Italy Expat Report

Moderated area for expat living and dating discussions. Members only. Must qualify with good knowledge, experience, character to be member and participate. See guidelines inside. Civil behavior only. No trolls, attacks or insults.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

OutWest wrote:
zboy1 wrote:Publicduende, this is a warning: desist your attacks on Eurobrat or else I'm going to kick you off this forum.

What are you talking about? Have you lost it? Obviously they are having a "spat" and a somewhat informative and entertaining one, but neither one of them even come close to some banning level! lol

If you compare this thread with the hard core racist threads that are common place here,
or other "Attack" threads, this is clearly just two men having it out.

You have all kinds of crazy people posting here, supporters of mass rape and murder, just regular white trash racists spewing the usual sewage, some who are clearly seriously disturbed, and yet they continue to be able to post here.

Nothing Euro or Public have said rises to that level. Perhaps if banning is still possible, why not save it for some of the demented sociopaths that can still post here at will.
To be brief, I agree with OutWest.

ZBoy, somehow your reading of the tone here is somehow a little out of key.

These guys are just ranting in a way that HA is here for.

This shit is a lot of what I am facing being an all-alone expat myself. Probably Euro is right about 100% of his criticisms of Italy and OutWest is 100% right about his criticism of Euro. But in any case this discussion brings out many of things many of us face as expats who do NOT have an "expat package", who are just roving in search of home and community and future family, like feral cats looking for a meal.

So please let them be, ZBoy.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

All I can say about this exchange is....

:shock:
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

eurobrat wrote:
OutWest wrote: Euro-

I am no kind of expert on Italy, but having lived in three countries in Latin America and two in Asia, I have learned a bit about the hazards of expatriation. I have seen men who seemed to be following what I think sage advice, who never the less, had bad experiences. Giving advice is like lending clothing- it does not always fit.

What mystical power did Public have to prevent you from leaving Italy after a month or two, with the conclusion that Italy was just not for you? Some men, buy the nature and makeup, are incompatible with another man's well intended advice. Perhaps you should realize this. Advice and experience are both dominated by individual taste, character and background.

You make it sound as if Public had some spiteful agenda. Based on what I have read of his travels and his conversations about the Philippines, which I know very well, he comes across as a man with a rather generous heart and a good traveler. He comes across as a man who does not assume too much, who is capable of adjusting his expectations and behavior to local conditions, and hence improve his results.

Yes, there are hazards in giving advice as well as taking it. You did continue in Italy though it should have been obvious in a relatively short period of time that it was not working out for you.
You come across as churlish and ungrateful to a man who made good faith efforts to be of help and gave of his own time.

I have been through quite a few countries- more than most, and some I liked a blot better than others, yet I have yet to find someplace where I could not find a niche to make my own. On quite a few occasions I found quite attractive girls inhabiting the same niche in fact.

Why would you let Public or anyone else own your experience? That is what you are doing when you blame him for his "bad" advice. Whether intended or not, you come across as a spoiled entitled young American (complete with the slights about Public's "old age") rather than someone who is looking to craft and own their own experiences and adjust to local conditions, or not (As in just leaving).

You could have had a bad experience in Italy, left much earlier if it was beyond hope, found nirvana in Berlin, and in the end ended up at some point having a pint with Public in London. I do not know if you will come to see this, or just rage against that em-efer in London that screwed you over. I mean really, aren't you better than that?
Point well taken, but who the f**k are you to say that I put in absolutely no effort and I'm just some spoiled young american? That's just plain out wrong and now you're the one assuming and not me. :evil:

Where you there? Do you have any idea how hard I worked to get to Italy and make it work with all the different types of life issues we encounter when going abroad such as finding steady income to feed and clothe and put a roof over your head, making sure you are legally in the country, bank accounts, finding a decent apartment or room to rent, getting to know the city, the customs, learning the language etc. etc. I actually solved all of those except finding a social circle because the Italian people I encountered were too cliquey and closed off or I wasn't cool enough.

For anyone to say I just snapped my fingers and decided to go expat to Italy is insane. It took 2 years of planning for me, selling all my stuff, closing off ties in the US, actually more like 7 years if you count how long the Jus Soli process took with the Italians.

I stayed because I truly did intend on making it work, that's why I stayed. I tried as hard as I could but there's just no way to socially be accepted in Italy unless you grow up there. I have seen it and lived it.

At times I felt like his advice was pointless, which a lot of it was. And other advice he gave, I tried out and it was good so I followed it. In comparing with other Italians I found his advice dated and mostly completely useless, maybe he's not as spiteful as he comes off and maybe he's just aloof but a turd is a turd in my eyes. If his advice couldn't produce results as it didn't, then obviously his advice isn't worth anything. I made a few friends in Italy on my own accord who I now talk with regularly but that had nothing to do with Publics advice and had more with me being simply myself.

Just as you said advice is like clothes, well so are countries, people and cultures. I hate Italian culture and Italians but at least I gave it a shot and tried it out. I do feel much more at peace here in Berlin. It's more economically safe, it's clean and efficient, there's no more loud Italians around. I actually go out now and enjoy talking to the people, eating the food and taking in the culture and history.

You can sit here and fling shit at me from your keyboard through the internet, but in the end you have no idea how much I went through and how hard it was in Italy to just enjoy myself, the country, the people and the whole expatriating experience.
Euro- Why sound so persecuted? LOL Of course, I know nothing of you except what I read here, so
and "judgements" I might render are those of an observer, and I have no basis otherwise. All commentary is of course rendered accordingly.

Secondly, the extent of your expatriation plans were very extensive and obviously costly and time consuming- a big life change. I am certainly asked about this kind of thing- going expat in SE Asia or Latin America, and without fail, I will ALWAYS strongly advise any aspiring expat to make a low risk pass at his target country, and I don't mean a couple of weeks. It takes 2 or 3 months at the
bare minimum to get past the rose colored glasses phase and start to actually get a feel for the country. Did you do this in Italy and I just missed it? Anything else is a formula for
disaster, and I have seen many train wrecks in that regard. I would say that any advice that misses
strong cautions to aspiring expats does them a disservice. Such things as furnished apartments, language immersion classes and even home-stays related to such immersion classes can be extremely
helpful. You might indeed come to the conclusion that the country sucks, but at least you do not end up betting your life on it.

This does not seem like fancy thinking in my view, it just seems like common sense.
At any rate, you experiences in Berlin are interesting and I wish you the best.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

OutWest wrote:
Secondly, the extent of your expatriation plans were very extensive and obviously costly and time consuming- a big life change. I am certainly asked about this kind of thing- going expat in SE Asia or Latin America, and without fail, I will ALWAYS strongly advise any aspiring expat to make a low risk pass at his target country, and I don't mean a couple of weeks. It takes 2 or 3 months at the
bare minimum to get past the rose colored glasses phase and start to actually get a feel for the country. Did you do this in Italy and I just missed it? Anything else is a formula for disaster, and I have seen many train wrecks in that regard. I would say that any advice that misses strong cautions to aspiring expats does them a disservice. Such things as furnished apartments, language immersion classes and even home-stays related to such immersion classes can be extremely helpful. You might indeed come to the conclusion that the country sucks, but at least you do not end up betting your life on it.
See, I wish someone had told me to do that before packing up my entire life and moving. I knew though it was all or nothing as I was getting older fast and could die soon.

But had Public Douchebag said to do this first then I wouldn't have made the mistake of moving there. Instead he was at the other spectrum encouraging me to move saying everything would be fine and that I would find my way and fit in. He assured me that I would fit in socially in Italy and have a good time in the adjustment process, boy was he wrong.

Luckily Europe has this united thing going on for the moment where I can move around pretty easily, had it not been this way I probably would have gone back seeing how Italy is far worse than the US.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

eurobrat wrote:
OutWest wrote:
bare minimum to get past the rose colored glasses phase and start to actually get a feel for the country. Did you do this in Italy and I just missed it? Anything else is a formula for disaster, and I have seen many train wrecks in that regard. I would say that any advice that misses strong cautions to aspiring expats does them a disservice. Such things as furnished apartments, language immersion classes and even home-stays related to such immersion classes can be extremely helpful. You might indeed come to the conclusion that the country sucks, but at least you do not end up betting your life on it.
See, I wish someone had told me to do that before packing up my entire life and moving. I knew though it was all or nothing as I was getting older fast and could die soon.

But had Public Douchebag said to do this first then I wouldn't have made the mistake of moving there. Instead he was at the other spectrum encouraging me to move saying everything would be fine and that I would find my way and fit in. He assured me that I would fit in socially in Italy and have a good time in the adjustment process, boy was he wrong.

Luckily Europe has this united thing going on for the moment where I can move around pretty easily, had it not been this way I probably would have gone back seeing how Italy is far worse than the US.

Well, in that regard you did not get good advice. The limited risk "trial period" is absolutely fundamental. Do it Expat-lite for a few months and much heartache can be saved.
I have talked with likely dozens of men about this and the "fact-finding introductory period is the starting point of the conversation. Do this trip and if all is good, you have simply starting your move from a more informed and often more economical point of view. If it does not work out however, you still have had an interesting vacation.

>>>Don't bet the farm!!!!!

...hopefully your Berlin experience will begin to compensate....

-> What was this "getting older fast and could die" soon stuff about???
I don't get it- I thought you were a young man.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

eurobrat wrote:Good, you deserve it after what you did to me in Italy and I will never forget it. Maybe I will down the road after I get what I want, but still I'm glad I pissed you off after you threw me in the pit for the wolves to finish me off.
God you sound like Elliot's "manifesto". How can one believe for a minute you're happy and contented in Berlin if you are still capable of throwing so much hate at a single country and a single person? I feel almost sorry for throwing a spanner into the wheelworks of what you believed was your victorious personal revenge against Evil Italy. Whatever advantages Germany may have over Italy, you are coming across so poisonous and biased, people will better take anything you say with the proverbial pinch of salt. LOL I almost imagine some other incautious HA member, perhaps a black or Asian member, moving to Berlin looking for his slice of paradise cake and then complaining to YOU for being too switched and unrealistic... That would be fun, wouldn't it?
Last edited by publicduende on September 5th, 2014, 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

eurobrat wrote:See, I wish someone had told me to do that before packing up my entire life and moving. I knew though it was all or nothing as I was getting older fast and could die soon.

This was perhaps your biggest delusion: to think that you could be getting a golden pack of free advice that would completely sort you out with the life and the country of your dreams. I did not encourage you to move, you were switched blind like a raging bull on the streets of Pamplona (Google the metaphor) and completely skipped the parts where I was warning you about lack of jobs, importance of social circles, being realistic and humble and so on.

I did not sell you anything, but surely you put far too many expectations in what you (apparently) bought off me. You've proved yourself, me and everybody here that you are totally ill equipped to be an expat: sky high expectations, stereotypes, this sweeping arrogance of having to always use your homeland as a supreme benchmark for everything, little to tolerate - let alone understand - the cultural differences and leverage whatever benefits you might have. Maybe things will change now you're in more "americanised" Germany. One can only hope.

For one more time, will you stop the blame garden hose and move on. Every new bout of insult is just cementing your impression of a completely deranged, lost soul. Your position of "finally better off in Berlin" has lost most of its credibility, if you continue complaining about your past mistakes as if they were somebody else's.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

publicduende wrote:
eurobrat wrote:See, I wish someone had told me to do that before packing up my entire life and moving. I knew though it was all or nothing as I was getting older fast and could die soon.

This was perhaps your biggest delusion: to think that you could be getting a golden pack of free advice that would completely sort you out with the life and the country of your dreams. I did not encourage you to move, you were switched blind like a raging bull on the streets of Pamplona (Google the metaphor) and completely skipped the parts where I was warning you about lack of jobs, importance of social circles, being realistic and humble and so on.

I did not sell you anything, but surely you put far too many expectations in what you (apparently) bought off me. You've proved yourself, me and everybody here that you are totally ill equipped to be an expat: sky high expectations, stereotypes, this sweeping arrogance of having to always use your homeland as a supreme benchmark for everything, little to tolerate - let alone understand - the cultural differences and leverage whatever benefits you might have. Maybe things will change now you're in more "americanised" Germany. One can only hope.

For one more time, will you stop the blame garden hose and move on. Every new bout of insult is just cementing your impression of a completely deranged, lost soul. Your position of "finally better off in Berlin" has lost most of its credibility, if you continue complaining about your past mistakes as if they were somebody else's.
You never mentioned how much worse off Southern Europe was, and how cliquey and impossible social circles were to join in Italy before moving. The other things about Italy didn't bother me as much as the people. You think I'm a lost soul but I think Italy is the country that lost it's soul and mojo.

Maybe I did have a few stereotypes in my head but I never expected to get completely ripped off like I did in Italy or flat out ignored and turned down. Italians for decades were known for their generosity and hospitality yet I never saw it once.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

publicduende wrote:
eurobrat wrote:Good, you deserve it after what you did to me in Italy and I will never forget it. Maybe I will down the road after I get what I want, but still I'm glad I pissed you off after you threw me in the pit for the wolves to finish me off.
God you sound like Elliot's "manifesto". How can one believe for a minute you're happy and contented in Berlin if you are still capable of throwing so much hate at a single country and a single person? I feel almost sorry for throwing a spanner into the wheelworks of what you believed was your victorious personal revenge against Evil Italy. Whatever advantages Germany may have over Italy, you are coming across so poisonous and biased, people will better take anything you say with the proverbial pinch of salt. LOL I almost imagine some other incautious HA member, perhaps a black or Asian member, moving to Berlin looking for his slice of paradise cake and then complaining to YOU for being too switched and unrealistic... That would be fun, wouldn't it?
I'm not saying Berlin is some magical fantasy land where all your dreams come true, I'm saying that at least theres a future here and yes the people are much better off.

No one is living at home like they do in Italy sucking off their parents teat at 35-40 years old. Italy was depressing in that sense with all the poverty, joblessness and the angry, miserable attitude everyday from the Italians bitching about "the crisis". For me it was a real turn off expatriating there. I thought Italy was this happy, fun place with good food? What happened to that stereotype?

I'm pretty sure everyone here on this forum would enjoy living in Berlin over being miserable in Italy.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

OutWest wrote: Well, in that regard you did not get good advice. The limited risk "trial period" is absolutely fundamental. Do it Expat-lite for a few months and much heartache can be saved. I have talked with likely dozens of men about this and the "fact-finding introductory period is the starting point of the conversation. Do this trip and if all is good, you have simply starting your move from a more informed and often more economical point of view. If it does not work out however, you still have had an interesting vacation.

>>>Don't bet the farm!!!!!

...hopefully your Berlin experience will begin to compensate....

-> What was this "getting older fast and could die" soon stuff about???
I don't get it- I thought you were a young man.
I think it would have helped if Public put it this way and then I would have had one foot in the door and the other foot out. Instead I decided to just throw myself in there because Public made it seem like the water was warm.

I think everyone should live life to the fullest because one never knows when he will go. Although I lost a year of my life because of Publics poor advice in combination with my imagination and stereotypes, I guess it was still worth the experience and I will leave it at that.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

eurobrat wrote:You never mentioned how much worse off Southern Europe was, and how cliquey and impossible social circles were to join in Italy before moving. The other things about Italy didn't bother me as much as the people. You think I'm a lost soul but I think Italy is the country that lost it's soul and mojo.

Maybe I did have a few stereotypes in my head but I never expected to get completely ripped off like I did in Italy or flat out ignored and turned down. Italians for decades were known for their generosity and hospitality yet I never saw it once.
Perhaps I never mentioned "how much worse Southern Europe is" because...I don't believe it's true? Social circles are a common trait of any "Southern" country of the world (including the Middle East, most of Africa, Latin America and some of Asia like the Philippines). Some are harder than others to get into, some are more worth the hassle than others. But they're there, and it's your chance to go and get noticed. Again, if I knew you had so much trouble adjusting to a nearly ubiquitous reality that you told me you were accustomed to (due to family heritage, travelling, international friends), the mistake wasn't to advise you badly, it was to trust you words!

Italy has lots is soul and mojo compared to your 60s Hollywood stereotypes. We have always been a country mired in socio-economical problems and yes, the proverbial warmth and "southern-ness" of the Italian people is rapidly fading into the ocean of hyper-connected cynicism, solitude and indifference. But why was that such a surprise? In 2014, with the globalist agenda a full scale success, you really still believe there are exceptional countries to live and settle in? Your best bet is try and be an exceptional, or at least a decent person. That would probably be enough to do just fine in most of the world.

Where did you get ripped off? You expected lower prices? LOL thank the f***ing Euro. What kind of generosity and good mods were you expecting, when you were all wrapped up in your personal bubble of negativity? Is there a single episode in your year in Italy where you started the interaction by giving instead of claiming?

Just one example: I told you a good idea was to turn up to a local church and introduce yourself, say you're new and not so conversant in our lingua. You could then offer free language exchange sessions, but even that would have been an overkill. The priest would have probably told you to turn up at the small hall on the back at such and such hour and he would have introduced you to the other kids. I warmly recommended you to go there and do that. What did you do? Find the church website and send them a single e-mail, which contents are still unknown to me, only to complain that 24 hours later they hadn't gotten back to you. I said "just friggin' go there, turn up and you'll probably find the priest is a 70 years old who doesn't even know how to switch a PC on but there might be a few younger guys who speak English and will take an interest". Your answer: you don't trust a place that is too medieval and backwards not to use e-mail.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

eurobrat wrote:I think everyone should live life to the fullest because one never knows when he will go. Although I lost a year of my life because of Publics poor advice in combination with my imagination and stereotypes, I guess it was still worth the experience and I will leave it at that.
You're bent out of shape, mate. If you list my "poor advice" as the main reason why you lost a year abroad, that says a lot more about the recipient of that advice than the advice itself.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

eurobrat wrote:I'm not saying Berlin is some magical fantasy land where all your dreams come true, I'm saying that at least theres a future here and yes the people are much better off.

No one is living at home like they do in Italy sucking off their parents teat at 35-40 years old. Italy was depressing in that sense with all the poverty, joblessness and the angry, miserable attitude everyday from the Italians bitching about "the crisis". For me it was a real turn off expatriating there. I thought Italy was this happy, fun place with good food? What happened to that stereotype?

I'm pretty sure everyone here on this forum would enjoy living in Berlin over being miserable in Italy.
Sure, wait until you have to find a proper job, or you are looking for a serious relationship and building a life. As for better off, it's a well known fact that Italians are on average richer and better off than Germans. Indeed, that was one of the main reason why Germans used to be extremely envious of our productive economy pre-Euro: flexible currency (Lira), lower cost of labour, high quality of engineering and the Italian creative zest on top. Than the Euro yoke came in full force and we lost much of that. But that's something you cannot even begin to acknowledge, so switched you are on your magical land.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

publicduende wrote:
eurobrat wrote:I'm not saying Berlin is some magical fantasy land where all your dreams come true, I'm saying that at least theres a future here and yes the people are much better off.

Sure, wait until you have to find a proper job, or you are looking for a serious relationship and building a life. As for better off, it's a well known fact that Italians are on average richer and better off than Germans. Indeed, that was one of the main reason why Germans used to be extremely envious of our productive economy pre-Euro: flexible currency (Lira), lower cost of labour, high quality of engineering and the Italian creative zest on top. Than the Euro yoke came in full force and we lost much of that. But that's something you cannot even begin to acknowledge, so switched you are on your magical land.
What do you constitute as a proper job? Because I was making a lot more then the people my age in Italy. What you constitute going into an office in 2015 as a proper job? Aren't you working at home today as I do everyday?

You live in the past dude, the Lira is gone and the Euro is here to stay. What is it with you guys living in the past like Americans do? Italians are not richer than Germans nowadays and they're going poor very quickly. They have some savings and assets but like we discussed it's only enough for one generation.

Sure the jobs here in Germany are nothing super special but at least theres lots of them and the Germans are still trucking ahead while you and your people are living in the past, living off grannies money and squandering away what little you have left before the coming storm.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

eurobrat wrote:What do you constitute as a proper job? Because I was making a lot more then the people my age in Italy. What you constitute going into an office in 2015 as a proper job? Aren't you working at home today as I do everyday?[

You live in the past dude, the Lira is gone and the Euro is here to stay. What is it with you guys living in the past like Americans do? Italians are not richer than Germans nowadays and they're going poor very quickly. They have some savings and assets but like we discussed it's only enough for one generation.

Sure the jobs here in Germany are nothing super special but at least theres lots of them and the Germans are still trucking ahead while you and your people are living in the past, living off grannies money and squandering away what little you have left before the coming storm.
Once again, if you really felt happy and secure in Berlin, you wouldn't feel the urge to compare yourself with Italians. Yes I am working from home today, else I would have time to reply to you in such a timely fashion. Office jobs could be daunting for the commute, but at least give you the chance to interact with people, exchange ideas and see their reactions in their faces if you say something they don't like. Something you certainly need badly, as your mind is clearly rotting away, so stuck in the realm of online and phone (when you're lucky) interactions. That's why I had told you, even a simple bar job in Italy would have worked miracle to your social life, compared to the reclusion you are going through.

Euro is here to stay...and I am having my doubts here. And anyway, what you say about Italy might well be true, still you're not sounding objective, given that you had a very bad experience. The worse economy and politics in Italy wasn't the reasons you were miserable in Italy, just as much as the better situation in Germany won't help you being happier.

Grow up.