International bank accounts

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

International bank accounts

Post by Cornfed »

You seem to have online platforms like Revolut and TravelWise that allow you to bank from anywhere. When I next earn online income I want it to go into one of these. Does anyone have any experience with such services?
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: International bank accounts

Post by publicduende »

I have been using Wise (new name for TransferWise) with success for the past 2 years. It's a great all-round banking product: foreign currency payments can be made using the competitive exchange rate + low fees typical of TransferWise, plus there's the convenience of multi-currency accounts. I have been using GBP, EUR, USD and SGD seamlessly, no problem.

One of the (few) drawbacks is that, depending regulations on digital/agent banking in individual countries, traditional transfers into Wise use different banking entities depending on currency. For USD transfers from outside the US, Wise has partnered with a tiny, semi-obscure Community Federal Savings Bank, which in the past created delays with some of my clients. In the UK, Wise is registered as a digital bank called "Transferwise", and so on...

Another drawback is that, for transfers into a bank account in a currency different from the country's official currency, the SWIFT network is still used, which means the fees are slightly higher. A good case is payment in USD to a Philippine bank account.

All in all, I am very satisfied with Wise. I am using it as the only business account for my Singapore-registered company.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

publicduende wrote:
December 15th, 2021, 8:15 pm
I have been using Wise (new name for TransferWise) with success for the past 2 years. It's a great all-round banking product: foreign currency payments can be made using the competitive exchange rate + low fees typical of TransferWise, plus there's the convenience of multi-currency accounts. I have been using GBP, EUR, USD and SGD seamlessly, no problem.

One of the (few) drawbacks is that, depending regulations on digital/agent banking in individual countries, traditional transfers into Wise use different banking entities depending on currency. For USD transfers from outside the US, Wise has partnered with a tiny, semi-obscure Community Federal Savings Bank, which in the past created delays with some of my clients. In the UK, Wise is registered as a digital bank called "Transferwise", and so on...

Another drawback is that, for transfers into a bank account in a currency different from the country's official currency, the SWIFT network is still used, which means the fees are slightly higher. A good case is payment in USD to a Philippine bank account.

All in all, I am very satisfied with Wise. I am using it as the only business account for my Singapore-registered company.
Do you have any advice on how someone should start a successful business? How long did it take you to get clients? It it an online business or do you also have a physical office?
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
Gali
Junior Poster

Post by Gali »

publicduende wrote:
December 15th, 2021, 8:15 pm

I use Wise too. It works well.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Tsar wrote:
December 15th, 2021, 8:53 pm
Do you have any advice on how someone should start a successful business? How long did it take you to get clients? It it an online business or do you also have a physical office?
I made my fair share of fu**ups, so I am no position to give advice. It depends on your skill.

Learning to code seems to be a good investment these days, as there are literally tens of thousands of jobs requiring a relatively simple set of skills (Javascript/TypeScript, React/React Native and SQL) that can be picked up in less than a year of self training.

A physical office is the last thing you need...
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Excuse my ignorance, but is it possible for anyone to open an account and use Wise cards to make transactions in most countries?
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Cornfed wrote:
December 16th, 2021, 6:48 am
Excuse my ignorance, but is it possible for anyone to open an account and use Wise cards to make transactions in most countries?
No, and Mexico isn't a nation that they issue cards. I think you can open an account because you're a New Zealand citizen but I don't know if they will send your card to Mexico. They have a list of nationalities that they offer their services.

You might want to think about Revolut assuming they have less restrictions on getting a card.

Still, I heard you need Wise to fund your Revolut account easier than other methods of funding so it makes sense to have both, especially if you can't get a debit card with Wise.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑