ATM/Credit card conundrum in Mexico

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

ATM/Credit card conundrum in Mexico

Post by ladislav »

You cannot apparently open a Mexican bank account on a 180 day tourist visa.

So, you end up using US debit and credit cards. But what happens if/when they expire?

Well, if you have new ones sent to your address in the US, and then forward it here, all is well, right?

Wrong. You are not allowed to have credit or debit cards sent by UPS/FeDex, etc into Mexico. These are seen as forbidden items. Has something to do
with money laundering regulations/illegal drugs, etc. They just don't want foreign credit or debit cards arriving.

I assume, it's even worse if it's regular mail.

Totally unexpected. I guess what needs to be done is for you to go back home, look at which cards are close to expiration and order new ones with 4 years ahead on them. Then arrive with those cards having many years left on them. Just don't lose them god forbid. Good if your home of record is California. Not so good if farther away. A royal PITA.

Please be aware of these things.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: ATM/Credit card conundrum in Mexico

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Thanks for the forewarnings. I figure in equal exchange, I have a tidbit to share about this topic that's somewhat similar.
So because Nicaragua and a handful of other countries didn't agree to some social-justice pact, Chimebank decided to be straight libtards
and not do business in those aforementioned.

Basically, do not EVER travel to Nicaragua with ONLY a Chimebank card or you're going to be fvcked royally!!!! Sufficient funds in your Chimebank account or not, no purchases can be made in Nicaragua point-of-sale for nada!!!!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

UPS refused to send it, but this is what I got from DHL:

Yes it is possible to ship the credit or debit card to Mexico. This is the condition: For DOC service credit cards must be embossed / printed, consigned to the end user, not activated, and max 10 cards per shipment.
Anti money laundering law must be comply.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Would you like to save money and enjoy the benefits of a DHL import or export account?
It is totally free and there is not a membership fee.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

This is one of the reasons I have several credit cards (around 10) all staggered in terms of expiration years.

I also use Apple Pay (or cash) wherever possible so that I can keep my actual cards locked up in my room. That does not solve the expiration date issue, but it keeps guys from losing their cards, having them stolen, or fraudulently swiped.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 3:34 am
This is one of the reasons I have several credit cards (around 10) all staggered in terms of expiration years.

I also use Apple Pay (or cash) wherever possible so that I can keep my actual cards locked up in my room. That does not solve the expiration date issue, but it keeps guys from losing their cards, having them stolen, or fraudulently swiped.
Smart stuff! :+1:
wardaxan
Freshman Poster

Post by wardaxan »

You need to contact the bank where you have your account, request a new password to log in. If they can't, then within four hours, these cards must be replaced within two hours of expiration.