Is it wiser & safer to store your money & assets in gold & silver?

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
I_PatriaTexefor_efl
Freshman Poster

Investing Abroad............

Post by I_PatriaTexefor_efl »

Jack wrote:Actually, I've been reading up on gold investing and it doesn't sound like such a bad idea. But, obviously there is some risk involved.

I_PatriaTexefor_efl, first off, I want to thank you for not resorting to childish name calling, that really displays your maturity.
Second, taxes? inflation? Who said anything about investing in US currency? Who said anything about being subject to US taxes? Who said anything about living in the US? And I only used the dollar as an example, obviously, the Euro or virtually anything else would be a much smarter investment than the failing dollar.

Anyway, about your attitude; you need to go back to 1st grade were you can learn respect for other people. You're not gonna draw me into that trap of name calling and shouting slander. You need to find something to do with your time, stop trolling on the internet. I'm not going to read or respond to anymore of your posts until you stop with the name calling (wow, now I sound like your first grade teacher), and hopefully you'll be banned within the next few days.
-Some guy who's better than you
Jack:

As I have said before, Gold has been a historical store of value for thousands of years. Hell, even an ounce of Gold can get you BOTH a good suit and a good meal. 8)

I have lived outside of the U.S. for nearly 11 years and have less than no desire at all to return. In fact, NONE of my funds are in the U.S.!! You make a fine point on the Incredible Shrinking Dollar, which just fell through the 1.4 level VS the Euro.

You could say I also know a thing or two about investing outside the U.S.A!

I_PatriaTexefor_efl
OJ Simpson got away with murder, but he couldn't outrun KARMA.................
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

I think Gold just went from $250 per oz to $730 in just 7 years. What else could do that?
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Is it wise to store your assets in gold bars?

Post by Winston »

I_PatriaTexefor_efl wrote:
WWu777 wrote:Is it wise to store your assets in gold bars?

Dear all,
My former wacko friend Stefan stored a great deal of his assets and wealth not in the bank nor in stocks, but in the form of gold bars. An extreme pessimist and doomsayer, he believed that the US economy was doomed to collapse as well as the value of the dollar, so he stores a great deal of his wealth in gold bars, which he claims maintains higher value and stronger stability than the dollar. As he says this, there is a glow on his face as though he’s found a secret formula that everyone else is too stupid to realize. Gold, he says, is the ultimate permanent stable form of money, which never loses its value.

Plus, he believes that the Federal government can steal the money in your bank anytime it wants to and that the safety of your bank balance was an illusion, whereas they can’t steal his gold bars, which he stores in some chests in a secret location that no one but him knows about. He says he put them in an area that is 100 percent impossible to find. (Though I think that with his weak will, anyone who captures him and tortures him like they do in the movies could easily extrapolate that information from him)

So I was wondering, is he right or wrong? And to what degree?

I asked a New York stockbroker friend about this who is very good in his trade, and he said that this reasoning was flawed, and that gold fluctuates just like the dollar does. The only time that gold yields a higher value, he maintains, is during recessionary periods.

What do you all think?
Mr.Wu:

First, your former 'wacko' friend Stefan AT LEAST has some money to put into gold bars. Do you often make it a point to engage in name calling, especially with someone who provided you air transport AND four months of free accommodation?? Calling your friend wacko is indeed funny coming from someone who has been diagnosed schizo AND has documented time in an institution.

You would be wise to check out some economic history, particularly with regards to the year 1933. At that time, then U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt declared a National Bank Holiday. In other words, he closed the nation's banks. People did not know when they would be able to retrieve their funds.

Gold has been used for thousands of years throughout the course of human history. Do you even KNOW the London Spot price for gold?? That price closed at $733.45 at the close of trade in London on September 20th, 2007.

Wu, I would heartily recommend you do more reading and by far less condemning and generalizing with regards to gold.

I_PatriaTexefor_efl
W: Patria, do you think I'm stupid? I can tell from your words WHO you are, STEFAN! Why do you need to hide behind another name? Weird.

He, or you, IS wacko. Look at the 9 wacky beliefs of his that I posted in this board, and tell me he's not wacky for saying those things that are so stupid that even children don't buy it.

Also, he spends hours ranting about politics and economics and world issues, yet 90 percent of his facts are wrong.

He is only good at one thing, his business, that's it. Yeah he has money, but a horrible personality. Every girl I've talked to here said they'd rather have a guy with a great personality yet poor, then rich but with a horrible personality. And they meant it too.

If I were a girl, same would go for me.

Also, even though he has a lot of money, Stefan has no ability to truly enjoy life. He's lived in Hawaii for 2 or 3 years and never once went to a beach or even went to Honolulu. He can't have any fun nor does he care. In that sense, he is like a sociopath. And a total party pooper as well. He doesn't even want to celebrate his own birthday and discourages others from celebrating their birthdays too, except for his fiancee when he was courting her with money and threw a big party for her. What a party pooper huh?

I don't deny that Stefan helped me, but he IS wacko without a doubt, and he ought to thank me for inspiring him to go to the Philippines, or else he'd never have met his fiancee.
Dr. Strangelove
Freshman Poster

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

W: Patria, do you think I'm stupid?
What, is that supposed to be a trick question? Or just plain old rhetoric? I think you're stupid, as well as disingenuous, abusive, using, dishonest, extremely self-absorbed (narcissistic), delusional, perverted, spoiled, cad, whoremonger, and unfit for any respectable girl or boy (last year you had a boyfriend, remember?) anywhere in the world.
Dr. Strangelove
Freshman Poster

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Also, even though he has a lot of money, Stefan has no ability to truly enjoy life. He's lived in Hawaii for 2 or 3 years and never once went to a beach or even went to Honolulu. He can't have any fun nor does he care. In that sense, he is like a sociopath. And a total party pooper as well. He doesn't even want to celebrate his own birthday and discourages others from celebrating their birthdays too, except for his fiancee when he was courting her with money and threw a big party for her. What a party pooper huh?
You f***ing little scumbag. This is what you say about one of the precious few people on this planet who actually befriended you -- or tried his best? You turn around and condemn him? After he finally saw who and what you are, even after he went against the common knowledge of dozens of people who have watched your crap and exploits for years? He TRIED to help you out, and he DID SO. Then you turn around, as was 100% predictable, and treat him like this? You, the same little piece of shit who laughed in the face of ALINA in Russia, a naive young girl who agreed to marry you, only to have you sneer at her and laugh at her pain when she saw you kissing yet another Russian whore?

You are a human maggot.
Jack
Freshman Poster

Post by Jack »

You f***ing little scumbag. This is what you say about one of the precious few people on this planet who actually befriended you -- or tried his best? You turn around and condemn him? After he finally saw who and what you are, even after he went against the common knowledge of dozens of people who have watched your crap and exploits for years? He TRIED to help you out, and he DID SO. Then you turn around, as was 100% predictable, and treat him like this? You, the same little piece of shit who laughed in the face of ALINA in Russia, a naive young girl who agreed to marry you, only to have you sneer at her and laugh at her pain when she saw you kissing yet another Russian whore?
I just don't understand how anyone could be defending Stefan(unless you are him). I don't know whether or not any of the stories I hear about him and Winston are true, because I wasn't there. The only thing I know for sure about Stefan, is what I've heard him say on this board. And all I've seen, is a foul mouthed baby who can't get along with another human being for two seconds. I've seen someone who joins a forum under multiple names to torment a bunch of people, most of which he doesn't even know.

Based on what I know about his character, I wouldn't blame anyone for condemning him.

Post by Guest »

I'd say that if someone is asking abt gold NOW, the ship has flown. The Big Boys have long ago made their move. Buying high & selling low - not so good. I'd recommend gold coins, like Canadian, or small denominations of gold bullion. About the only use I see for gold is if you want to turn your assets into something portable like to cross borders, for instance. After all, $1M worth of gold WILL fit in a breadbox, but weigh 90Lbs or so. Gold CANNOT be counterfeited because of the high specific gravity of 19 or so.

The drawback is that it is of limited value when everyone around you is subsistence living and hence has little use for gold.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

30 year gold price history chart:
http://goldprice.org/30-year-gold-price-history.html

30 year gold vs. silver history chart:
http://www.blanchardonline.com/beru/gol ... _75_06.php

Yes, precious metal prices do go up and down like stocks.

I believe in a well diversified portfolio. Your assets should be held in a mix of real estate, mutual funds (stock/bond funds), cash (including money market accounts), foreign currency deposits, and 1-2% of your assets in precious metals (gold preferred). If you're financially savvy you can invest in stocks and bonds directly. Or, you can hire a financial adviser to assist you on asset allocations.

I don't recommend keeping the majority of your savings in gold, but you should have a little bit (1%-2%) anyway. Just visit your local coin dealer and buy some Canadian Maple Leaf or American Eagle coins. If you cannot afford gold, you can start with silver.

You should also keep part of your cash reserve in foreign currency. Many banks such as HSBC offers foreign currency accounts. If you don't have enough $ to qualify for minimum deposit requirements, you can still go to your local currency exchange to purchase foreign currency and keep it in your safety deposit box.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

momopi wrote:You should also keep part of your cash reserve in foreign currency. Many banks such as HSBC offers foreign currency accounts. If you don't have enough $ to qualify for minimum deposit requirements, you can still go to your local currency exchange to purchase foreign currency and keep it in your safety deposit box.
I am really starting to see the value of this. When the film and video game industries started moving to Canada, I remember the US dollar was strong to the Canadian like 1 to 1.6 or something. Today they are pretty much an even 1 to 1.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
LukeSkywaIker
Freshman Poster

Post by LukeSkywaIker »

All paper assets are headed down the toilet. Name one (1) paper asset that has held its value (aside from novelty/antique value) for over 100 years? How much will a 1907 US dollar buy you now, even if it were still legal tender? That's right -- less than one-twentieth of what it would have bought in 1907.

Canadian dollar? British Pound? Same story. Deutschmark/French Franc/Dutch Guilder... whoops! They don't exist any more!

A share certificate for the East India Company?

Next, name me one (1) piece of gold that is not as valuable now as it was 5,000 years ago.

Point taken?

The only money over 100 years old that is still worth anything (the ONLY money) was minted in silver or gold. And so will it be 100 years from now.

Just because you can't afford anything of value Winston doesn't mean these things aren't good to own! When you do actually earn some money, by all means keep it in dollar bills and Google share certificates. Just don't expect them to be worth much to your grandchildren.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

I don't disagree that you should keep part of your assets in gold, but I don't think it should be the bulk of your holdings either.

Gold price has doubled (to the dollar) since 2000's, but if you had bought Google stock @ IPO for $100-$200/share in 2004, it's worth about $580/share today. You just need to be alert and sell when you should instead of "hold and pray".

Investments that generate interest will give you the power of compounding interest, while gold and other precious metals will not.

Another good investment, a favorite of mine, is real estate (RE). RE is one of very few areas where the bank is happy to give you hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans, for little or no collateral. With 5%-10% down payment you could finance 90%-95% of the purchase, rent the property out, and have your tenant pay your mortgage as you build your equity over 30 years. However now is beginning of RE down cycle and you should wait a few years before buying.

If you're conservative and am holding your savings in cash (CD/savings), there's nothing wrong with that either. When investor confidence is at lowest, it's when nobody wants to buy or bank is unwilling to make risky loans. This is when the stock or RE market is at bottom and cash is king, and that's also when you should start looking.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Questions about storing your money in gold:

1. What is the minimum price to buy a gold bar?

2. Who or where do you buy the gold bars from?

3. Would you have to store your gold bars at home in a vault or safety box underground? Or can you have the bank store your gold for you?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Gold is currently at over $1100 USD per oz.

What price range do you intend to invest in? You can buy anything from 1/20th oz gold coins to 400 oz gold bars. For small amounts, any local coin shop (the kind that sells collector's coins and gold/silver coins) will do.

If you put your gold in a bank safety deposit box, remember to leave a 3x5 card inside with your contact #, and specify "CALL THIS NUMBER IF YOU ARE SEIZING MY ASSETS, I AM STILL ALIVE" or something like that. You wouldn't believe the kind of stupid mistakes that have been made in the past where they seized "unclaimed" boxes from "dead" people and auctioned off the contents, only to find that the person is still alive and come hitting back with a lawsuit.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Well is it a good idea to store your money in gold, since the dollar may collapse?

What if we start using the Amero? What will become of the dollar then?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:Well is it a good idea to store your money in gold, since the dollar may collapse?

What if we start using the Amero? What will become of the dollar then?

There is no Amero, other than artistic designs seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8152235@N02/page2/

When enough sheeple buy gold high, the banks that held gold from low will start dumping on the market and make tons of money, then buy it back at low.