Is reading and learning overrated?

Discuss deep philosophical topics and questions.
Boner_Jones
Freshman Poster

Is reading and learning overrated?

Post by Boner_Jones »

I remember all those 'read' posters from school... it was read read read... all the smart kids i knew read a lot... they were articulate.. and I wanted to be like that.

So I started to read a lot too, even tho I really didn't like reading too much.... but I wanted to be a better thinker and speaker...

Now... after reading so many books I don't feel very satisfied... Its like i'm a vessel... filling myself up with words and knowledge.. but it never gets filled up.. and I don't feel much smarter or more articulate... just empty and unsure whether it made a difference or not... it's like overeating or anything else you do too much...

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

designer
Freshman Poster

Re: Is reading and learning overrated?

Post by designer »

Boner_Jones wrote:I remember all those 'read' posters from school... it was read read read... all the smart kids i knew read a lot... they were articulate.. and I wanted to be like that.

So I started to read a lot too, even tho I really didn't like reading too much.... but I wanted to be a better thinker and speaker...

Now... after reading so many books I don't feel very satisfied... Its like i'm a vessel... filling myself up with words and knowledge.. but it never gets filled up.. and I don't feel much smarter or more articulate... just empty and unsure whether it made a difference or not... it's like overeating or anything else you do too much...
Depends on what you read. Beware of 'Pop' books.. These are the low brow books often found in places like booksamillion and other corporate book shops. Try reading some political books like Chris Hedges. That may inspire some thinking.
Boner_Jones
Freshman Poster

Post by Boner_Jones »

I don't read low brow books... but maybe I should. Ive read history, philosophy, biography.... I'm saying even serious books dont satisfy me... like after reading a history book, i don't remember anything I've read.. its like i didn't even read it at all. What good is thinking and learning if you're still not fulfilled? Sometimes I wish I were a just riverboat man.
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Post by Teal Lantern »

Boner_Jones wrote:I remember all those 'read' posters from school... it was read read read... all the smart kids i knew read a lot... they were articulate.. and I wanted to be like that.

It's not really satisfying unless you enjoy it for its own sake or talk about it with other well-read people.
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
polya
Junior Poster

Post by polya »

It sure is & almost all these college students are going to regret these big loans to get a useless degree in History or Womens Studies...
Last edited by polya on September 17th, 2012, 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder
Boner_Jones
Freshman Poster

Post by Boner_Jones »

"Sometimes I wish I were a just riverboat man"

btw did anyone get the reference about the riverboat man? It's from 'Siddhartha' by Hermann Hesse...
"There was a man who was my predecessor and teacher. He was a man who for many years believed only in the river and nothing else. He noticed that the river's voice spoke to him. He learned from it; it educated and taught him. The river seemed like a god to him and for many years he did not know that every wind, every cloud, every bird, every beetle is equally divine and knows and can teach just as well as the esteemed river. But when this holy man went off into the woods, he knew everything; he knew more than you or I, without teachers, without books, just because he believed in the river."
designer
Freshman Poster

Post by designer »

Boner_Jones wrote:I don't read low brow books... but maybe I should. Ive read history, philosophy, biography.... I'm saying even serious books dont satisfy me... like after reading a history book, i don't remember anything I've read.. its like i didn't even read it at all. What good is thinking and learning if you're still not fulfilled? Sometimes I wish I were a just riverboat man.
I didn't say that you read low brow books. I was simply making a general comment. Personally I could careless about what you read or don't read. That is all I have to say on this stupid topic.
Boner_Jones
Freshman Poster

Post by Boner_Jones »

Siddharta even rejects the Buddha....becasuse one must find wisdom through explorring, not through teaching...
"I can love a stone and a tree or a piece of bark. These are things and one can love things. But one cannot love words. Therefore teachings are of no use to me; they have no hardness, no softness, nor colors, no corners, no smell, no taste - they have nothing but words. Perhaps that is what prevents you from finding peace, perhaps there are too many words, for even salvation and virtue."
ringspun
Freshman Poster

Post by ringspun »

Yes and no, personally I only read now what I feel benefits me in spiritual and business ways, and occasionally an autobiography of a successful person which I find motivates me
ben dover
Freshman Poster

Post by ben dover »

Good question Boner. I think wise men realise that the more they learn the less they know and this can sometimes be depressing and make you feel like an empty vessel as you say. It's part of the human condition. There is so very much that we don't know even about the human body. But knowledge allows you to discuss a variety of things with a variety of people. It makes you an interesting man. An interesting man attracts interesting people around him.
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

What westerners are taught in school is to waste their time reading and learning with texts that are worthless...

The emptiness many can feel is based on their inability to truly learn. The only reason you need to "learn" anything is to further progress in your goals. You accomplish these goals by reading up on how do something, writing up plans etc.

In many cases, doing so can make a man very knowledgeable.
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

it´s just a survival skill. in our modern age you can have huge benefits from reading. you can plan for example to move to other countries and get the knowledge how to do it.

the riverboat man for hesse will not have a good lifestyle when he is working in haiti. in this case he should get the f**k out of that shithole.

of course sometimes it´s too much reading. than you have to make a break. anyway i am always reminded of the citation of will smith that running and readin are the most important thing. so maybe you should also do some running.

i personally would recommend to experiment. the things is that feelings are our fuel. so we should always think about generate feelings. that is the goal of art. so try to generate feeling combined with knowlegde you can strive for valuable goals.

music, sports, movements are typical helpful deliverers of feelings. look at obama this guy is the president but the first thing he does after getting out of bed is doing sport.

this guy is plaing basketball with mouth protection and does paperwork while sport is running on tv. why? because sport creates feelings which make life more pleasant
Boner_Jones
Freshman Poster

Post by Boner_Jones »

"i personally would recommend to experiment. the things is that feelings are our fuel. so we should always think about generate feelings. that is the goal of art. so try to generate feeling combined with knowlegde you can strive for valuable goals. "

I talked about this in another thread... but nobody commented. How you feel determines motivation.. and purpose... and will. And therefore your action...

I guess I feel real shitty these days... so i guess thats why reading hasn't made me smart or happy. Maybe the answer was always physical activity... who cares about being smart and articulate when you can generate good feelings and be happy
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

boner yes you are probably right. our body is the answer. we are nothing withou our bodies.

look even monkeys are more happy than men. so what´s the point of being veeery educated. let´s just be little smart.