Why is YouTube Losing Money?

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
Winston
Site Admin

Why is YouTube Losing Money?

Post by Winston »

Video description:

"YouTube made $240 million in 2009, from just the 10% of its partner chanhttp://www.happierabroad.com/forum/posting.php ... _titlenels that carry advertising -- and its yearly costs of operation are just over $700 million. This means that just 10% of its members bring in OVER A THIRD of its operating costs. Think of how much more YouTube would likely make if the OTHER 90% of its channels were allowed to carry advertising, too.

...But that's precisely the problem. Apparently, advertisers find too many videos on that remaining 90% of YouTube's channels to be too unsavory for their tastes, and for them to attach their advertising to -- EVEN when those other videos receive an astronomical number of views.

If YouTube put advertising on ALL its videos -- savory or not -- could it likely operate in the black and STILL be a fair and open forum? I think so. But first YouTube has to want to remain a fair and open forum badly enough.

...Perhaps it doesn't."

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Delstrom
Freshman Poster

Post by Delstrom »

Today almost all videos in Youtube have ads, and it irritates. I won't be surprised if the number f visitors will be reduced.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Delstrom wrote:Today almost all videos in Youtube have ads, and it irritates. I won't be surprised if the number f visitors will be reduced.
Ever since Google took over, YouTube has never been the same! I miss the old YouTube!
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

If anyone lives in SF/SJ area in Northern CA, Youtube has a lot of openings right now:
http://www.google.com/intl/en/jobs/youtube/