How to travel by boat?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the European Countries.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

How to travel by boat?

Post by Wolfeye »

I'm looking for specific how-tos & considerations for traveling by boat. Thinking of going on a cruise to get to Europe, but want to know about freighter travel as well. Any experience with that? I'm wondering ho to go about booking passage, paying for it, what types of stuff you do on board, and all the various bullshit you can run into. I remember hearing that paying in cash with planes can draw all kinds of attention from security (apparently, in America, so can living & breathing). Same with getting one-way tickets, carrying light luggage, and sometimes making stops along the way to somewhere instead of a direct flight. I know there's lots of legal loopholes with these things, like not getting on the plane or just going back where you just came from & I presume there's similar things with boats, but I would like some "street smarts" about the subject- especially since I might be traveling with my relatives or they might want to come visit at some point. Maybe they'll even feel like moving! It'd be nice to have some people I knew over there & I figure they'd feel the same if they were to pick up & go.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

I don't know anything about cruises because all the cruises I`m only cognizant of were the ones full of sassy feministing Black American and Black Carribean/Americanized women
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: How to travel by boat?

Post by Jester »

Wolfeye wrote:
I'm looking for specific how-tos & considerations for traveling by boat. Thinking of going on a cruise to get to Europe, but want to know about freighter travel as well. Any experience with that? I'm wondering ho to go about booking passage, paying for it, what types of stuff you do on board, and all the various bullshit you can run into. I remember hearing that paying in cash with planes can draw all kinds of attention from security (apparently, in America, so can living & breathing). Same with getting one-way tickets, carrying light luggage, and sometimes making stops along the way to somewhere instead of a direct flight. I know there's lots of legal loopholes with these things, like not getting on the plane or just going back where you just came from & I presume there's similar things with boats, but I would like some "street smarts" about the subject- especially since I might be traveling with my relatives or they might want to come visit at some point. Maybe they'll even feel like moving! It'd be nice to have some people I knew over there & I figure they'd feel the same if they were to pick up & go.
Freighter travel sounds interesting. Probably costs more than cruise though.

Maersk is a big Danish line, I imagine crews speak English. Don't know which lines take passengers.

Also instead of sailing from the US, you might try getting up to Greenland. From there I would think there should be some boats to and from Denmark, or you might stop in Iceland. If you need to pay cash that might be one way to find a smaller ship where you could make friends with the captain.

Another angle, a long shot, might be to nose around the Cape Verdean immigrants in Massachusetts. If you got yourself to Cape Verde, you could certainly get yourself to Portugal from there.

Please keep us posted. Sounds like a great experience.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Good ideas, Jester.
hammanta
Junior Poster

Post by hammanta »

I have no experience with it but I've heard freight liners can be a pretty sweet way of traveling, though can be just as expensive if not more than airline fairs. But the price generally covers food, bed, and the ability to tour ship and mingle with the crew. I'm sure it has its negatives but is probably a hell of an experience. Also ships travel all around the world. I would just try and contact the company and see if they have any tickets available.
In2dadark
Freshman Poster

Post by In2dadark »

In the search, scroll to transatlantic & repositioning, 10 plus days, any months & your choice of port. I'm not far from Ft. Lauderdale. This is an option I'm seriously considering.... I f***ing hate flying.

http://www.cruisedeals.com/
hoangnguyetnga
Freshman Poster

Post by hoangnguyetnga »

the most morally pure and best marriage material available in America today? If so, are they an option for men who can't go abroad? Of course, you'd probably have to convert to Mormonism in order to date one.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Wolfeye wrote:
I'm looking for specific how-tos & considerations for traveling by boat. Thinking of going on a cruise to get to Europe, but want to know about freighter travel as well.
Since you are interested in Russia, why not find out what ports Russian and Ukrainian and Polish freighters call at?
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Thinking of it. More & more, I figure it's a good idea to get near Russia. Maybe geopgraphically, but certainly I don't want to be landing in a country that's bolstering America's bullshit (or starting their own with Russia).
William77
Freshman Poster

Post by William77 »

It's better to travel by plane)
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

I disagree. If a plane where to crash for whatever reason, it's harder to survive. If a boat sinks, it does so more or less gradually in water that can be swum in & more than likely there'll be floatation devices that would actually be useful on the open sea (I doubt a plane seat could easily keep someone afloat in the ocean, as inflatable chairs are tricky even in a swimming pool).

Also, there's no (or massively less) chance of getting locked-up for using the bathroom at any point (they like to play games with what's declared an "active runway" & what reality of moving conditions actually are).

To be perfectly honest, I think I'd find it a less stressful environment simply because there seems to be less paranoia with water travel as opposed to flight. The way things are in America now, I don't know how convenient I'd find it. Besides, I can probably go to a bunch of different places in the course of traveling instead of just going from A to B.
falcon garson
Freshman Poster

Re:

Post by falcon garson »

hammanta wrote:I have no experience with it but I've heard freight liners can be a pretty sweet way of traveling, though can be just as expensive if not more than airline fairs. But the price generally covers food, bed, and the ability to tour ship and mingle with the crew. I'm sure it has its negatives but is probably a hell of an experience. Also ships travel all around the world. I would just try and contact the company and see if they have any tickets available.
hammanta! I just say you should try this and definitely you will have fun and enjoy a lot because boat is a cool mean of transportation. If your partner is with you then the travel experience become memorable.
EmilyWilliamson
Freshman Poster

Post by EmilyWilliamson »

There are five ways you can travel by boat
  • You can take Cruise
    What about Sailing?
    Kayaking is the best option
    The ferry is not bad option to travel
    But Personally, I like Houseboat
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

EmilyWilliamson: How do you do the houseboat? I heard about a type that sails called the "Quidnon," but I don't know if it's something fully figured-out or not.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

I traveled by cruise ship from Estonia to Finland last summer. It was actually one of the coolest, most relaxing modes of travel EVER.