Stoicism: Ancient Greek & Roman Practical Self-Improvement Philosophy

Discuss personal development, self-improvement and motivational psychology.
Gali
Junior Poster

Re: Stoicism: Ancient Greek & Roman Practical Self-Improvement Philosophy

Post by Gali »

Gali wrote:
July 23rd, 2021, 3:18 am
What is a stoic person?
Being stoic is being calm and almost without any emotion. When you're stoic, you don't show what you're feeling and you also accept whatever is happening. The noun stoic is a person who's not very emotional. ... Someone yelling, crying, laughing, or glaring is not stoic.
Seems quite close to confucianism I guess.
The main concepts of this philosophy include Ru (humaneness), righteousness, propriety/etiquette, loyalty, and filial piety, along with strict adherence to social roles.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Gali wrote:
What is a stoic person?
Being stoic is being calm and almost without any emotion. When you're stoic, you don't show what you're feeling and you also accept whatever is happening. The noun stoic is a person who's not very emotional. ... Someone yelling, crying, laughing, or glaring is not stoic.
How so? Confucianism is about respecting hierarchy and authority and filial piety, and living for your family and parents, and not yourself. Stoicism is not about that, it's about enduring through the ups and downs of life by not taking things seriously and staying in the eye of the hurricane. They are not alike. Stoicism has some stuff in common with Buddhism though, but not Confucianism. See below.

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Gali
Junior Poster

Post by Gali »

Winston wrote:
July 23rd, 2021, 8:35 am
Gali wrote:
What is a stoic person?
How so? Confucianism is about respecting hierarchy and authority and filial piety, and living for your family and parents, and not yourself. Stoicism is not about that, it's about enduring through the ups and downs of life by not taking things seriously and staying in the eye of the hurricane. They are not alike. Stoicism has some stuff in common with Buddhism though, but not Confucianism. See below.

the Stoics, whose philosophy was formed not in the refuge of a garden but in the open market of the Athenian agora, this kind of retreat into a private morality made no sense. They felt that the fullness of virtue encompassed our social roles and duties and involved justice as more than a mere byproduct of some utilitarian social contract.
https://medium.com/stoicism-philosophy- ... dc124e8dc9
Gali
Junior Poster

Post by Gali »

The 4 Stoic Virtues - Stoic Quotes for Life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Xdk0lyRZ4