Does federalism make sense any more?

Discuss issues related to politics, government and law.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Does federalism make sense any more?

Post by Cornfed »

I’m thinking of the US example, but does local autonomy really make sense in any Western country any more? I used to think a weak central government was desirable to prevent tyranny, but given that large swathes of the population are now shit and the majority of the population in many cities is the problem, maybe now it is desirable to have a strong central government that can ruthlessly crush them or, better yet, kill them.
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Re: Does federalism make sense any more?

Post by hypermak »

Cornfed wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 8:24 pm
I’m thinking of the US example, but does local autonomy really make sense in any Western country any more? I used to think a weak central government was desirable to prevent tyranny, but given that large swathes of the population are now shit and the majority of the population in many cities is the problem, maybe now it is desirable to have a strong central government that can ruthlessly crush them or, better yet, kill them.
The notion of country-states makes little sense now. Yes, peoples are still united or divided by culture, traditions and religion and that will never go away regardless of how large, or small, is the administrative unit of choice. Italy is a prime example: we have regions and provinces, yet people from cities a few miles apart still have rivalties and tensions that trace back to the middle age or Renaissance periods, where these cities used to be fully independent and at war with each other.

What should be fragmented, regulated and punished (severely) are the transnational power of large financial/industrial conglomerates and corporations. These are the new central powers that rule our lives, at a scale never seen before in human history.

These powers have too much influence over governments of major countries for any of them to do anything concrete about it. This is the way the cookie crumbles and it won't change any time soon, I am afraid.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

The thing to realize here in the US was in the mid 60's our #'s were starting to go down and that was when the country was like 190 mill so at that time the country was taking another route. The 1965 immigration act changed that and was done to change the make-up of the society and it has.
Last edited by Moretorque on August 7th, 2020, 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Time to Hide!
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

When Biden wins you will have your wish and the Leftist government will ruthlessly crush the people.

I prefer states' rights which allow me to move to the best state. My state, Texas, is now communist with religion shut down and most small businesses destroyed. So I will move to either Idaho or South Carolina which are not yet communist.