A guy on our Facebook group wants me to move to Taiwan

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

A guy on our Facebook group wants me to move to Taiwan

Post by MattHanson1990 »

One of the members on the Facebook had a conversation with me via Messegnger about the problems in America. He did mention to me that the job market favored women even in the 90s when America saw better economic times. But I'm ranting because he wants me move to Taiwan just so I can make a lot of money. Taiwan isn't a fun and open country to go to in the first place because it's a carbon copy of the U.S., except it has universal healthcare, extensive public transportation, lower CoL, and nowhere near the obesity rate. But other than that, the social culture in Taiwan is extremely closed and cliquish, and Taiwanese women are stuck-up, cold-hearted, and unapproachable. And their ideal men are only either Asian pop stars or white foreigners, just like AW either only want the top 10 percent of men, guys with a bad boy image, or guys from the UK or Australia. Additionally, you'd have to act fake and plastic in order to fit in with Taiwanese culture, and Taiwanese people also live to work. One of the guys on the Facebook group is convincing me to move to Taiwan instead of Mexico/Latin America because I would make more money in Taiwan. Sheesh. He's telling me to have making money be highest desire. He also tells me Taiwan is fun, but it's because he has a live to work mentality. My highest desire is dating women, not making a lot of money.
Signet
Freshman Poster

Re: One guy on the Facebook group wants me to move to Taiwan

Post by Signet »

Have you ever been to Taiwan?

Do you have an actionable plan for how to escape the U.S. as is?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Signet raises good points.

FIRST thing is to get OUT of the AngloZone.

If LA or somewhere else works, then fine.

But any port in a storm.

I'm not saying that it's SHTF time in the USSA (it might be, though). No, I'm saying that loneliness is the "storm". And if only friends in Taiwan were a few outliers, fellow EFL teachers, Winston types, etc, at least that is a start.

Thats about where I am in Mexico and believe me I have no regrets about leaving the USSA.

It's like being alone on a dark road, driving in the rain, and you're lost. Then you slide into a muddy patch on the shoulder. The wheels start spinning as you step on the gas. You are stuck. You start thinking of how to put a plank under one of the wheels and get out of the rut. But you say to yourself, no, wait, even if I get out of the mud, I will still be lost, and won't know which way to go.

Which is technically true.

But it's still better to get out of the rut.

Once you do that, figuring out which way to go will be easier.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

MattHanson1990 wrote:One of the members on the Facebook had a conversation with me via Messegnger about the problems in America. He did mention to me that the job market favored women even in the 90s when America saw better economic times. But I'm ranting because he wants me move to Taiwan just so I can make a lot of money. Taiwan isn't a fun and open country to go to in the first place because it's a carbon copy of the U.S., except it has universal healthcare, extensive public transportation, lower CoL, and nowhere near the obesity rate. But other than that, the social culture in Taiwan is extremely closed and cliquish, and Taiwanese women are stuck-up, cold-hearted, and unapproachable. And their ideal men are only either Asian pop stars or white foreigners, just like AW either only want the top 10 percent of men, guys with a bad boy image, or guys from the UK or Australia. Additionally, you'd have to act fake and plastic in order to fit in with Taiwanese culture, and Taiwanese people also live to work. One of the guys on the Facebook group is convincing me to move to Taiwan instead of Mexico/Latin America because I would make more money in Taiwan. Sheesh. He's telling me to have making money be highest desire. He also tells me Taiwan is fun, but it's because he has a live to work mentality. My highest desire is dating women, not making a lot of money.
But those differences you mentioned are big positives. Taipei is very safe too. IMO, living in Taiwan is nothing like living in USA and I've lived in both.

Wherever you go, you ARE going to need money or your life will suck. Your dating life will be very limited too unless perhaps you go to certain places and position yourself as a gigolo to wealthier older women (assuming you have what it takes to pull that off). I would imagine US$1,000 per month is the bare minimum in the cheapest places and will not cut it in so much of the world. US$2,000 is more like it and US$3,000 could be decent. Again depends a lot on where you decide to stay.

Taiwan could be a good base to work say 5-7 months a year to accumulate savings then break for rest of year in SE Asian country or even China to enjoy life. In English teaching space, I think Taiwan is more flexible with shorter term opportunities than S. Korea or Japan. Not sure how China stacks up but there's more scam risk there (bad schools) I've heard.
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Post by MattHanson1990 »

Rock wrote:
MattHanson1990 wrote:One of the members on the Facebook had a conversation with me via Messegnger about the problems in America. He did mention to me that the job market favored women even in the 90s when America saw better economic times. But I'm ranting because he wants me move to Taiwan just so I can make a lot of money. Taiwan isn't a fun and open country to go to in the first place because it's a carbon copy of the U.S., except it has universal healthcare, extensive public transportation, lower CoL, and nowhere near the obesity rate. But other than that, the social culture in Taiwan is extremely closed and cliquish, and Taiwanese women are stuck-up, cold-hearted, and unapproachable. And their ideal men are only either Asian pop stars or white foreigners, just like AW either only want the top 10 percent of men, guys with a bad boy image, or guys from the UK or Australia. Additionally, you'd have to act fake and plastic in order to fit in with Taiwanese culture, and Taiwanese people also live to work. One of the guys on the Facebook group is convincing me to move to Taiwan instead of Mexico/Latin America because I would make more money in Taiwan. Sheesh. He's telling me to have making money be highest desire. He also tells me Taiwan is fun, but it's because he has a live to work mentality. My highest desire is dating women, not making a lot of money.
But those differences you mentioned are big positives. Taipei is very safe too. IMO, living in Taiwan is nothing like living in USA and I've lived in both.

Wherever you go, you ARE going to need money or your life will suck. Your dating life will be very limited too unless perhaps you go to certain places and position yourself as a gigolo to wealthier older women (assuming you have what it takes to pull that off). I would imagine US$1,000 per month is the bare minimum in the cheapest places and will not cut it in so much of the world. US$2,000 is more like it and US$3,000 could be decent. Again depends a lot on where you decide to stay.

Taiwan could be a good base to work say 5-7 months a year to accumulate savings then break for rest of year in SE Asian country or even China to enjoy life. In English teaching space, I think Taiwan is more flexible with shorter term opportunities than S. Korea or Japan. Not sure how China stacks up but there's more scam risk there (bad schools) I've heard.
I understand about the money situation. But I had been struggling until now because the US job market is a joke, and there are no jobs in Los Alamos. The only options I have are worship accompanist and film composer. I've been striking out applying to service jobs, the result being either being a rejection letter or no response; I did not get even one interview. However, another guy is going to help me get a job teaching English in Latin America. Also regarding the cost of living, apartments in Cd Juarez cost around $100 USD per month.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: A guy on our Facebook group wants me to move to Taiwan

Post by Winston »

Rock,
Can anyone just show up in Taiwan and become an English teacher? Besides the prerequisites, doesn't that kind of job only fit certain personality types, such as those who do well in public speaking and are comfortable in front of a group? Most people may not be good at that. What do you think?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne