SOLIS portable wifi and TotalAV

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

SOLIS portable wifi and TotalAV

Post by ladislav »

I have one of these thingies:

Costs some $50-60

I like it. If you use it in the USA, unlimited is $49.95 a month.

Outside of the USA, it is $99 a month. Pretty solid. Carry it with you everywhere.

Or you can buy by GB, I think it's $3 per Gig+. One day [ass is $9.

Some downsides: it does not always switch automatically when you go to another country. You then need to email their customer service. They respond immediately, but it's still a pain.

The unlimited per month is unlimited, but it still has 20GB per month speed data. Then, it slows down a lot. I got around it and bought a subscription to TotalAV. They have an ad block. It does in fact blocks all ad and malware/trackers. Now, the speeds are super the whole month.

TotalAV is $29 a year, but then they started saying that he ad block part was a trial and kept asking me to pay another $29 to make it permanent. I ignored it, and it turned itself on again. Weird
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Re: SOLIS portable wifi and TotalAV

Post by Shemp »

ATT gives me 15GB/month in the USA for $40/month.
Vodafone in Ukraine is like 8GB/month for $5/month. There is also a cheap unlimited option, but I don't even use 8GB since my airbnb usually has wifi.
Elsewhere, maybe $20/month for 8GB, which I don't use entirely because hotels have wifi.
All these services are prepaid, so pay nothing when not in the country.
Numbers stay valid for a year since last added money to the account, so in case I want to keep a SIM active, just add money once a year.
Google Voice gives a permanent USA number for free.