To Ladislav: Why shamelss leeching in PH is a matter of culture, not class?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote: On several occassions, every time I buy a chocolate cake, expecting to eat it little by little for a whole week, suddenly the next day Dianne's family comes over and Dianne gives them each a slice and the whole cake is gone. I only ended up eating one slice of it, which was not my intention. It's like they either have a 6th sense about where the food is, or Dianne told them, or the universal Murphy's Law thing was at work again.
@_@!

Freshly baked chocolate cakes (not ding dong's) should be eaten within 2 days. Instead of keeping it over the week, buy smaller ones or buy in slices.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Winston wrote:
On several occassions, every time I buy a chocolate cake, expecting to eat it little by little for a whole week, suddenly the next day Dianne's family comes over and Dianne gives them each a slice and the whole cake is gone. I only ended up eating one slice of it, which was not my intention. It's like they either have a 6th sense about where the food is, or Dianne told them, or the universal Murphy's Law thing was at work again.

So what was the point of getting the cake then, if I can't even eat it all? I got it for me, yet due to "polite custom my ass" it had to be shared with uninvited guests. That's just not right.
It is right in their eyes because dessert like that is just meant to be shared. It's the same thing with Thai people if someone acts "stingy" with small things like that it just looks bad. There are clear boundaries and things I will not pay for such as girlfriend's friends coming along for her birthday party buy a lot of other things are fine. If you buy things and don't expect other people to use or eat it in the household then you should make the boundaries clear. People in SE Asia just don't think twice about sharing small stuff like that.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

Winston wrote:
ladislav wrote:I asked Filipinos about this whole unceremonious unannounced visiting and eating/gate crashing and all that. They said that it is Ok and the only reason a person should call /text before coming is to make sure that there is enough food for him so that the host could prepare for him as well- there is no such thing as rejecting the guest. So, how is it compensated and not seen as taking advantage? Well, you are supposed to go to their house just as often and gate crash and eat their food. That is the spirit of village camaraderie- in fact, it is communistic. All people share. Ain't it just lovely?!
On several occassions, every time I buy a chocolate cake, expecting to eat it little by little for a whole week, suddenly the next day Dianne's family comes over and Dianne gives them each a slice and the whole cake is gone. I only ended up eating one slice of it, which was not my intention. It's like they either have a 6th sense about where the food is, or Dianne told them, or the universal Murphy's Law thing was at work again.

So what was the point of getting the cake then, if I can't even eat it all? I got it for me, yet due to "polite custom my ass" it had to be shared with uninvited guests. That's just not right.
So what was the point of getting the cake then, if I can't even eat it all? I got it for me..
Winston, this is Asia. There is no such thing as "I got it all for me...". Collectivist nations and culture, remember? Life is to be shared.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

momopi wrote:
Winston wrote: On several occassions, every time I buy a chocolate cake, expecting to eat it little by little for a whole week, suddenly the next day Dianne's family comes over and Dianne gives them each a slice and the whole cake is gone. I only ended up eating one slice of it, which was not my intention. It's like they either have a 6th sense about where the food is, or Dianne told them, or the universal Murphy's Law thing was at work again.
@_@!

Freshly baked chocolate cakes (not ding dong's) should be eaten within 2 days. Instead of keeping it over the week, buy smaller ones or buy in slices.
Well chocolate cake is like pizza. Even after a week, if it's stale, it's still good. That's the beauty of it :) Tastes fine to me even after two weeks.

Ladislav, ask your Filipino friends if they know the difference between something you buy for yourself and something you buy for a party to be shared. They think those two intentions are somehow interchangeable.

Better I just don't let uninvited guests come too often, or give them bad stares so they won't feel like coming. lol
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Winston wrote: Better I just don't let uninvited guests come too often, or give them bad stares so they won't feel like coming. lol
Learn the fine art of excuse making.."sorry, i'm going somewhere later".."i'm very busy working on a project you see.." "I am feeling sick sorry guys you don't want to come over or you'll catch it too" "I need to wait for a phone call from my parents it's very important so I can't have company over today"
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:
Well chocolate cake is like pizza. Even after a week, if it's stale, it's still good. That's the beauty of it :) Tastes fine to me even after two weeks.
If you're not going to eat the pizza within 2 days, I'd suggest wrapping it then put it in the freezer (by the slice).

If you put food in the refrigerator, get a thermometer and make sure the fridge is at below 41F. Put food in covered containers and preferably no more than 2 inches of gap between the food and the lid.

How to make pizza:
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkini ... alk-to-me/