My Plan to Move Abroad - Xiongmao

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Another small update. I watched a BBC Ken Hom/Ching He Huang cooking show (maybe its on iPlayer if you're interested). Episode 2 was set in Chengdu. I was interested in going there. Now I'm not.

Chengdu doesn't look that great a place to go. The weather is bad, and the ladies seem quite traditional. Also there doesn't seem much to do there. I'd get stupidly bored. It reminded me of neighbouring Hubei Province. So I don't think it's such a great place to live or to find a Chinese bride.

I'm glad I watched that show. So I'm still set on Guangzhou. It's certainly nothing like Chengdu. They might as well be in different countries.

BTW I have no interest in Zhuhai other than the fact that it's one of the places in Asia you can get your TEFL certificate. I'm not buying Chinese property either - property rights are non-existent in China.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I need to advance my plans to go to Asia for a while.

I've written a small article about studying in China. Check it out. If anyone wants a Chinese wife, then I can recommend learning Mandarin Chinese somewhere.

The biggest issue at the moment is that I can't resign from my job because my boss is away, and I can't actually start studying in China until the next semester (February). Oh well, all in good time.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Post by Jacaré »

Nice article you've written! I read it and you're making me consider going for an MBA in GZ! Very smart move indeed!

Cheers.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Hi everyone,

Well, it's decided then. I will go to China in February 2013.

Why not earlier? Well I have missed the boat for starting a University course there in 2012, so I'll aim for the next semester. Besides, it gives me enough time to save more cash, as I want to spend as long out there as possible.

Also China operates on a lunar calendar, and the new year is quite late next year.

Anyway, I'm going to study Mandarin Chinese, which will help if I want to date the non-English speakers. Also being in a University will be great for meeting people from China and all over the World.

Finally, it's actually quite difficult for a Western guy to just go and live in China. Enrolling as a student gives you an X visa, which allows you to enter and leave China without any hassles. So I'll be able to visit HK, Macau and (hopefully) the Philippines!

English teaching is another option you could consider, but I'm not really interested in doing this.

I am going to Guangzhou, which is the Chinese city I know most about. It's more expensive than other cities, but it is Westerner friendly and a great place to hustle. It's also marvellously bonkers and a very exciting city to visit.

Also there are now direct flights from London, yay for that!

Anyway, let me know if you're in the vicinity of Guangzhou. I'll certainly be dragging Winston's ass out of Taiwan and get him to meet some white-legged Chinese beauties!!!
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

xiongmao wrote:Hi everyone,

Well, it's decided then. I will go to China in February 2013.

Why not earlier? Well I have missed the boat for starting a University course there in 2012, so I'll aim for the next semester. Besides, it gives me enough time to save more cash, as I want to spend as long out there as possible.

Also China operates on a lunar calendar, and the new year is quite late next year.

Anyway, I'm going to study Mandarin Chinese, which will help if I want to date the non-English speakers. Also being in a University will be great for meeting people from China and all over the World.

Finally, it's actually quite difficult for a Western guy to just go and live in China. Enrolling as a student gives you an X visa, which allows you to enter and leave China without any hassles. So I'll be able to visit HK, Macau and (hopefully) the Philippines!

English teaching is another option you could consider, but I'm not really interested in doing this.

I am going to Guangzhou, which is the Chinese city I know most about. It's more expensive than other cities, but it is Westerner friendly and a great place to hustle. It's also marvellously bonkers and a very exciting city to visit.

Also there are now direct flights from London, yay for that!

Anyway, let me know if you're in the vicinity of Guangzhou. I'll certainly be dragging Winston's ass out of Taiwan and get him to meet some white-legged Chinese beauties!!!
Sounds like a great plan XM! Conjugating learning a new culture and language with the endless dating opportunities of student life. You will probably like it's grittier, more authentic vibe compared to the more aseptic Shenzhen. Which companies are flying direct to GZ now? I remember I chose a promotional Finnair flight via Helsinki.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Horray, my plan is advancing!

Yesterday I walked out of a stupid corporate groupthink exercise. So my job is over - I'm free to go to China.

I'm gonna go to Guangzhou, China in February 2013.

My problem is there isn't a visa available for "man has a bit of money saved up and will survive by hustling". I can't be bothered with visa runs and uncertainty - like China having one of its periodic clampdowns on foreigners.

So I'm gonna enrol at a Chinese University and study Chinese part time (~20hr/week). That gets me a visa to come and go as I please (unlimited trips to HK, Macau, Phillies, Thailand), stupendously cheap healthcare ($6 a month) and cheap campus food ($50 a month). The Uni is around $2800 a year (Guangzhou isn't the cheapest city in China, neither am I going to the cheapest Uni), and accommodation is around $250 a month.

When I'm there I'll haul Winston's sorry ass off that island province and get him to come meet some ladies in China!

Sounds like a plan :-).
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Well, it's decided then. I will go to China in February 2013.....

I'll certainly be dragging Winston's a** out of Taiwan and get him to meet some white-legged Chinese beauties!!!
Looking forward to the video of this.

"Winston Gone Wild"
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Jester wrote:

Well, it's decided then. I will go to China in February 2013.....

I'll certainly be dragging Winston's a** out of Taiwan and get him to meet some white-legged Chinese beauties!!!
Looking forward to the video of this.

"Winston Gone Wild"
Just rememember, if you capture his misadventures and awkwardness with girls on film -- his website page-view count will soar.

heh heh
So whatever humilation you put him through, he will willingly endure!

:lol: :D 8)
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Ha ha ha. But first I need to get him to leave his mom's house in Taiwan Province (as it's referred to in some circles).

Anyway, I'm really excited about my plans. It's damned hard to change your life (witness all the armchair travelers here) but my business lady friend is right, I'm wasting my life right now.

I do have four un-met ladies on my QQ - a *very* attractive Hubei girl, my former translator from Chnlove/Asian Beauties (she must know 1000's of ladies), a cute little Hunan girl and a naughty looking Cantonese minx. I have also successfully friendzoned one lady I've met, and she is starting to make noises about introducing guys to her single friends.

Anyone who wants to come meet Chinese ladies, I'll gladly show you round Guangzhou as I'll be living pretty close to the airport.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

xiongmao wrote:Ha ha ha. But first I need to get him to leave his mom's house in Taiwan Province (as it's referred to in some circles).
There is, a house, in Taipei Town,
They ca-a-a-ll the Rising Sun;
It's been the ruin of many a poor boy,
And God, we know, Wu's one....

- Eric Burdon (from the Animals' East Asia tour)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcY-uo51QTE
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

xiongmao wrote: and a naughty looking Cantonese minx.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXCn1ovFZOc
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Post by Jacaré »

All the best XM,
I will be joining you in GZ around the end of summer 2013 as I also was very positively impressed by the city, the ladies and the opportunities there. Btw, you sure that the student visa gets you unlimited entries into China? Also, if you're on a student visa, can you operate a business on the side? or you'd need a business visa for that?

I also visited a couple of Unis while I was there in Sept and the fee was reasonable, around 8k RMB per semester and it was about 20 hours course load per week. Great way to learn the lingo and meet some nice ladies.

When I was there, I met about 8-9 other girls through the one girl I had pipelined online before going there and this was just in one week of being there. I really got the impression that once one lives there, one can have literally their pick on the women and number of women. Only his time will dictate how many he will meet. Yo Winston, get your butt out of Taiwan and come to China, you will know what it means to really live. ;)
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

If you apply to study in China for >6 months then you can exchange your X visa for a residency permit. This is provided you pass the health exam. I assume then you can go to HK/Macau but I don't know the precise regulations.

You can't officially work on a student visa, although I believe you're OK to get a job on campus if you can find one.

Unofficially, well of course you can do anything but just don't get caught. The main thing is to not get caught doing a job that a Chinese person could do.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Jacaré wrote:All the best XM,
I will be joining you in GZ around the end of summer 2013 as I also was very positively impressed by the city, the ladies and the opportunities there. Btw, you sure that the student visa gets you unlimited entries into China? Also, if you're on a student visa, can you operate a business on the side? or you'd need a business visa for that?

I also visited a couple of Unis while I was there in Sept and the fee was reasonable, around 8k RMB per semester and it was about 20 hours course load per week. Great way to learn the lingo and meet some nice ladies.

When I was there, I met about 8-9 other girls through the one girl I had pipelined online before going there and this was just in one week of being there. I really got the impression that once one lives there, one can have literally their pick on the women and number of women. Only his time will dictate how many he will meet. Yo Winston, get your butt out of Taiwan and come to China, you will know what it means to really live. ;)
Jacare if memory serves you were a fan of Hungary and romania... So you choose China over EE? Multiple gf's doable?
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Right, well I quit my job, so my plan is gaining traction.

Now to send Winston a few more photos of white legged Chinese ladies, and get him to leave his parents's house and that island province.

Not that there's anything wrong with Taiwanese girls (looks-wise anyway). There's a Taiwanese 10 where I work - I just saw her this morning and she was looking the hottest I've ever seen her!