Let's organize a Meetup (San Diego/Tijuana)

Arrange meetups and get togethers with other Happier Abroad members in your area, or coming to your area.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Okay so now I propose the weekend of July 19.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Post by Jonny Law »

WE SHOULD MEET ANY ORGANIZATION WORTH A FU#K HAS MEETINGS
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Jonny Law wrote:WE SHOULD MEET ANY ORGANIZATION WORTH A FU#K HAS MEETINGS
Does that mean you're coming?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

drealm wrote:Hotel La Villa de Zaragoza is fine with me.
Me too.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Winston wrote:
So far, the following people have said they are in:

fschmidt
djfourmoney
Jester
drealm
Winston
TravelingFirefighter
gsjackson (maybe)
* plus one guy on our Facebook group wants to go too

Momopi said he's too busy to go. And MarkLambo prefers to go to TJ and come back the same day. He doesn't like to stay overnight there. So he may not be able to join us.

Gsjackson, when are you going to be in Tucson?

I PMed and Skyped Phoenix about this meetup since he lives in Phoenix. But he didn't respond to me yet.
Winston please email or PM AIM (AmericanInMexico?), Mr Peabody, and RoyalDude in case they havent seen this thread. They all live in Mexico.

Also please email or PM any members in Vancouver, the airfare from there to Tijuana is approximately zero (double for roundtrip :wink:)
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Winston wrote:
To all of you who are going, can you please post your response to these questions:

1. Can you make it Thursday? Or only Friday?
***ANYTIME****

2. Will you be driving or flying into San Diego?
***PREFER TO AVOID CROSSING BACK INTO THE USSA UNLESS NECESSARY***

3. Are you on a tight budget? If so, some of you can share hotel rooms together with two beds to minimize the cost.
*** I SNORE, NO ROOMMATES PLEASE.***

4. Do you want to stay in TJ past Sunday? If so, and you flew in, you will have to discuss this with the person driving you. Or you can leave by public transportation later if your driver will leave before you. I'm sure there's a way to get to the border and to the airport using public transportation.
***YES IT'S EASY, I THINK IT'S CALLED MEXICOACH, THEY GET YOU ACROSS THE BORDER BACK INTO THE SAN YSIDRO. THEY CAN ALSO GET YOU TO SANTA ANA IN ORANGE COUNTY, SOMEHWERE ELSE LIKE PARAMOUNT IN SE LA COUNTY, AND DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES.***
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

drealm wrote:
Winston this is just a logistics suggestion, it may be easiest just to meet Friday at San Ysidro border crossing. Then we walk over together. Drives-ins can park at San Ysidro border station, it's very safe for cars.

Fly-ins can taxi from airport to downtown SD, then take the trolley from downtown SD to San Ysidro.
Brilliant suggestion. Walking across the border alone is the scariest part about Mexico, due to drug-addicted deportees ("deportados") living and lurking in the no-man's land. In a group it will be secure and also fun.

drealm wrote:
A few maps may help.
WELL DONE with the maps

+10
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Let's organize a Meetup (San Diego/Tijuana)

Post by Jester »

fschmidt wrote:
My suggestion is meeting in Tijuana for a weekend. So we meet in the San Diego airport Friday night, go together to Tijuana, and return to the airport Sunday afternoon. The reason I suggest Tijuana is simple. Tijuana is the most convenient place that is actually abroad to meet for a weekend.
So those flying into San Diego or driving from Arizona etc would cross the border together (ideally) or in various groups (more likely) Friday afternoon, get settled and checked in, and we would all meet for coffee at the hotel Saturday morning, and check out Sunday?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

djfourmoney wrote:I don't have a problem meeting in TJ, the bus ride is cheap (under $30 R/T). It all depends when it happens however, I seriously plan to be out of the country by the end of the summer.
Which bus company. from which station in Los Angeles?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

fschmidt wrote:
We can make the core meetup in Tijuana for a weekend and then anyone who can extend that before or after, I will also extend my trip to match. The extended time can be spent wherever the group wants.
I could offer a fairly comprehensive, well-organized real estate tour of Ensenada, the next major city south of Tijuana, more relaxed and safer. It's around 2 hours south of Tijuana if you drive slowly and enjoy the scenery.

Better place to live than Tijuana, but still close to the border.

Rentals from $250 to $650 a month
Trailers from $12,000 up (plus ground rent)
Houses from $40,000 to $250,000 (some with ground rent or small association fee)

All in safe areas with gringos and middle or upper middle class Mexicans.
Some on the beach or with ocean view.
Some located in an idyllic country club on a golf course.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Winston wrote:1. Can you make it Thursday? Or only Friday?
either
2. Will you be driving or flying into San Diego?
flying
3. Are you on a tight budget?
no
4. Do you want to stay in TJ past Sunday?
I'm open.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Jester wrote:I could offer a fairly comprehensive, well-organized real estate tour of Ensenada
People who are coming should let us know what they want to do. I think Ensenada is a full day trip. In Tijuana, you have the red-light district, a food market, and a middle class shopping mall to see how the middle class lives. Jester can explain what Ensenada offers. Those who stay longer can see both. But for Friday night to Sunday, one only has time for one, so we have to pick.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

fschmidt wrote:Okay so now I propose the weekend of July 19.
Why July? I thought we were gonna meet next week or the week after? I thought this was gonna be something soon.

After my road trip, I plan to leave the country asap. So I probably won't be around in July. Oh well.

Too bad we didn't plan this months ago.

Btw, we have a thread in the forum about parking at the border and walking across to Tijuana. Please read the responses to it from those familiar with it.

viewtopic.php?t=19613
Jester wrote: Winston please email or PM AIM (AmericanInMexico?), Mr Peabody, and RoyalDude in case they havent seen this thread. They all live in Mexico.

Also please email or PM any members in Vancouver, the airfare from there to Tijuana is approximately zero (double for roundtrip :wink:)
Ok I will PM them. But why do you say that a flight from Vancouver, Canada to Tijuana, Mexico costs zero? It does not.
Last edited by Winston on May 30th, 2014, 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
hornyabc
Freshman Poster

Post by hornyabc »

fschmidt wrote:
Jester wrote:I could offer a fairly comprehensive, well-organized real estate tour of Ensenada
People who are coming should let us know what they want to do. I think Ensenada is a full day trip. In Tijuana, you have the red-light district, a food market, and a middle class shopping mall to see how the middle class lives. Jester can explain what Ensenada offers. Those who stay longer can see both. But for Friday night to Sunday, one only has time for one, so we have to pick.
I'm a first timer to TJ and Mexico so I think I would be happy with just seeing TJ for now. Ensenada sounds great, but I agree I think I would save that for a future trip. The real estate does sound nice there, but I'm an Asian guy who speaks zero Spanish so that's probably out of the question for me. :)
hornyabc
Freshman Poster

Post by hornyabc »

Winston wrote:
fschmidt wrote:Okay so now I propose the weekend of July 19.
Why July? I thought we were gonna meet next week or the week after? I thought this was gonna be something soon.

After my road trip, I plan to leave the country asap. So I probably won't be around in July. Oh well.

Too bad we didn't plan this months ago.

Btw, we have a thread in the forum about parking at the border and walking across to Tijuana. Please read the responses to it from those familiar with it.

viewtopic.php?t=19613
I think next week would be too short notice, especially for those who have to arrange flights. Those of us who are driving distance might be able to do it, but it seems like a good number will have to fly, isn't that right?

Thanks for the link about the border parking! I still need to do my research on TJ before the trip!