career and economic opportunities. For example, in Japan, women are restricted to clerical or "Office Ladies" jobs. Here in the U.S., they can be whatever they aspire to be. In fact, many have

Oh, yes. Same for gays and Jews, anyone who is not a white male.

I used to hate seeing those 32 year old Japanese women in CA who were very unattractive and who would tell me that guys would bring them flowers to work, etc.
And if they are over 30 or have children from previous marriage, their marriage opportunities are practically non-existent.
One 39 year old separated Filipina with 3 kids had 40 men fight over her in Los Angeles. Freaking aye man!

In Japan, no one will even rent to them. No anti-discrimination laws there.
The Asians who have assimilated to the U.S. way of living say they LIKE it here and would NOT go back to their countries.
As long as in their minds they can put up with the inconveniences and just concentrate on their goals, that's OK I guess.

There are some 35-50,000 Americans in Saudi Arabia. It's supposed to be hell on earth but I've met many who have been there for 20-35 years. They love it. I loved it too.

Here in Akron, I go to a Chinese restaurant. It's one big Chinese family that runs it. They are nice and friendly ( probably FOBs with an SBA loan) and they are what I call noodle-mixing robots. Fry- serve-get the money- lather rinse-repeat. You could rarely see a happier bunch. I saw the same joy on the Chinese/Japanese/VNese/etc faces in Australia.

Why couldn't Winston be one of them? Why did he need to dream of snowy steppes of Russia and blond Slavic maidens?
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

If you run a Chinese restaurant that caters to non-Chinese, it's a lot easier and the customers are not as demanding. My family ran 3 Chinese restaurants in California and catering to your own ethnicity was difficult, because ethnic Chinese are more picky with Chinese food and are willing to drive the distance to eat at a "better" restaurant.

After we sold off our restaurants, my mother was recruited by Panda Express to work as an assistant store manager. Within a couple of years she became store manager then multi-store (area) manager in the Mission Viejo area. Her comment was that running Panda Express was "easy" compared to our previous family-owned restaurants, and she did not understand why the other store managers had a hard time with simple problems.

With our family restaurants, we had to go (or contract) shopping for groceries at LA grocery whole-sellers early int he morning, do all the prep work, open until 9 PM then stay afterwards to scrub the kitchen. The customers were demanding and we didn't make much money. Business was poor on weekdays and staff turnover was high.

With Panda Express, my mother just arrive in the morning and unlock the place, most of the work are done by other employees and the food is pre-prepared and delivered in trays from the distribution center. Even the sauces are pre-pared and mixed. Just open and dunk into the wok, stir-fry and dunk into the hot table. My mother spent her time juggling inventory and serving food from the hot table. The mostly non-Asian customers rarely complained, were not demanding, and came throughout the week. The pay wasn't very high but came with great benefits. She did so well that the company sent her to company retreats at Hawaii and Lake Tahoe before she quit.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

ladislav wrote:
It seems though that rich Filipinos love moving to the US and living here.

Look at the great time they are having here:

A young Filipina in America such as a nurse or a teacher has a great time. They have men at their feet.

Many Filipino guys I knew also looked happy- a spring in their step, walking proud. Some did look tired though, especially those who had no family here. But among all Asian people in the US, the Filipinos looked the happiest- walking around like they own the place.
Beautiful people.

I wish them well.