Should we move HA back to Godaddy webhosting?

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
Winston
Site Admin

Should we move HA back to Godaddy webhosting?

Post by Winston »

Should we migrate off Bluehost? Since migrating to Bluehost, our Alexa ranking and Google ranking seem to have dropped. It was far higher on Godaddy. Yet Bluehost is ranked better than Godaddy. Go figure. I don't know if the webhost or VPS had anything to do with it. As my friend Alex said, "correlation is not always proof of causation".

Which webhost do you all like best? What do you all think of this webhost?

https://www.knownhost.com/

They have a good reputation and have managed hosting so you don't need to maintain your VPS. However, I was thinking of moving back to shared hosting, since VPS seems unnecessary and is only extra cost and trouble. Shared hosting nowadays can handle a lot of traffic, more than what we get, so it should be sufficient and plus I won't have to manage the server or try to figure it out.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Should we move HA back to Godaddy webhosting?

Post by Winston »

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
StanfordGuy
Freshman Poster

Post by StanfordGuy »

:idea:
Last edited by StanfordGuy on May 30th, 2020, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Which webhost do you recommend PAG? Which one do you use?

Well shared hosting nowadays has pro version or prime version which can handle a lot of traffic. And costs much less too. So i feel I'm wasting money on VPS which cost 50 bucks a month since i had to upgrade the RAM and CPU to prevent any further crashes and overloads. There seems to be no benefit to VPS. When i was on GoDaddy shared hosting i was doing fine. Plus GoDaddy seems to have faster servers if you test them on pingdome.

Yeah i heard Bluehost went bad when they got owned by EIG. I got deceived by Bluehost when i saw their commercials on YouTube. They made it sound like they were the most amazing thing and ahead of the curve and super committed to quality and that they designed their own servers so they know everything about it. Etc.

You also said long ago that VPS sucks remember? Now you're saying its ok?

Bluehost customer service is ok. But the support staff dont know a lot of things and their server and cpanel has bugs. And they always pass the blame just like phpbb developers do. They always blame phpbb every time something goes wrong with the forum and phpbb developers always blame Bluehost. So i get tossed around like a ping pong ball. I hate that.

Is it better to move back to GoDaddy shared hosting or to Bluehost shared hosting? Both have good features and can handle a lot of traffic they told me. But GoDaddy seems to have faster servers.

StanfordGuy
Freshman Poster

Post by StanfordGuy »

8)
Last edited by StanfordGuy on May 30th, 2020, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Wow your webhost has a good deal PAG. Their VPS managed hosting is a lot cheaper than Bluehost. How are they able to outprice Bluehost? I thought Bluehost was the leader, how can smaller webhosts have better deals?

What is a faceted search?

Does your webhost have a service where a professional will move an entire website over for a fee?

StanfordGuy
Freshman Poster

Post by StanfordGuy »

Easy, lower overhead. You don't have to pay some CEO/management $2 million a year!

You'll see on the new happierabroad :)

I believe it's free
TruthSeeker
Junior Poster

Post by TruthSeeker »

Winston wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 7:14 pm
Does your webhost have a service where a professional will move an entire website over for a fee?
Why wouldn't you just do it yourself? Why would you want someone to do it for you?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

TruthSeeker wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 7:55 am
Winston wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 7:14 pm
Why wouldn't you just do it yourself? Why would you want someone to do it for you?
Because it's a lot of trouble. Especially the database. Exporting big databases often results in crashes and time outs. Also I don't know how to move email inboxes from one account to another webhost. That is way too complicated and not user friendly at all.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

StanfordGuy wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 6:32 pm
Easy, lower overhead. You don't have to pay some CEO/management $2 million a year!

You'll see on the new happierabroad :)

I believe it's free
How do they get any customers without any advertising budget? They're not gonna move my website for free. Come on. Where on their site does it say they will move your site for free?

What kind of new HA site are you building? How will it be any different than this one? What will it offer? More of your guided tours and romance tours by random people with no track record? lol

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

PAG, the shared hosting plans for your webhost seem good too right?

https://www.ethernetservers.com/shared-hosting
50 GB NVMe SSD Disk Space
Unlimited Unique Websites
Unlimited Premium Bandwidth
3 GB Dedicated RAM
Unlimited MySQL Databases
Unlimited Email Accounts
FREE Website Builder
FREE SSL Certificates
FREE Daily Backups (via JetBackup)
FREE Jailed SSH Access
FREE LiteSpeed w/ LS Cache
7 Worldwide Server Locations
Isn't that enough?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Someone in the shoutbox said we could move to this UK server. What do you think? How come it's so much cheaper than Bluehost? What's the catch? Why don't all Bluehost customers just move to cheaper servers then?

https://royalwebhosting.net/

https://royalwebhosting.net/paid-web-hosting.html

Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

The present situation is terrible, no stable connection/response at all. It is similar to a computer which is almost running out of disk space.

I don't think, it is because of the provider. Before moving to another provider you should maybe try to free up more space.

There are a lot of old data nobody is using anymore. Maybe delete or move them to somewhere else if you really want to keep them as a backup. I would say, everything - comments, profiles without activity etc. up to 2010 - all which is older than 2011 should be removed.

Whatever you want to do - just do something. It cannot continue like as it is now.

My suggestion is clean up this forum, for example there are countless not active member-profiles, more than 2000 of them and many of them are very old or sockpuppets etc., with 0 comments - delete them.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

Yohan wrote:
March 5th, 2024, 8:00 pm
The present situation is terrible, no stable connection/response at all. It is similar to a computer which is almost running out of disk space.

I don't think, it is because of the provider. Before moving to another provider you should maybe try to free up more space.

There are a lot of old data nobody is using anymore. Maybe delete or move them to somewhere else if you really want to keep them as a backup. I would say, everything - comments, profiles without activity etc. up to 2010 - all which is older than 2011 should be removed.

Whatever you want to do - just do something. It cannot continue like as it is now.

My suggestion is clean up this forum, for example there are countless not active profiles, very old, with 0 comments - delete them.
100% agree with Yohan. Happierabroad has a god awful connectivity problem here. It has been really frustrating couple of days using this website as every time I post something, attempt to log in, attempt to navigate this website, the connection times out and doesn't let me connect. I had to refresh many times or go to an another website on a new side tab of my browser and let happierabroad load while surfing a different website. Unstable websites can also turn away new comers and dedicated fans too.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

@Natural_Born_Cynic

I fully agree with your observation. Same here in Japan, and I think you are now somewhere in USA, right?

I have an optical fiber-line router, very fast, and using LAN-cable to my tower-computerfrom my router (not using i-Pad WiFi etc.)

The problem is clearly not because of internet or because of my computer/hardware/software, other websites in general are responding quickly from worldwide, I am from Europe and can connect to internet banking, news agencies, etc. or video/TV via internet - no problems at all.

It's only this HappierAbroad Forum and I also think, the problem is with this HA forum-setup, something is wrong there - it cannot be the provider itself, otherwise there would be complaints from other customers too and they would react to that and try to improve it.

I also noticed that some members who are living in countries with slow internet do not login anymore (Philippines)
How can they connect?

-------------------

Where to start to repair/renew the data base of HappierAbroad? What would I try to do?

Remove useless data first - all comments etc. which are older and not active up to 2010, and remove ALL profiles with 0 comments.
Also check out all these ads coming up or not, maybe some are hanging as outdated and no response from another server etc.

Further check if there are updates of this HA-software and install them and after reboot see if there is a difference.

@Winston
Please, just do something, and do it soon.
It cannot continue as it is now....
Last edited by Yohan on March 6th, 2024, 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.