On my way to China next month

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

The 3 S's of rural China which you should get used to:

(1) Smoking

It's like beer in the US, except it's literally everywhere. People smoke in buses, offices, restaurants, and all sorts of places. Most rural Chinese peasants will always carry a lighter in their pocket. Even government officials and police officers will offer you cigarettes as a sign of goodwill. It's completely OK to refuse by saying, "No thanks, I don't smoke." They're just being friendly, and in rural China, that's a way to break the ice.

(2) Spitting

A result of smoking and air pollution. First you'll hear them clearing their throats (aaah-cccchhhh ["as in Bach"]), and then the spit, which usually goes 45 degrees very fast and far. If you hear someone clearing his throat, that's a big warning sign! :P

(3) Squatting

Rural Chinese peasants like popping squats by the side of the road when they get tired. They will do that even if there's a curbside or steps right by to sit on. Below: Mainland Chinese squatting on right, Hong Kongers standing on left.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Ah, a 711, the best thing about Asia.

I've seen a lot of the squatting thing in Japan, I'll dig out some photos.

In all my time in China I only ever recall seeing 2 women smoking. Oh, and my ex was partial to one, but she swears that she doesn't smoke lol.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Post by Jacaré »

So i've been back from China at the end of September and noticed I hadn't posted a follow up to this thread. Apologies for that as I have been very busy with things in here. Here are some random thoughts:

I liked the girls there, they were very feminine, fashionable and sweet. I met about 10 girls in a week with absolutely no effort. I had pipelined one girl from Cherry Blossom. She was hot in her pics and she emailed me her number the day I got there. I called her and her friend picked up saying that her friend doesn't speak English and that she will help me with that. I got kind of suspicious but went with it. They came and picked me up at my hotel after they finished their work and we went to their part of town for some delicious barbeque. Once their, and during most of my interactions with the chinese girls, one thing I really liked about them was that they always offered and insisted on paying for their way and even for the entire bill. A couple of times, I almost got into an argument with them as they wouldn't let me pay. The complete opposite of say the Philippines, parts of Thailand and Latin America. Quite refreshing to say the least.

The next day, the English speaking friend, a cute short 22 year old came with another of her friend who spoke some english. She was cute and bubbly but not really my style but I wanted to be nice to her as she was very nice. That girl said she was a tourist guide and offered to take me the next day, a sunday, on a tour of GZ. I gladly accepted. That day, she texted me asking if it was ok for her to bring some of her girlfriends. I accepted and we met with 3 of her friends. Her friends consisted of 1 tall, ok looking girl, and 2 beautiful younger ones. One was 19 and a true stunner and dressed very nicely and another 1, a 22 year old, beautiful as well. I got a good vibe from all of them but it was the 22 year old that gave me the best vibe and I clearly saw she was really interested, calling me several times to take a picture with her and calling me baby. We all went to the museum and around the TV tower, which is absolutely stunning. Good times.

After that, we went for some pizza in the Tianhe Department store, which is a nice upscale mall. While eating, they would always take care of me, always pouring more drinks on my glass. When the pizza arrived, they would give me the best and biggest slice before helping themselves. Once they were done, they were serving me more pizza and they stopped eating. I asked them why they were not eating and they simply said that "i'm the man and I need to eat more than them, the girls." I was blown away. Not only they were polite, kind, charming and very feminine, but they also paid their way! At the end, when the bill came, I just grabbed it from the waitress and at first they didn't want me to pay it but I insisted. And they were very grateful. What is the likelyhood of such an experience happening with a North American women? LOL

Over the next few days, I kept meeting each day these girls and they would each day bring a new friend of them, another charming and sexy girl. In the meantime, a guy I knew that lives and teaches there gave my number to all his female students and I was getting quite a few calls and sms each day from them wanting to meet me. Needless to say, I had my hands quite full. I was there officially for a business scouting trip but I didn't get much done on that save one day where I got to the leather market with a cool guy I met there. Quite an eye opening experience. There are tons of opportunities there for business!

Another thing that really impressed and surprised me there was the relatively low cost of things. I was staying in the best part of town for about 30-35$/night, on the 25th floor of a brand new building. And my suite was very big, even had a washing machine and a full kitchen and within 6 minutes walking distance from the Zhujiang New Town station. Couple of examples, we went to a nice Brisith pub, we were at first 5 guys but then were joined by their friends, so in total, about 10 of us, had a lot of drinks, about 3-4 of those huge beer towers, plus good food and other drinks and the entire bill came to about 600RMB or about 100 bucks. Not bad for 10 guys all night drinking and eating at a british pub in the best part of town...And the first night, eating delicious bbq and beers with 3 girls and the entire bill came to about 15$. Unreal!

The biggest challenge there was the language barrier. I went one afternoon to the Tianhe Mall to buy a cell phone and it took me 3 hours to do that. At one point, the entire sales staff of the store were all around me trying to help me. I only asked them 2 simple questions: is it unlocked and can i use it in other countries? It was almost comical. Another time, tried taking the metro from the Zhujiang station to the Tianhe mall which is like 2 stops away and I couldn't make the names of the station and when I went to the customer service office, no one spoke english and they didn't have any maps. So just gave up and cabbed it, a cheap 10RMB (1.80$). Another time, went to the same mall trying to buy a pair of shorts as it was hot as hell and the staff couldn't understand me even when i was making hand gestures for a short. After 5 minutes back and forth of them bringing me pants, I just laughed and left.

Overall, I really enjoyed it there and I can't wait to return. This time not just for a week but to live there for at least a year or two, to really learn Mandarin and to build a good business. Opportunities there are simply outstanding as GZ and the Guangdong Province are not only the richest province in China but also the manufacturing capital of China and of the world. Plus it's close proximity to Hong Kong, a fast, easy and comfortable 2 hour train rides makes it an unbeatable location. From the talks I've had with expats living there, i'd only need about 1500/2000$/month to have a great lifestyle there. I've been around the world and lived in 3 continents and so far, GZ is the closest I've come to the total package. Lifestyle, women, cost of living, weather, opportunities, and ease of access to and from other great locations near by make it a no brainer.

While there, went with a sweet girl who spoke fluent English to visit a couple of local universities. Don't remember the names at this time but I could post them at a later time if anyone's interested. I went there to check their chinese course for foreigners and they both quoted about 8kRMB per semester, 20 hours a week in a small class consisting of 8-10 students. 8kRMB is about 1269 bucks per semester. Not a bad deal if you ask me. That looks like an option for when I return...

Another thing that I really loved about GZ is the calibre of people you meet, specially the expats. Majority of people there are for business and achieving great to extraordinary things there. Met a few such young expats doing simply mind blowing stuff. And the guys were very friendly and helpful. One guy I met on the elevator of my building, from Amsterdam, was very kind enough to not only have drinks with me to give me tips on doing business in China but also graciously accepted the following day to allow me to come with him to meet his suppliers as he was to place new orders for his business. Simply outstanding!I got the feelign that in China, one could meet and achieve things that would be near impossible in the more structured and formal North American system. China looked and is a kind of elevator to the good life and success in business compared to the painfully slow stairways system in the North American system.

To answer some questions:
Winston: I'm 32, white mediteranean looking. I didn't do anything other than just pipelining 1 girl online prior to my trip and ended up meeting about 9-10 of her friends, ranging from a 6 to an 8, the 22 year old that was into me and a 9, the 19 year old. The oldest girl I interacted with was the girl I had initially pipelined with she was 28. All were single and interested in meeting a nice foreigner and in me in particular. While talking to my expat friends there, the consensus was that once I live there, I could easily meet and date as many women as I could handle it. And they told me that since the Chinese guys are the biggest betas ever, they will not approach girls even pissed drunk, let alone sober so the girls really like when a foreigner approaches them and the girls like that in a guy. They love a confident western man, which is the complete opposite of the beta local guys. Even while riding the metro, saw a lot of bored, fashionable and feminine office ladies who looked very approachable and tasty. As I said, once you live there, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. :)

All in all, I invite you guys all to check China and specially Guangzhou. You will not find a better place that has it all: beautiful, sexy, feminine and sweet/kind women who are not leeches and who have their own money, great food, awesome quality of life for cheap and stupendous business opportunities. Great weather, albeit hot and humid during the summer, but at least it doesn't get cold in the winter, within a stone throw of Hong Kong and with very easy access to other awesome locales in Asia. I know that this is the place i will be moving from next September for a couple of years. Any questions, shoot away and I'll do my best to answer them here.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Jacaré wrote:So i've been back from China at the end of September and noticed I hadn't posted a follow up to this thread. Apologies for that as I have been very busy with things in here. Here are some random thoughts:

I liked the girls there, they were very feminine, fashionable and sweet. I met about 10 girls in a week with absolutely no effort. I had pipelined one girl from Cherry Blossom. She was hot in her pics and she emailed me her number the day I got there. I called her and her friend picked up saying that her friend doesn't speak English and that she will help me with that. I got kind of suspicious but went with it. They came and picked me up at my hotel after they finished their work and we went to their part of town for some delicious barbeque. Once their, and during most of my interactions with the chinese girls, one thing I really liked about them was that they always offered and insisted on paying for their way and even for the entire bill. A couple of times, I almost got into an argument with them as they wouldn't let me pay. The complete opposite of say the Philippines, parts of Thailand and Latin America. Quite refreshing to say the least.

The next day, the English speaking friend, a cute short 22 year old came with another of her friend who spoke some english. She was cute and bubbly but not really my style but I wanted to be nice to her as she was very nice. That girl said she was a tourist guide and offered to take me the next day, a sunday, on a tour of GZ. I gladly accepted. That day, she texted me asking if it was ok for her to bring some of her girlfriends. I accepted and we met with 3 of her friends. Her friends consisted of 1 tall, ok looking girl, and 2 beautiful younger ones. One was 19 and a true stunner and dressed very nicely and another 1, a 22 year old, beautiful as well. I got a good vibe from all of them but it was the 22 year old that gave me the best vibe and I clearly saw she was really interested, calling me several times to take a picture with her and calling me baby. We all went to the museum and around the TV tower, which is absolutely stunning. Good times.

After that, we went for some pizza in the Tianhe Department store, which is a nice upscale mall. While eating, they would always take care of me, always pouring more drinks on my glass. When the pizza arrived, they would give me the best and biggest slice before helping themselves. Once they were done, they were serving me more pizza and they stopped eating. I asked them why they were not eating and they simply said that "i'm the man and I need to eat more than them, the girls." I was blown away. Not only they were polite, kind, charming and very feminine, but they also paid their way! At the end, when the bill came, I just grabbed it from the waitress and at first they didn't want me to pay it but I insisted. And they were very grateful. What is the likelyhood of such an experience happening with a North American women? LOL

Over the next few days, I kept meeting each day these girls and they would each day bring a new friend of them, another charming and sexy girl. In the meantime, a guy I knew that lives and teaches there gave my number to all his female students and I was getting quite a few calls and sms each day from them wanting to meet me. Needless to say, I had my hands quite full. I was there officially for a business scouting trip but I didn't get much done on that save one day where I got to the leather market with a cool guy I met there. Quite an eye opening experience. There are tons of opportunities there for business!

Another thing that really impressed and surprised me there was the relatively low cost of things. I was staying in the best part of town for about 30-35$/night, on the 25th floor of a brand new building. And my suite was very big, even had a washing machine and a full kitchen and within 6 minutes walking distance from the Zhujiang New Town station. Couple of examples, we went to a nice Brisith pub, we were at first 5 guys but then were joined by their friends, so in total, about 10 of us, had a lot of drinks, about 3-4 of those huge beer towers, plus good food and other drinks and the entire bill came to about 600RMB or about 100 bucks. Not bad for 10 guys all night drinking and eating at a british pub in the best part of town...And the first night, eating delicious bbq and beers with 3 girls and the entire bill came to about 15$. Unreal!

The biggest challenge there was the language barrier. I went one afternoon to the Tianhe Mall to buy a cell phone and it took me 3 hours to do that. At one point, the entire sales staff of the store were all around me trying to help me. I only asked them 2 simple questions: is it unlocked and can i use it in other countries? It was almost comical. Another time, tried taking the metro from the Zhujiang station to the Tianhe mall which is like 2 stops away and I couldn't make the names of the station and when I went to the customer service office, no one spoke english and they didn't have any maps. So just gave up and cabbed it, a cheap 10RMB (1.80$). Another time, went to the same mall trying to buy a pair of shorts as it was hot as hell and the staff couldn't understand me even when i was making hand gestures for a short. After 5 minutes back and forth of them bringing me pants, I just laughed and left.

Overall, I really enjoyed it there and I can't wait to return. This time not just for a week but to live there for at least a year or two, to really learn Mandarin and to build a good business. Opportunities there are simply outstanding as GZ and the Guangdong Province are not only the richest province in China but also the manufacturing capital of China and of the world. Plus it's close proximity to Hong Kong, a fast, easy and comfortable 2 hour train rides makes it an unbeatable location. From the talks I've had with expats living there, i'd only need about 1500/2000$/month to have a great lifestyle there. I've been around the world and lived in 3 continents and so far, GZ is the closest I've come to the total package. Lifestyle, women, cost of living, weather, opportunities, and ease of access to and from other great locations near by make it a no brainer.

While there, went with a sweet girl who spoke fluent English to visit a couple of local universities. Don't remember the names at this time but I could post them at a later time if anyone's interested. I went there to check their chinese course for foreigners and they both quoted about 8kRMB per semester, 20 hours a week in a small class consisting of 8-10 students. 8kRMB is about 1269 bucks per semester. Not a bad deal if you ask me. That looks like an option for when I return...

Another thing that I really loved about GZ is the calibre of people you meet, specially the expats. Majority of people there are for business and achieving great to extraordinary things there. Met a few such young expats doing simply mind blowing stuff. And the guys were very friendly and helpful. One guy I met on the elevator of my building, from Amsterdam, was very kind enough to not only have drinks with me to give me tips on doing business in China but also graciously accepted the following day to allow me to come with him to meet his suppliers as he was to place new orders for his business. Simply outstanding!I got the feelign that in China, one could meet and achieve things that would be near impossible in the more structured and formal North American system. China looked and is a kind of elevator to the good life and success in business compared to the painfully slow stairways system in the North American system.

To answer some questions:
Winston: I'm 32, white mediteranean looking. I didn't do anything other than just pipelining 1 girl online prior to my trip and ended up meeting about 9-10 of her friends, ranging from a 6 to an 8, the 22 year old that was into me and a 9, the 19 year old. The oldest girl I interacted with was the girl I had initially pipelined with she was 28. All were single and interested in meeting a nice foreigner and in me in particular. While talking to my expat friends there, the consensus was that once I live there, I could easily meet and date as many women as I could handle it. And they told me that since the Chinese guys are the biggest betas ever, they will not approach girls even pissed drunk, let alone sober so the girls really like when a foreigner approaches them and the girls like that in a guy. They love a confident western man, which is the complete opposite of the beta local guys. Even while riding the metro, saw a lot of bored, fashionable and feminine office ladies who looked very approachable and tasty. As I said, once you live there, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. :)

All in all, I invite you guys all to check China and specially Guangzhou. You will not find a better place that has it all: beautiful, sexy, feminine and sweet/kind women who are not leeches and who have their own money, great food, awesome quality of life for cheap and stupendous business opportunities. Great weather, albeit hot and humid during the summer, but at least it doesn't get cold in the winter, within a stone throw of Hong Kong and with very easy access to other awesome locales in Asia. I know that this is the place i will be moving from next September for a couple of years. Any questions, shoot away and I'll do my best to answer them here.
Sounds like heaven on earth!!

ok my question --

what about healing stuff?
I mean like acupuncture, straight massage, foot massage, tai chi groups outdoors, etc.

Visible and available?
Prices?
Quality?
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Wow, great trip report!

On the language thing, I found I had a big advantage in being able to read some characters. I found I was able to read many of the metro stop names without seeing the English. Taking a basic Mandarin course before you go to China is very useful.

English is quite widely spoken in Guangzhou, but the people you want to speak English never do!

China is generally cheap, although you might be disappointed to find that iStuff costs more than it does in the states.

On the University thing, just about all Chinese universities have a language training programme. It's really intended for people who want to get the HSK4/5 certificates before doing a degree in China. However, they'll really let anyone on. Apparently most foreign students in China are actually Koreans - they must save a stack of cash by studying in China.

If you're a white collar man in your 30's/40's then check out the MBA's you can do in China. Many are taught in English and would really boost your career. I thought about this option, but most courses don't start until next Sept.

Foot massage and stuff is all very cheap, I don't know exact prices. Anything that involves manual labour is really cheap - China has plenty of manpower! I got my shoes shined in Hubei Province and it cost $0.30 - the guy even took the laces out and washed them!
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Jacare,
Was this site blocked in China? Some people there say they can't get to this site or if they do, they can only access it for 10 minutes before it's blocked. Did you experience that? I thought that might be why you didn't give us any more trip reports?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

HA worked OK when I was there. FB and YouTube are always blocked. The BBC is sometimes blocked, but I've always been able to see the Telegraph news site. Google services cut out sometimes which is annoying.

Actually some of this might be due to the poor quality ethernet cables. Oh, and in Guangzhou my hotel gave me a computer that had seen better days:

Expedia said the hotel rooms had free computers, lol at checkout they tried to charge me for this (which I'd only used as a footrest).

BTW I don't want to threadjack, but I'm now pretty much officially going to live in Guangzhou, China - my course starts February 20th, 2013. Winston I'm gonna haul your ass off that island and get you to come meet some ladies!!!!
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Post by Jacaré »

Winston,
HA worked fine in China however FB and Youtube as reported do not work. But that can easily be overcome with using a proxy. Make sure you do get a proxy before going to China.

XM,
LOL at that pre-historic computer. I'm also dead set on living in GZ from September 2013. Are you still going to be there at the time? Yeah we definitely need to get Winston out of his tiny island and get him to see the stunning ladies of GZ.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Jacaré wrote:Winston,
HA worked fine in China however FB and Youtube as reported do not work. But that can easily be overcome with using a proxy. Make sure you do get a proxy before going to China.

XM,
LOL at that pre-historic computer. I'm also dead set on living in GZ from September 2013. Are you still going to be there at the time? Yeah we definitely need to get Winston out of his tiny island and get him to see the stunning ladies of GZ.
Well some Chinese ladies said they couldn't access HA. I don't know why. Any idea? I guess that's a good thing then, cause then they won't be able to see all the damaging self-incriminating info about me being a player on this site. lol

How do you "get a proxy" exactly? I thought you just use third party sites like http://www.hidemyass.com ?

Why is GZ better than any other city in China?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
ethan_sg
Freshman Poster

Post by ethan_sg »

Don't spend your whole life contemplating where to go but end up not going anywhere Winston.

You've got passive income generated through this site and you're going to have 2 buddies living in Guangzhou soon (Xiongmao and Jacere). Time for a new adventure. God knows if I had passive income I would be having tons of adventures in China now.

You're Pisces aren't you Winston? Pisces tend to be very creative, emotionally deep, spiritual creatures but tend to lack focus and need someone (especially a Scorpio) to push them in the right direction.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Lmao. Loads of proxy services exist, but last time I used VPN to connect to my employer's network. I'll sort out a VPN provider before I go. Most sites Ineed access to work OK in China, but my family will probably want me to update FB occasionally.

Yes I am going to Gz in February 2013. I've signed up for a year, but I don't know what I'll do after that. I might also go back to the UK in the Summer, as Gz will be too hot for anyone.

Gz is great - there's a metro that runs to the airport and most corners of the city. The weather is better than most of the rest of China. Chinese winters are horrible. Gz isn't too polluted, and it's not too poor. The airport has great connections if you want to go to Thailand or the Phillies, and of course HK is just on the doorstep.

It's also fairly foreigner friendly. One good thing is that it's fairly multi-cultural, and the Cantonese aren't snobbish about "foreign" food like the Shanghainese seemed to be.

Lastly, Gz is one of the best places on the planet to study business or make money, because it is the import/export capital of the world.

OMG, I forgot the ladies! Gz and Shenzhen (Sz) are absolutely full of ladies! Many are from Sichuan/Hubei/Hunan and have poured into Guangdong in search of jobs. English speakers are commonplace. There are so many office ladies that they vastly outnumber professional-class men, so the ladies often want foreign husbands.

Gz is also a good place to find foreigner-friendly women. Cantonese women are quite mild and make great wives. Western men have a huge thing for Hunan girls, of which there are many in Gz. Hubei and Sichuan girls are spicy. I've not dated any Sichuan girls as English speakers are quite rare.