American man sentenced to 9 years in Russia!

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Russia, Ukraine, or the former Soviet Republics.
MatureDJ
Junior Poster

American man sentenced to 9 years in Russia!

Post by MatureDJ »

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: American man sentenced to 9 years in Russia!

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

I’ve been in about 10 situations over the last 20 years overseas that could have gone wrong. Mostly they involved local losers thinking I was living a little too well for their comfort, but a few of them involving local men envious about my being with top shelf local women.

You always have to keep your head because you are at a disadvantage numerically, culturally and LEGALLY.

I rarely drink alcohol overseas and when I do, it is no more than a single glass of wine. Why? Because clear thinking is critical to recognizing, avoiding, and diffusing situations that can land you in jail which is what aggressive locals would love to see.

Idiots don’t belong abroad because it is only a matter of time that something negative will befall them.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 7:28 pm
I’ve been in about 10 situations over the last 20 years overseas that could have gone wrong. Mostly they involved local losers thinking I was living a little too well for their comfort, but a few of them involving local men envious about my being with top shelf local women.

You always have to keep your head because you are at a disadvantage numerically, culturally and LEGALLY.

I rarely drink alcohol overseas and when I do, it is no more than a single glass of wine. Why? Because clear thinking is critical to recognizing, avoiding, and diffusing situations that can land you in jail which is what aggressive locals would love to see.

Idiots don’t belong abroad because it is only a matter of time that something negative will befall them.
I learned observing from the late Bakari Henderson-Greek s.hituation to learn how to talk it out firstly and foremost.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 7:28 pm

It's the same in China, Wendell Brown was attacked by four men in a nightclub and he beat every single one of them up - who was sentenced for four years? Well, it weren't the four Chinese men who started trouble because Brown was getting friendly with some Chinese girls.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

I've encountered a special breed of expats, the braggarts. They usually say things like: " I've been here an ex number of years and I've never had even one single problem. The locals are all wonderful, and everything depends on your attitude. If you're a good person, you will be treated well, if you're a bad person, you'll be treated badly. You get what you put in. And if you've been having problems, it's all your fault. I'm all right Jack, I'm cool, never any problem and if you're having a problem, it's because you're an asshole and you 'd be having problems everywhere."
I've heard this speech ad nauseaum in all its variations.

Basically, the Just World Fallacy and does not correspond to reality. I've learned that acting a simpleton is the best defense when in all those bad places and also, running away from trouble.

I have two friends that ended up in Philippine jails. Scary.

Russia is a sucky, evil country, rotten to the core. And it's with reason that it's hated everywhere. The people are nice individually, but as a nation, no thank you.

And no matter what people say about the girls and the young people hanging out with you, the country does not like Americans and will be happy to harm an American. And few will help you there.

This is why I say Ukraine is better. Yes, it chaotic and corrupt, but it's a democracy and not evil. And if you like Russia-like culture, go to Kharkiv or Dnipro. They are Russian speaking, and you will get the same blondes you get in Russia. And you don't need a visa to go there.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!