How can Taiwan be "friendly" if no one wants to be your friend?! 10 Reasons Why Taiwan is NOT friendly!

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Winston
Site Admin

How can Taiwan be "friendly" if no one wants to be your friend?! 10 Reasons Why Taiwan is NOT friendly!

Post by Winston »

I don't understand something. I've asked Rock about this since 2009 but he refuses to answer or explain and keeps dodging it. I've also asked @onethousandknives but he too hasn't given me a real answer either. The question I don't get is this:

Why does everyone or most people online claim that Taiwan is very friendly and that the people are very warm, open, wonderful, etc? For example, see these blog posts:
https://theculturetrip.com/asia/taiwan/ ... ns-people/
https://www.neverendingfootsteps.com/ta ... ple-world/

My big question about that is: How can Taiwan be friendly if no one wants to be your friend? And everyone ignores you and treats you like you don't exist? How is that friendly or warm or social?

Every time I ask that question to Taiwanese locals or pro-Taiwan foreigners, they get stumped and tongue tied and have no answer. Yet they continue to spout "Taiwan is friendly" like a parrot as though they were part of some religious cult and brainwashed. I don't understand what they're smoking.

Furthermore, how can Taiwan be friendly if:

1. No one wants to be your friend in Taiwan. There is an inner resistance to making friends or hanging out, as if everyone wants to be left alone and isolated and you are supposed to too. Same as in America, especially West Coast USA. I find Taiwan to be the most unfriendly country in Asia. Hands down. It feels very weird and awkward to even try to make friends in Taiwan, as if it's something unnatural and against the grain, like trying to walk upstream in a moving river. You feel as if you are trying to do something that you're not supposed to and not meant to be.

In Taipei, you can make some friends superficially through Meetup.com or Couchsurfing.org, but these are mostly superficial friendships or acquaintances. But go down south to Chiayi and it's impossible. Even the foreigners there or the Couchsurfers refuse to meet up. Everyone wants to be left alone and everyone seems socially diseased as though everyone is afraid to talk to you. Very creepy indeed.

Now if you wanna say that I must be the problem, then of course I will argue that the problem must be Taiwan, because I have no problem making friends or meeting people in most other countries I go to, and plus I am very outgoing and extroverted and confident too, if the culture allows me to be me, like it does in Russia or Philippines for example.

2. Everyone ignores me and treats me like I don't exist. Especially women and girls are super closed and cold. I feel like a ghost in Taiwan. No eye contact with strangers at all. I feel like I don't exist. Especially the girls are super closed, cold and cliquish. They have a very stuck up vibe that is not approachable at all. Out of the 15 countries I've been to, I find Taiwanese females the most unapproachable and stuck up, right up there with America. The girls and women in Taiwan NEVER look you in the eye, NEVER talk to strangers, NEVER have an open vibe, and always treat you like a ghost, as if you aren't even there. They are the most CLOSED women in the world, hands down. Sometimes elderly people in Taiwan will be nice and inquisitive and chit chat with me superficially, but never the girls. The difference between young and old in Taiwan is huge, but no one dares to talk about it. Again, if you wanna claim that the problem must be me, think again, and see the last part of #1 above.

3. Almost all the foreigners I see in Taiwan are either alone or with other foreigners. Not hanging out with local Taiwanese people. The only Taiwanese or Asians they hang out with are Americanized or Westernized Asians. I've taken pictures of foreigners who are either alone or with other foreigners in Taiwan to prove my point, if anyone wants to contest it. In fact, I've seen foreigners looking bored because they are ignored, and in the very isolating environment of Taiwan. I don't get why more don't speak out though. Maybe they are afraid to since this is a taboo subject and truth is taboo in fake cultures like Taiwan and America?

4. If you think the problem is me, then let me ask you this: How come I don't have a problem meeting people or making friends in most other countries I've been to? Especially in Eastern Europe, Russia and Southeast Asia, in those areas I never have a problem. I got tons of videos and photos to prove it. So I got the hard proof to prove the problem isn't me. I only have a problem in socially closed countries like Taiwan, America and NE Asia, where people are workaholic, closed, don't talk to strangers, and the girls never flirt and aren't approachable.

So how can the problem be me if I don't have the same problems in most other countries and only in weird countries like Taiwan and America? In addition, I have good communication skills, good social skills, good people skills, am outgoing, am very articulate and assertive, confident, friendly, etc. Plus I have worked in marketing and sales jobs too, so I am fairly good with people and communication. I'm not a social dunce or shy by any means. So how can the problem be me?

5. Taiwanese themselves do not deny that their women are closed and not open to talking to strangers, when I bring it up to them. Even Taiwanese women will admit that if you ask them. So how can I be wrong if Taiwanese themselves admit that I'm right? Yet regardless, they still consider themselves to be "friendly people". Go figure. I guess their definition of friendliness is different than mine. They seem to see friendliness more as being polite, not as being social or open or wanting to hang out or date. Many on the internet define friendliness like that too, including westerners, which might explain why they find Taiwan to be "friendly".

6. I definitely sense a negative vibe in Taiwan, around people, especially women. They are very grim, sour, self-hating, negative, repressed, narrow minded, superficial, etc. That's definitely NOT a positive vibe at all. No way jose. It can't be my imagination either. I'm very spiritual and aware and highly conscious, so I am very sensitive to energy and vibes. Yet most people claim Taiwanese are very friendly and warm with a positive vibe. How can that be? Surely we all must be in our own universe or dimension. Because this is very Twilight Zone like.

7. I also cannot connect with people or have a normal conversation with Taiwanese, not even the ones in America. It has nothing to do with language, mind you, since I speak decent Taiwanese (the native dialect) and basic Mandarin. It's just that they are on a different wavelength and in their own world, one that's insular and narrow, which I don't connect with. In contrast, when I first went to Russia and didn't speak any Russian at all, I still felt natural chemistry, camaraderie and energy with the people there, especially the girls, who were very open, curious and fearless - in total contrast with Taiwan. To be honest, Taiwanese girls are super closed, cliquish, stuck up and not assertive at all. It seems impossible to connect with them and they don't even want to connect with me. Only elderly people in Taiwan are sometimes friendly and talkative. But definitely not young women or girls. No way. Usually I'm very good with girls except in the weird Taiwan matrix, where I can't even be myself. Hence it's very suffocating.

8. Everything feels very awkward, weird and inappropriate in Taiwan. I feel like I am not even allowed to exist in Taiwan, even living and breathing feels inappropriate in Taiwan. Yes, that's how bad it is, it's worse than you can imagine. It's hard to explain. It's a bizarro world with a REVERSE NEGATIVE POLARITY, where normal is abnormal, where being positive means you swim upstream against the current, because everything feels negative and self-hating and soul-sucking. No one in Taiwan acts confident, assertive, or outspoken, and if you do, you feel out of place. So you can't do anything or be anything. It's weird. I can't go anywhere without feeling awkward, as if I'm not supposed to exist, let alone be me. It's one thing for people to be unfriendly, closed, cold, ignore you or treat you like you don't exist. But it's another to feel awkward everywhere, as though you aren't supposed to exist or live or breathe there, because you simply are out of place and invalidated. It's very weird and hard to put into words. Have any of you felt that way anywhere? Or is it just me?

This just goes to show that what Americans and Truthers miss is that freedom is not all about government control. In Taiwan and Japan, the government does nothing and doesn't bother or bully people. Neither do the cops. No. The social culture there is what's restrictive and takes away your freedom and doesn't allow you to be yourself. In America it's similar. The social culture is what takes away your freedom to talk to strangers or flirt with girls or be yourself, etc not government. Also in America, you feel like your consciousness is highly controlled too, that's why you don't actually FEEL FREE in America, even if you are told you are free. It's not because federal agents and soldiers in America are pushing you around. It's because the overall vibe and culture and environment there tries to control your consciousness and mind, and you can feel it.

As former forum member Grunt said:
http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6692
"If anyone feels they "come out of their shell" when overseas, try to keep something in mind. That person you are overseas is the real you. The person you are in America is a prisoner, nothing more."

That nails it. America and Taiwan do NOT allow you to ACT free and come out of your shell and be as extroverted and outgoing as you want (like I was in Russia). No way jose. America and Taiwan may TELL you that you are free because you have political freedoms, but you never feel free nor can you act free and be yourself as I was in Russia. There is no freespirited open vibe in America or Taiwan, that's for sure. So no matter how much they tell you you are free, you NEVER actually FEEL free. That's what you gotta understand. This is a bit hard to explain in words, but I've done my best. I'm sure some of you who feel the same way know what I mean.

9. Taiwan also takes away your normal confidence and self-esteem. For some reason, you just cannot feel confident or bold there. It's simply not allowed. The Taiwanese vibe and people always make you feel small, inadequate, weak, insecure, etc. Taiwan constantly downs you and puts you down - in a passive and subtle but real manner - with its self-hating vibe, so you never feel strong or confident. Especially if you're Asian, because Taiwan expects Asians to be weak, humble, obedient and self-hating. It's hard to explain what I mean, but that's the best way I can put it. Thus I cannot be my super bold confident self in Taiwan like I can in Russia or Eastern Europe or SE Asia. If you watch my videos on YouTube or HappierAbroad, you can see what I mean.

Whereas friendlier positive countries (like the ones I mentioned above) are like the yellow Sun to Superman for me, making me feel empowered, alive and vibrant, countries like Taiwan are like Kryptonite to Superman to me, taking away all my power and mojo, making me feel weak like I'm nothing. And also because I'm simply disliked, invalidated, avoided and ignored in Taiwan, which I can feel it too. Not because of anything I did wrong or because I'm a bad person. Far from it. But simply because I am disliked for who I am and what I am, which people can sense even if I try to hide it. It's not my imagination like my parents falsely claim. When people dislike you or think you are weird, you can definitely feel the negative vibe from them, especially if you're sensitive and spiritual like me. It's not your paranoid imagination. Being around similar people of like mind who empower you, is a totally different vibe which makes you stronger, than being around people who dislike you and have nothing in common with you and aren't on your frequency, like in Taiwan. That's for sure.

10. Even if you wanna consider "friendliness" to mean "politeness" as most Taiwanese do, it's still not true that all Taiwanese are polite. There are many people in Taiwan everywhere that look very grouchy, grim, angry, pissed off and ready to scold you for any reason, very on edge in other words. In my estimation, about 1/3 of Taiwanese are polite, while 1/3 look grouchy, grumpy, angry, on edge and pissed off and ready to scold you, and 1/3 are somewhere in the middle. That would be a fairly reasonable estimation I think. So it's definitely not true that everyone in Taiwan is "friendly or polite".

Yet no one draws this distinction like I do. Most people instead like to make positive generalizations, insinuating that all people in Taiwan are friendly, which is socially acceptable of course. It seems that positive generalizations are ok, but not negative ones. It's an obvious double standard of course. But we live in a world that is politically correct, not honest or truthful, so these kinds of double standards are to be expected. It's just that no one dares to point them out except me and very few others. Geez aren't I unique? lol

Now, the high percentage of grouchy angry people in Taiwan is not surprising, since Taiwan is a workaholic repressed country where one is not allowed to express themselves or be outspoken or think for themselves, similar to Japan, so no doubt there are a lot of miserable people and it shows on their faces and voices. The vibe and culture feel super restrictive too, like a negative polarity flow, where positivity runs upstream against the current, while negativity runs downstream with the current. Yet in spite of this, you are not allowed to talk about the negative vibes there at all. It's hard to explain, but that's the best way I can explain it. Simply put, you can't be yourself in Taiwan, or be extroverted or outgoing or open or confident - like you can in Bangkok, Pattaya, Angeles City, or Eastern Europe/Russia of course. You definitely can't be the you in those places if you're in Taiwan, that's for sure. Within your social clique you sometimes can, but not with strangers. No siree.

Bottom line:

So how does all of the above constitute being "friendly, warm and social"? I don't get it. I've been asking this question since 2009 but no one can give me an answer or even try to. Truly different people must be in a different universe. It's the only explanation for why people have vastly different experiences in any location. But you'd think that reality should be mostly objective. For example, we can all see the same red car in front of us or the same mountain in the distance. So I don't get it. Can anyone explain?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Re: How can Taiwan be friendly if no one wants to be your friend and everyone ignores you?

Post by Winston »

Check this out. In 2004 I was the only one claiming online that Taiwan was not friendly or open. Back then everyone said I was wrong and disagreed. Now people are starting to agree with me. See below. So as usual, I was definitely ahead of my time. Now there are new webpages, posts and articles saying similar things about Taiwan as I did. So I'm no longer the only one.

https://tw.forumosa.com/t/taipei-is-not-friendly/160287

https://tw.forumosa.com/t/are-there-mor ... /88829/104

https://tw.forumosa.com/t/boring-taiwan ... sa/88433/3
Gain
Nov 2015
I’m Taiwanese and I think Taiwan is super boring. One of the most boring countries in the world, if not the most boring one.
https://startabusinessintaiwan.tw/blog/ ... ays-to-go/

This is a mixed article but the author is ultimately pro-Taiwan friendliness.

https://laorencha.blogspot.com/2011/04/ ... aiwan.html
I have noticed that a lot of the foreigners who leave Taiwan feeling as though it’s a lonely, uncaring, monolithic and monolingual place – or worse yet, leave thinking that the Taiwanese are mannerless boors (which is only true insofar as you believe American etiquette to be the pinnacle of good taste), do so because they are wrapped up in specific ideas of how social etiquette works, and aren’t necessarily open to it working a different way. That’s not to say that the person I met for coffee was close-minded or unwilling to try – I didn’t know him well but he didn’t seem to be.
A commentator agreed with me:
Don Juan Corzo said...
I just read a survey is absolutely wrong by labeling Taiwan the friendliest nation.
There's a major misconception here.
Yes, they are very nice if you need help, but most are closed in terms making friends and openness.
If you're a tourist you'll get the false impression of them being friendly, but if you live and work here you'll realize how shy / rude many can be, especially generation X'ers and Millennials.
I've had strangers give me a ride on their scooters when I was lost or give me an umbrella when it was suddenly raining, but the kindness stops there. Most taiwanese coworkers can be closed and make you feel like an outcast, speaking Chinese to each other and ignoring you, even when they are able to speak English,. No interest in making social conversation about your family, hobbies, experiences, etc. This seems to MO especially with women.
At first, I thought I did something wrong culturally to make the people I met so distant, but I found my story repeated and heard from many other expats. You can see this more evidently when riding the train. No one speaks to each other casually; they're just on their mobiles or pretending to be asleep.
This antisocial behavior that's been developing the past 10 to 15 years, according to expats who've lived here that long. Other expats don't see this or don't agree because they've been influenced culturally and become "taiwanized."
Some say it's because Taiwan has become more developed and it follows the social detachment pattern of other developed nations. But that's not entirely the case for Hong Kong and Singapore have friendlier populations, where even flirting and romancing is far more acceptable publicly. Taiwan unfriendly vibe mimics developed Japan's similar apathetic society. 50 years of hard Japanese influence, like it is also in (North ? and) South Korea.
I found many to be even vindictive if you make them lose face with criticism or complaints.
China, where I lived two years before coming here and which ranks badly in the survey, has far friendlier and open people, including women.
I met women easily I'm still friends with today in Guangzhou, Chengdu, Hangzhou, Zhengzhou, Beijing, Shanghai, etc. And I'm talking most are just genuine friendships, platonic relationships.
Chinese start conversations in trains or subways and offer you a snack to share, even a beer sometimes.
Losing face in China doesn't mean a precursor to a vendetta, but a chance to mend and improve on the mistake or the trespass.
Even dealing with journalists, I found them more approachable in China. Reporters there were more eager to exchange ideas and experiences with foreign colleagues despite censorship. Here the few I met act like they're not interested in knowing what you have to say, unless, of course, you represent a major news outlet like BBC or New York Times.
A university professor in Taipei told me that holier-than-thou attitude is one of the reasons the country is in decline after its 101 boom.
Sorry for the rant, but I'm sort of tired of hearing or reading that Taiwan is such a friendly place. The heart of Asia, Ha!

September 4, 2016 at 2:10 PM
A Taiwanese Girl Living Overseas Won't Return Because, "I Don’t Like The Taiwanese Culture"
https://international.thenewslens.com/article/30849
Someone once asked me why I don’t want to go back to Taiwan, get a job and settle down. I answered with something that might sound harsh to the Taiwanese, “Because I don’t like the Taiwanese culture.”

The person who asked me the question was very agitated and could only blame me for using the wrong words.

The Taiwanese culture I’m referring to isn’t historic relics or literature, but the distance between people and how they get along with one another.

I feel very uncomfortable when living in Taiwan, sometimes even painful. Everything I do is restricted, no matter when and where, and is bond by an unreasonable ethic and value system.

I felt nothing when I was still in Taiwan. It only hit me when I was in France.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/world/12 ... en-15.html
Yes, I am a Taiwanese, Taiwan is very boring, ugly ...
Taiwanese are a depressed, pessimistic bunch. Sorry for the negativity lol.
And of course, there are still articles and posts that claim that Taiwan is super friendly, warm, open and easy to make friends in. See below. WTF? Feels like the Twilight Zone. We truly must all be in a different universe. I couldn't make friends in Taiwan if my life depended on it, no matter how outgoing or extroverted I try to be, so how can it be "friendly"? I'm not gonna lie and claim Taiwawn is "friendly" just to be politically correct and conform to the pro-Taiwan cult, which ignores anything negative about Taiwan no matter how true.

Pro-Taiwan friendliness articles

11 Reasons Why You'll Fall in Love With Taiwan's People
https://theculturetrip.com/asia/taiwan/ ... ns-people/

TAIWAN HAS THE FRIENDLIEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD
https://www.neverendingfootsteps.com/ta ... ple-world/

Why do people often say people in Taiwan are really friendly, especially compared to the rest of Asia?
https://www.reddit.com/r/taiwan/comment ... aiwan_are/

The thing is, these articles that claim that all Taiwanese are friendly are ranked well in Google. It's as if it's ok in Google's eyes to overgeneralize or make blanket statements about a country as long as it's POSITIVE. But not if it's negative, no matter how true. That's a clear double standard for sure. Like I said, it's all about political correctness, not truth. And as I said before, in American culture (and perhaps around the world too) it's ok to LIE as long as it's a POSITIVE lie, because a positive lie is more acceptable than a negative truth, no matter how true. That's because political correctness is more important than truth in America and perhaps in most modern cultures too. That's why the life of a truth seeker is often lonely and marginalized.

Also, another thing I noticed is that the pro-Taiwan crowd tends to be cult-like in that they always like to ignore anything negative in Taiwan, no matter how true. This is unusual because in other Asian countries, expats tend to be willing to talk about the pros and cons there, including the good, the bad and the ugly. But in Taiwan, there seems to be some sort of censorship and cult-like brainwashing, like Amway, among locals, visitors and expats, where everyone is expected to be pro-Taiwan and only say positive things about Taiwan, never anything negative. You can feel this in Taiwan, this "push" to only say positive things, such as "Taiwan is friendly", "Taiwan is beautiful" etc, in order to conform, even if you don't really feel that way. It's like pushed and thrust onto you, like propaganda or mind control. And of course, since most people are conformists and cave in to peer pressure, they will comly. Except for me of course. I'm way too brutually honest to do that and lie and go against my true feelings and observations.

You can see this cult-like brainwashing and censorship in the pro-Taiwan crowd, for example, when Rock debated me about whether public parks in Taipei or Shenzhen are bigger. Of course everyone knows that public parks in Shenzhen seem like 100 times bigger, so big that you can get lost in them. But in Taipei, the park Rock took me to was so small that we walked across it in 5 minutes. No boats on the lake either. Anyone can see the difference on maps too. So there's no debate. But Rock denied it because his pro-Taiwan cult brainwashing wouldn't allow him to say that anything in China is better than Taiwan, no matter how true or obvious or provable. Surely that's a sign of brainwashing for sure, to deny obvious facts that are apparent to everyone. Only someone brainwashed or in a cult would do that. It's like a form or religion.

To give another example, when I stayed at a girl's home in Taichung from Couchsurfing,org, her grandma saw me and acted very grouchy, grumpy and suspicious and demanded to know who I was. Very rude and crude, not friendly at all. My host saw it too. But when I mentioned it afterward, she denied seeing any grouchy face on her grandma even though it was clear for anyone to see at point blank range. Obvious denial of course. I don't know why Taiwanese like to deny obvious things like that, even if it's right in front of them. My dad does this too sometimes. I will point out to him lots of grouchy, angry, pissed off faces in Taiwan that look like they are ready to scold someone at any moment, and he will not see them, as if his mind filters them out and doesn't want to see them. This has happened with Rock a number of times too, I swear.

So yes, this definitely seems to be a form of cult-like brainwashing, censorship and mind control for sure. Only the brainwashed and biased would deny obvious things in front of their faces that are as clear as the blue sky. No joke. Why can't everyone be as honest and truthful and good in critical thinking as me, I wonder?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Re: How can Taiwan be "friendly" if no one wants to be your friend and everyone ignores you?

Post by Winston »

Some comments I left on the blogs above.

https://laorencha.blogspot.com/2011/04/ ... aiwan.html
You know what's funny. I been saying Taiwanese are super closed, cold and stuck up since 2004, and back then, everyone said I was wrong. Now in the last 5 years, people are starting to realize I was right and agreeing with me now. So I was way ahead of my time. Even on my blog too. Have a look. Go to my blog below and type in Taiwan in the search box and you will see. Half of the comments in my blog agree with me about Taiwanese being the most unfriendly country in Asia with a negative vibe.

http://blog.happierabroad.com
https://international.thenewslens.com/article/30849
I am a Taiwanese America and I feel the same way as this girl. This definitely goes to show that freedom is not all about government control as Americans think. Social culture has a lot to do with it. In Taiwan and Japan, the government is laid back and doesn't bully anyone, because the social culture controls people, not the government. And Asians tend to be totally conformist to their culture, as we all know, without any freethought or independent thinking.

Another Taiwanese girl wrote me the same feelings and thoughts about Taiwan long ago. She told me:

"And I have to say. I don't understand this place too!! I was much happier n free when I was in OZ. In TW, there are so many rules. Well I mean the rules in everyone's mind. Like if u don't think like what they think, u r called a freak. Sorry even I'm Taiwanese, I don't like some culture here. Especially the "restrictions" of one's mind. Also, when u work here, colleagues are hard to be frds, even u guys talks a lot but when shit happened, they become ur enemies straight away. Maybe this happens everywhere, I don't know. I always feel hard to make new frds here. Ppl are nicer in OZ. So somehow I can understand how u feel!"

Winston
Site Admin

Re: How can Taiwan be "friendly" if no one wants to be your friend and everyone ignores you?

Post by Winston »

Another thing I don't get is this:

You hear people talk about Japanese and Koreans being closed and not friendly or open to strangers or foreigners. Some people will say. They will say that about Americans too. And also about people in London or Paris. Even the news media says Finland people are closed, cold and passionless, and don't make eye contact with others. But for some reaons, no one dares to say that about Taiwan, even though it's true. Why? Is Taiwan some kind of "sacred cow" that people are afraid to say those things about? If so, why are other Asian countries like Japan or Korea not as sacred or exempt from criticism or negative comments as Taiwan is?

It's very strange and inexplicable. It's like there is an unspoken rule that prevents anyone from criticizing Taiwanese people and their negative traits, which everyone feels and obeys except me. Even Rock is subservient to it and will not say anything negative about Taiwanese people, no matter how true, as though he assumes they are perfect. Why? Very weird and inexplicable. This question itself is taboo and out of the box too, since no one dares to ask it but me. Everyone acts like Taiwan is a sacred cow and critical questions like mine are not allowed and don't exist. So friggin weird.

So basically according to everyone or most people, Taiwanese are very normal, very open, warm and friendly? No different from any other friendly open countries? No negative vibe or awkward traits at all? Only positive vibes? Im the only one who senses and sees the opposite? How can that be? That's like saying I'm the only one who senses that fire is hot and ice is cold. Doesn't make any sense. Sounds impossible. So how to explain that? Totally inexplicable. Its as if theres some mass collusion or conspiracy against me. Very twilight zone like.

Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Winston wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 9:55 pm
I don't understand something. I've asked Rock about this since 2009 but he refuses to answer or explain and keeps dodging it.

The question I don't get is this:

Why does everyone or most people online claim that Taiwan is very friendly and that the people are very warm, open, wonderful, etc? ...
You mentioned 'Rock' in this thread.

I had a talk with 'Rock' long time ago, and I did not get the impression that Rock is interested into 'friendly women of Taiwan' .... He is more into Taiwan, because it offers him a 'permanent residence status' he can trust and he can live and work there legally for long-term without going back home to the States.

He mentioned to me that Taiwan is offering him a good living standard, no visa hassle, reasonable income and stability similar to Japan (but is cheaper than Japan), good medical care, clean place, technically advanced, no problem about street criminality etc., and that there are only a few countries in this Asian region which offers this to foreigners.

It seems he is regularly moving between Taiwan, Philippines and Thailand - we agreed about many aspects, as I am living in Japan and moving regularly to Thailand as my second home and sometimes to Philippines to visit my fosterdaughter.

He never mentioned anything to me about 'nice Taiwan women', but I can only say, for me Taiwan is also not known to be a place of kind people who welcome foreigners as a personal friend. Now I am rarely visiting Taiwan, as I usually take a flight directly to Bangkok or to Cebu.

About 'Taiwan women' - Taiwan, same as South Korea and Japan is a place of 'importing foreign women by local men' - it is surely not a place to have fun with girls and most men in Taiwan will agree with that - they look frequently out for foreign women from China, Vietnam etc. who are willing to marry and relocate to Taiwan - 10.000s of them...

About comments from 'somewhere' praising Taiwan as the place of ultimate friendliness, I think these are tourists, short-time visitors from USA, Australia or UK and similar places - visitors who are accustomed to rude services, vulgar women, street criminality, seriously overweight people, streets full with garbage, aggressive tipping, illegal immigrant issues, racist problems, junk food, drug abuse etc. in their own countries.
why are other Asian countries like Japan or Korea not as sacred or exempt from criticism or negative comments as Taiwan is?
This is maybe because Taiwan is not so well known compared to Korea and Japan. There are less international visitors entering Taiwan than South Korea and Japan. Many of these visitors entering Taiwan are from China or overseas Chinese from UK or USA or coming in from HongKong, Singapore etc... and will not complain...
I cannot offer any explanation otherwise.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

You're not interested in 'friends' and 'friendly people' like old people who want to have a chat - you mean fit young birds who you want to f**k :lol:

Have you not thought that as a middle aged man going towards 50 - all that kind of shit is hard to come by when you get to be that age? Have you ever thought about accepting you are a middle aged man and what would or could have happened back when you were 22 instead of fartarsing around Russia - you could have had the time of your life in Taiwan! :lol:

Don't feel so bad, I would have picked Russia 100 times out of a 100 instead of anywhere in Asia when I was young and stupid but at least I admit it!
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Yohan wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 7:10 am

About comments from 'somewhere' praising Taiwan as the place of ultimate friendliness, I think these are tourists, short-time visitors from USA, Australia or UK and similar places - visitors who are accustomed to rude services, vulgar women, street criminality, seriously overweight people, streets full with garbage, aggressive tipping, illegal immigrant issues, racist problems, junk food, drug abuse etc. in their own countries.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

An accurate but sad reflection... and it will get even worse!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

One more important point I wanna make about Taiwan:

Even if you wanna consider "friendliness" to mean "politeness" as most Taiwanese do, it's still not true that all Taiwanese are polite. There are many people in Taiwan everywhere that look very grouchy, grim, angry, pissed off and ready to scold you for any reason, very on edge in other words. In my estimation, about 1/3 of Taiwanese are polite, while 1/3 look grouchy, grumpy, angry, on edge and pissed off and ready to scold you, and 1/3 are somewhere in the middle. That would be a fairly reasonable estimation I think. So it's definitely not true that everyone in Taiwan is "friendly or polite".

Yet no one draws this distinction like I do. Most people instead like to make positive generalizations, insinuating that all people in Taiwan are friendly, which is socially acceptable of course. It seems that positive generalizations are ok, but not negative ones. It's an obvious double standard of course. But we live in a world that is politically correct, not honest or truthful, so these kinds of double standards are to be expected. It's just that no one dares to point them out except me and very few others. Geez aren't I unique? lol

Now, the high percentage of grouchy angry people in Taiwan is not surprising, since Taiwan is a workaholic repressed country where one is not allowed to express themselves or be outspoken or think for themselves, similar to Japan, so no doubt there are a lot of miserable people and it shows on their faces and voices. The vibe and culture feel super restrictive too, like a negative polarity flow, where positivity runs upstream against the current, while negativity runs downstream with the current. Yet in spite of this, you are not allowed to talk about the negative vibes there at all. It's hard to explain, but that's the best way I can explain it. Simply put, you can't be yourself in Taiwan, or be extroverted or outgoing or open or confident - like you can in Bangkok, Pattaya, Angeles City, or Eastern Europe/Russia of course. You definitely can't be the you in those places if you're in Taiwan, that's for sure. Within your social clique you sometimes can, but not with strangers.

This just goes to show that what Americans and Truthers miss is that freedom is not all about government control. In Taiwan and Japan, the government does nothing and doesn't bother or bully people. Neither do the cops. No. The social culture there is what's restrictive and takes away your freedom and doesn't allow you to be yourself. In America it's similar. The social culture is what takes away your freedom to talk to strangers or flirt with girls or be yourself, etc not government. Also in America, you feel like your consciousness is highly controlled too, that's why you don't actually FEEL FREE in America, even if you are told you are free. It's not because federal agents and soldiers in America are pushing you around. It's because the overall vibe and culture and environment there tries to control your consciousness and mind, and you can feel it.

As former forum member Grunt said:

http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6692
"If anyone feels they "come out of their shell" when overseas, try to keep something in mind. That person you are overseas is the real you. The person you are in America is a prisoner, nothing more."
That nails it. America and Taiwan do NOT allow you to ACT free and come out of your shell and be as extroverted and outgoing as you want (like I was in Russia). No way jose. America and Taiwan may TELL you that you are free because you have political freedoms, but you never feel free nor can you act free and be yourself as I was in Russia. There is no freespirited open vibe in America or Taiwan, that's for sure. So no matter how much they tell you you are free, you NEVER actually FEEL free. That's what you gotta understand. This is a bit hard to explain in words, but I've done my best. I'm sure some of you who feel the same way know what I mean.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Yohan wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 7:10 am
Winston wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 9:55 pm
I don't understand something. I've asked Rock about this since 2009 but he refuses to answer or explain and keeps dodging it.

The question I don't get is this:

Why does everyone or most people online claim that Taiwan is very friendly and that the people are very warm, open, wonderful, etc? ...
You mentioned 'Rock' in this thread.

I had a talk with 'Rock' long time ago, and I did not get the impression that Rock is interested into 'friendly women of Taiwan' .... He is more into Taiwan, because it offers him a 'permanent residence status' he can trust and he can live and work there legally for long-term without going back home to the States.

He mentioned to me that Taiwan is offering him a good living standard, no visa hassle, reasonable income and stability similar to Japan (but is cheaper than Japan), good medical care, clean place, technically advanced, no problem about street criminality etc., and that there are only a few countries in this Asian region which offers this to foreigners.

It seems he is regularly moving between Taiwan, Philippines and Thailand - we agreed about many aspects, as I am living in Japan and moving regularly to Thailand as my second home and sometimes to Philippines to visit my fosterdaughter.

He never mentioned anything to me about 'nice Taiwan women', but I can only say, for me Taiwan is also not known to be a place of kind people who welcome foreigners as a personal friend. Now I am rarely visiting Taiwan, as I usually take a flight directly to Bangkok or to Cebu.

About 'Taiwan women' - Taiwan, same as South Korea and Japan is a place of 'importing foreign women by local men' - it is surely not a place to have fun with girls and most men in Taiwan will agree with that - they look frequently out for foreign women from China, Vietnam etc. who are willing to marry and relocate to Taiwan - 10.000s of them...

why are other Asian countries like Japan or Korea not as sacred or exempt from criticism or negative comments as Taiwan is?
This is maybe because Taiwan is not so well known compared to Korea and Japan. There are less international visitors entering Taiwan than South Korea and Japan. Many of these visitors entering Taiwan are from China or overseas Chinese from UK or USA or coming in from HongKong, Singapore etc... and will not complain...
I cannot offer any explanation otherwise.
All true Yohan. Yes I noticed the same thing about Rock too. He does not go to Taiwan to date. True. However, keep in mind that Rock is into the pro-Taiwan cult, which means he will never see or admit anything negative about Taiwan or Taiwanese people, no matter how true, as I mentioned in my post above. So he does not ever feel anything off about Taiwanese people or complain that they are closed and cliquish, etc. He will admit that about California though, or the US, but not about Taiwan, even though both are closed cliquish cultures. That's strange to me. He acts as if Taiwanese are totally normal, natural, open, friendly, and everyone else thinks so too, except for me. So I'm the only one who thinks Taiwanese are closed and have a weird vibe and act too uptight and grim and sour? No one sees this but me? That's the impression Rock gives, and it's strange. He refuses to comment further on this and ignores me if I ask about him it.

You live in Japan right Yohan? Doesn't Japan and Taiwan have similar vibes? Many people say that Taiwan is friendlier than Japan, including Rock, but I highly doubt that. Surely if you like Japan, there must be some positive vibe or feeling you get from there, right? If so, what exactly? Does the vibe make you feel comfortable and allow you to be yourself?

You see, feelings and vibes are a bit subjective and personal and hard to put into words, so it's hard to explain what I mean. In Taiwan I sort of feel a negative polarity, like things are flowing backwards. It's hard to explain. Like if you are positive, open, outgoing, you are going against the current, upstrream in a river where negativity is the norm going downstream. Can you imagine what I mean? It's like being in an antimatter universe where time moves backward or the polarity moves in the opposite direction that your soul does. That's the best way to describe it. Probably most men are cold and rational and cannot relate. But @Falcon and @zboy1 and a few others could though, because they are open freespirits like me.

I definitely dislike this, even if I try to like it. It makes me uncomfortable, creepy and saps my energy, soul, life force, etc. I feel like everything is inappropriate and awkward here in Taiwan. Even going to 7-11 and picking up something feels awkward and inappropriate. Even living and breathing feels inappropriate and awkward in Taiwan. It's as if I'm not even supposed to exist in Taiwan. That's how bad it is. I don't know why. Maybe I have some sensitive achilles heel spot that Taiwan penetrates? Even if I try to be positive and deny this feeling, it doesn't go away. It's very soul sucking. Like Kryptonite to Superman, it sucks his powers away so he can't even fly. That's exactly what Taiwan is to me. Over time, it becomes very depressing. So I should not stay in Taiwan long of course. But this pandemic is an asshole and the universe can be an asshole sometimes too.

And worse of all, I'm not allowed to talk about it. Except here of course, because on other sites, people will get offended and say that the problem must be me then etc, but then I will reply, "If the problem is me then how come I have the opposite experience in other countries?" and then the argument goes on in circles and becomes a highly negative debate which leaves people despising me for bringing up a taboo topic like this, even if I win the debate in the end. Like religion, such debates go around in circles. But they are also taboo because saying that any X country is unfriendly and that women are not open or approachable or that people aren't open to making friends, is a taboo thing to say. It makes you unlikable to bring it up on other sites or forums. I don't know why.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

yick wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 12:19 am
You're not interested in 'friends' and 'friendly people' like old people who want to have a chat - you mean fit young birds who you want to f**k :lol:

Have you not thought that as a middle aged man going towards 50 - all that kind of shit is hard to come by when you get to be that age? Have you ever thought about accepting you are a middle aged man and what would or could have happened back when you were 22 instead of fartarsing around Russia - you could have had the time of your life in Taiwan! :lol:

Don't feel so bad, I would have picked Russia 100 times out of a 100 instead of anywhere in Asia when I was young and stupid but at least I admit it!
No Yick. You don't understand and you don't see the big picture. I've been going to Taiwan since 2004. Even back then, I knew Taiwan and I didn't mesh. The vibes didn't fit me and didn't allow me to be me. Everything is on a reverse negative polarity in Taiwan. Like California high school, similar vibe. You are supposed to be cliquish, closed and small minded and if you aren't, you are weird. You definitely cannot be your outgoing, open, extroverted self like you can in Russia or Eastern Europe, or even in Bangkok, Pattaya or Angeles City. See the videos of Pattaya and Bangkok I posted here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7504

You definitely can't be the man you are there, in Taiwan. No way jose. Try it and you will see.

You forget that Falcon is in his 20's yet he feels the same way about Taiwan and noticed the weird vibe too. So it's not about age. You are too shallow and superficial Yick. lol. No offense.

Besides, men age like wine, women age like milk, so older men are still charming and attractive. That's why men like Tom Hanks and many older male actors still get major movie roles, while older female actors do not, as I mentioned in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=42646

Like self-help gurus, you are grasping at straws when you try to blame age. That's like me saying that spoiled milk does not mix well with ketchup, when we all know that neither does fresh milk either, because that's not a good mix. It doesn't have the right chemistry of flavors.

Or like saying Clint Eastwood is too old to fit in comedy movie, when we know that a young Clint Eastwood wouldn't fit into a lightheared comedy or slapstick film either, because his character type doesn't fit comedy roles, as we all know.

Do you see your obvious fallacy now? You guys are supposed to be smart here and rational. Why do I always have to explain lessons in basic logic to you guys? Sheesh.

It's not just girls in Taiwan, I can't even make guy friends either. In Taiwan, everyone wants to be left alone and mind their own business, similar to the US. In Taipei you can meet some people through Meetup.com or Couchsurfing.org but those meetups are usually superficial, not gonna lead to any close friends usually. But down here in Chiayi, it's impossible, even the Couchsurfing group here refuses to meet up, and even the foreigners here on Couchsurfing won't meet me. They all wanna be left alone. There's some social disease here, like the Twilight Zone. I've never seen a town like Chiayi where everyone was completely antisocial like this, including the foreigners. I'm the only one immune to the antisocial disease here. I'm the only normal human left it seems. Like the last human in a zombie movie. No joke. If you don't believe me, come here and see for yourself.

Now I don't mind not having any friends, if I like the vibe at least and feel comfortable being alone. But Taiwan has a highly negative vibe where everything feels creepy, awkward and inappropriate. It makes me feel handicapped, even going to the store or 7-11 or doing errands in Taiwan is difficult for me, because the negative vibe makes me feel uncomfortable everywhere I go, like I'm not even allowed to exist, and takes away my confidence and self-esteem, like Kryptonite does to Superman. That's how bad it is. It's worse than you can imagine. No joke. I kid you not. See my earlier posts above about that too.

You see, I don't mind having no friends. What I hate most is that awkward, creepy, inappropriate, uncomfortable vibe I feel in Taiwan. That's what makes it unbearable and depressing and deflating and handicaps me where I can't do anything except work online, which ultimately damages my mental health and leads to a sedentary lifestyle too, which is bad for my physical health.

Yes Russia is a lot more fun than Asia. So I don't regret going to Russia. But even in Russia there were a lot of mistimings that I regret. A lot of murphy's law and mistimings.

If I could do it over, I'd prefer going to China than Taiwan. China at least has a normal vibe where I don't feel as awkward as Taiwan. I mean China isn't as soul sucking and doesn't take away my confidence like Taiwan does. But China can be boring too sometimes, since people are robots and ants who only live to work. But there are more women who are serious about marriage in China than in Taiwan.

However, the problem is, as I mentioned before, I don't fit in Chinese culture. I'm not materialistic and not workaholic and do not live to work. Chinese women are very serious. They do not date for fun (maybe with white guys they do, but not with asian guys). They want a stable guy who will settle down, live to work so they can buy a house and raise a family, etc. They want someone super responsible, hard working and dependable. They don't want a freespirit adventurer or traveler like me. People like me are only accepted in Philippines and Thailand and maybe other parts of SE Asia, or Eastern Europe or Russia or Latin America. There are freespirit Chinese women, though very few, but those usually want white guys, not me. So I'm kind of screwed.

I mentioned all this in many threads before, if you remember. You know how Chinese culture is Yick, so you know what I mean I'm sure.

So yeah, China would accept me racially more than Russia does, but China will not accept my soul and personality and attitude, which is a better fit in Russia or Europe or Latin America or SE Asia. That's the dilemma. Hard to find a balance there. You see how complicated this is, when your looks and race and your soul don't match up? LOL. f***ed up huh? LOL

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Keep in mind everyone, that in countries like Taiwan and America, you do not need to see a billboard or plague on the wall that says:

"Do not talk to strangers. Mind your own business. Keep to yourself. Only socialize within cliques if you have one. If you don't have a clique you are a loser. Go away. Be cold and closed like everyone else, or else you will be seen as a freak."

You don't need that to be written in stone. No. You can FEEL and SENSE such rules in the environment by going anywhere in public. Even at the airport you can feel that kind of vibe. It's an unspoken rule that everyone can feel and sense. It doesn't need to be spelled out in words in a law or billboard. You guys know what I mean right?

Girls who are approachable in some countries, do not wear a sign that says "I am approachable". Again you can FEEL and SENSE that she's approachable. You know what I mean right?

Many things like this are unspoken. You know them but they are not spelled out. For example, in America everyone knows that when comparing men and women, you are ALWAYS required to make the women seem smarter, wiser and less stupid, than the men. Women are always portrayed in a more positive light than men. You CANNOT even say something everyone knows to be true, if it favors men, such as "Men are stronger than women" or "Men are smarter than women at the top level" etc. Even though everyone knows that, no one dares to say it. It's a no no, a taboo. It doesn't need to be written in stone. It's something everyone just knows.

You know what I mean guys?

@jamesbond you feel and sense this too right?

Winston
Site Admin

Re: How can Taiwan be "friendly" if no one wants to be your friend? 10 Reasons Why Taiwan is Unfriendly

Post by Winston »

Wow look what one guy on Facebook told me about my complaints about Taiwan! Finally another sane person sees the obvious! I think this guy is white and appears to be from Greece, but I'm not sure.
I read your answer about the Taiwanese culture and i couldn't agree more. I feel i cannot breathe here. This is definitely THE MOST UNFRIENDLY AND CLOSEMINDED CULTURE IN ASIA. I mean don't get me wrong. You can find cool individuals. But generally speaking, as a cultural force, jesus. What is happening? And also what you said striked a chord. Why no one says anthing? What is with this unwritten rule of critiscizing anything? I have been called CCP agent. Can you believe that? Actually i did a lot of language exchanges before with people from Mainland from many provinces and i found them to be very openiminded despite their government. In Taiwan i see the opposite. Everyone is saying how much democracy there is but there is absolutely no indiviuality. Everyone is a willing sheep. Really. I am shocked. I spend already 7 months here. Waiting for the borders to open to another Asian country and i will never come back in Taiwan. Jesus. Thank you for your insight. It helped me a lot.
My reply:

thanks. I'm glad someone out there understands and is sane. isn't it weird how so many people say Taiwan is friendly? how can taiwan be friendly if no one wants to be your real friend? makes no sense. contradicts basic logic. you gotta wonder if everyone is insane. how did you find my article? what did you google?

is taipei like that too or only chiayi? do you notice people have a weird vibe too? especially women? it's hard to explain. like a very weird, awkward, negative vibe. I know you can meet people in taipei if you join stuff like meetup.com or couchsurfing.org but most of these meetings are superficial with no real connection or bond or camaraderie. people are polite but awkward. yes I agree with you about mainland china. china has a variety of different people both good and bad, but they act a lot more natural and normal.

good point. democracy does not mean free country. in taiwan and japan the social culture is what controls people, not government, and the social culture is very restrictive and repressed in taiwan. thats' why it doesn't feel free. the people also have a negative weird vibe too. it's hard to explain in exact words. only elderly people in taiwan are down to earth and talk to strangers openly.

Winston
Site Admin

Re: How can Taiwan be "friendly" if no one wants to be your friend? 10 Reasons Why Taiwan is Unfriendly

Post by Winston »

Next reply from the Greek guy stuck in Taipei, Taiwan and miserable and cant leave because of the pandemic:

"Hey man. Nice to meet you. I am from Greece actually. It is exactly as you are pointing it out. Especially the women. I like to be myself in a pleasant way so this environment is very suffocating. I agree 100% about the women. What in the hell is wrong with them? I met Asian women from all over but Taiwanese are simply the worst kind. Lifeless and without any drive. That ackwardness you describe is EVERYWHERE AND.... YES!!!! ONLY SOME ELDERLY TAIWANESE ARE NORMAL. I am so fascinated by the old ladies in Carefour or the ones who are working in buffets. They are so real and alive. But all the other zombies around make everything so lifeless. Jesus. I met also a number of foreigners who came here for exchange programs and they told me exactly the same. They became traumatized by the culture. Jesus. I was in THailand for quite a while and the people there are so free. Freedom to function as individual financial units."

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Alex's take on why most people claim Taiwan is very friendly:

[7/7, 4:38 PM] Winston Wu: So bro im not the only one who sees the obvious about Taiwan.
[7/7, 4:39 PM] Alex From Venice: Yes, seems that others have made the same your observations relative to people in other countries. I have no experience so I can't say anything based on my own experience.
[7/7, 4:41 PM] Alex From Venice: I mean, seems that Taiwanese acts differently compared to people in other countries.
[7/7, 4:41 PM] Alex From Venice: as you stated many times
[7/7, 5:06 PM] Winston Wu: Yes but most people online say taiwanese are super friendly. Some travel websites even claim taiwan is the friendliest country in the world. Its insane. If u google "Taiwan" u will see what i mean. Most websites claim taiwan is "very friendly".
[7/7, 5:07 PM] Alex From Venice: Maybe they come from countries where people is even less friendlier
[7/7, 5:07 PM] Alex From Venice: or they have a different idea of the meaning of word "friendly", they may think it's like "polite"
[7/7, 5:08 PM] Alex From Venice: or they don't have much experiences on other countries to make proper comparisons
[7/7, 5:10 PM] Alex From Venice: as I told you many times, despite people is totally unaware of this, human language is SUBJECTIVE by nature, it's not objective like computer language. So misunderstanding in communication by the use of human language is the permanent dimension on which human communication lies
[7/7, 5:12 PM] Alex From Venice: besides, all observations based on a limited amount of data aren't totally reliable and to be considered objective. That's why medicine isn't considered an exact science, as well as economy and sociology. It's because they are based on statistical observations
[7/7, 5:14 PM] Alex From Venice: they try to make inductions of general rules, out of observations of a small number of subjects thought representative for all

hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

Winston wrote:
July 7th, 2020, 2:35 am
Alex's take on why most people claim Taiwan is very friendly:

[7/7, 4:38 PM] Winston Wu: So bro im not the only one who sees the obvious about Taiwan.
[7/7, 4:39 PM] Alex From Venice: Yes, seems that others have made the same your observations relative to people in other countries. I have no experience so I can't say anything based on my own experience.
[7/7, 4:41 PM] Alex From Venice: I mean, seems that Taiwanese acts differently compared to people in other countries.
[7/7, 4:41 PM] Alex From Venice: as you stated many times
[7/7, 5:06 PM] Winston Wu: Yes but most people online say taiwanese are super friendly. Some travel websites even claim taiwan is the friendliest country in the world. Its insane. If u google "Taiwan" u will see what i mean. Most websites claim taiwan is "very friendly".
[7/7, 5:07 PM] Alex From Venice: Maybe they come from countries where people is even less friendlier
[7/7, 5:07 PM] Alex From Venice: or they have a different idea of the meaning of word "friendly", they may think it's like "polite"
[7/7, 5:08 PM] Alex From Venice: or they don't have much experiences on other countries to make proper comparisons
[7/7, 5:10 PM] Alex From Venice: as I told you many times, despite people is totally unaware of this, human language is SUBJECTIVE by nature, it's not objective like computer language. So misunderstanding in communication by the use of human language is the permanent dimension on which human communication lies
[7/7, 5:12 PM] Alex From Venice: besides, all observations based on a limited amount of data aren't totally reliable and to be considered objective. That's why medicine isn't considered an exact science, as well as economy and sociology. It's because they are based on statistical observations
[7/7, 5:14 PM] Alex From Venice: they try to make inductions of general rules, out of observations of a small number of subjects thought representative for all
I have only been to Taiwan (Taipei) once and only for a couple of days, so I am the last person who can give you a solid judgment on Taiwan and its people.

One of my batchmates at culinary academy was a guy from Taiwan, though. His name is Xin-hong but insisted to be called "Matteo" and I went visit in Taipei a few years ago, as a quick stopover. When he was in Italy with us conversations about his home country and culture abounded.

He basically told us Italy and its beautiful, warm culture (food culture and general) was his "dream escape". "Escape from what" was our common question. He meant escape from the strict, disciplined way of life he had in Taiwan. He kept saying his brain was Taiwanese but his senses (as in 5 senses) were Italian. He came from a family of very rich restaurateurs and hotel owners and he was the only son in the family who preferred specialising in food preparation, rather than getting an MBA from Singapore or New York and be the CEO or president of the franchise.

In other words, he was interested in the essence of his family business: deliver the finest culinary experiences, not drive profits and find ways to save on ingredients and staff costs. He had his elder brothers and two sisters for that. He kept saying Italy was his "liberation", the place where his dreams came true.

At the time, at least, the stereotype we had of Taiwan was the super-efficient technology hub where all the best electronics and computing stuff was built. Plus Taiwanese cuisine is legendary, the perfect blend of Chinese and Japanese. We didn't understand what could possibly be so bad...maybe his family were putting him under pressure, or he found his home situation boring (understandable), etc.

Even during the two days I spent with him, going around Taipei and the beautiful green north of Taipei, I was nothing but amazed by what I saw and tasted. Can't speak about the whole of Taiwan, but Taipei really looked like a perfect blend of Chinese culture with Japanese discipline, attention to quality and efficiency in delivery. His restaurants and hotels looked perfection.

I didn't honestly have time to ask more about why he used to complain and by then he had kind of lost that "Italy good, Taiwan bad" attitude, he was the VP/Exec Chef/food designer with bigger fish to fry.

Every member of his family, his staff and friends I met, were all nice and polite. Some spoke good English, one even spoke Italian, so we could connect pretty well. I didn't notice "distance" and "absence of life", just politeness. But then again, I was only there as a stopover and never visited back. Considering how close I am to Taiwan, I think I should be back to Taipei as soon as standard flight schedule resumes. It used to be less than $70 return, with AirAsia.

So, back to what you're saying about Taiwanese people, there is one theory I have: if Taiwanese people are culturally closer to Japanese than Chinese, could it be that they generally display more desire to interact and bond together if they feel you belong to the same social/professional circle? Matteo and I shared the same industry/professional and bonded over a 2-year period, where he got to love and appreciate everything Italy can offer. In fact I often had the impression that he was so fascinated about the food, the architecture and the history that he just wouldn't see all the problems that our country had (and still has).

What I am trying to say, @Winston, is that maybe Taiwanese men and women might you see and behave differently if they see you as having something in common with what they are or do? Maybe you like playing chess, or piano, or watching American movies, and could find people with the same hobbies and interests, better if they speak some English, and find that kind of "contact" with them? Perhaps there are clubs, associations or meet-ups where these people congregate and interact?

You were brought up in the US and are naturally more outspoken and extroverted. The ice barrier to break with Taiwanese is quite obvious. Again, my impression was they were polite and soft-spoken like the Japanese and probably would have acted shily and distantly if I wasn't introduced as Matteo's good friend. Maybe you just have to find a way to break that barrier and bonding over some common interest could be a way?

Just my 2 (Euro)cents :)