Product availability

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Russia, Ukraine, or the former Soviet Republics.
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Product availability

Post by Voyager1 »

One of the things I've noticed while travelling through EE is that certain products are not available or if they are available they are imported and expensive.

For example I bought some shrimps the other day and was looking for seafood sauce (some call it cocktail sauce). The supermarket I was shopping in had a wide range of sauces but no seafood sauce. They had tartar sauce but that's more of a mayonnaise and not what I wanted.

So I jumped on YouTube and found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSb_l38oWMY

Actually they have several videos like this how to make seafood sauce. I concocted it as per her instructions. (I didn't put the extra hot sauce in because my chili sauce is already hot.) It smells great. I am going to let it set overnight as she says and try it tomorrow.

Also here in EE I haven't seen large jars of apple sauce which I like to have with pork chops. They have little tiny baby food jars of apple sauce but I'm not buying that. I could probably make the apple sauce myself but I'm not buying a blender.

I also make my own home made pizzas which taste better than the frozen ones. They do sell frozen pizzas here but not frozen dinners like back home. My pizzas taste more like panzerottis.
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Re: Product availability

Post by Voyager1 »

Regarding pizza sauces and spaghetti sauces in EE I do not recommend buying most store bought ones as they are loaded with sugar. Some of the imported ones are good but they are more expensive.

Personally I buy a pasta sauce with no added sugar. You can dice up some tomatoes and add to your pasta sauce. I also add water from the pasta water I have boiled. I stay away from tap water and use bottled water to boil the pasta.
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

Update. The shrimps I bought were somewhat off. Who knows how many months they were frozen for.

The cocktail sauce was too spicy. I must have added too much horseradish or used a too spicy chilly sauce. I will have to tweak.
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

Update. I didn't get sick on the shrimps as I thought I would. That is a good thing. I am going to have to find a place to find better shrimps.
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

I'm currently a coffee drinker. I don't drink instant. I drink only natural filtered coffee. In EE it's sometimes difficult to find coffee filters. I've only seen them a few times in supermarkets. You have to go to specialty shops to get them.

Here's how to beat them at their own game. Take 3 white napkins. They can not have printing on them as the ink could seep through. Open them and lay them on top of each other. Place them in your filter basket. Push down on the center so it makes a cone. Add your coffee. This is a very cheap way of making your own filters.

After I finish this bag of coffee I am switching over to English breakfast tea. I was in a cafe recently and had a cup of English breakfast tea and it was a far superior experience to coffee. Now I know why the British prefer tea over coffee.

Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Voyager1 wrote:
December 26th, 2021, 3:07 am
I'm currently a coffee drinker. I don't drink instant. I drink only natural filtered coffee. In EE it's sometimes difficult to find coffee filters. I've only seen them a few times in supermarkets. You have to go to specialty shops to get them.

Here's how to beat them at their own game. Take 3 white napkins. They can not have printing on them as the ink could seep through. Open them and lay them on top of each other. Place them in your filter basket. Push down on the center so it makes a cone. Add your coffee. This is a very cheap way of making your own filters.

After I finish this bag of coffee I am switching over to English breakfast tea. I was in a cafe recently and had a cup of English breakfast tea and it was a far superior experience to coffee. Now I know why the British prefer tea over coffee.

I really only drink tea. It was difficult to find quality tea in Mexico and any quality tea they did have was much more expensive than Europe and the US. It's one reason why it's nice to be back in Europe.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

The girlfriends I've had in EE mostly drink loose leaf teas. Many of them drink green tea which I don't like. I like a strong black tea. The thing I don't like about loose leaf tea is sometimes the leaves go in your mouth and you have to spit them out. You can use something like this to brew it:

Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

I bought these amazing beef ribs the other day. Slow cooked them for about 6 hrs. Wow they were amazing. Incredibly cheap. Had them with horseradish. Unfortunately the horse was mixed with a mayonnaise blend. That's not what I'm looking for. I am going to have to search out a true horseradish.

I could live off these beef ribs.

I slow cooked the beef ribs with potatoes. Came out like a baked potato. Add sour cream and butter (82%). Purportedly from Germany.
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

Here in EE they don't have good frozen pizzas. The only good one I found is four cheeses. Then you add your own toppings. Still the crust is dry.

The better way is to buy tortilla shells then add pasta sauce and your toppings.

I don't really make hand made pizza dough.