Income Inequality and Myth of the American Dream

Discuss news and current events around the world.
Winston
Site Admin

Income Inequality and Myth of the American Dream

Post by Winston »

Income Inequality is America’s Biggest Challenge: United Nations Economist
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ti ... 28171.html

The ‘American Dream’ Is a Myth: Joseph Stiglitz on ‘The Price of Inequality’
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ti ... 38674.html
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
TRADER1972
Freshman Poster

Post by TRADER1972 »

Yeah, they have slowly been killing the middles class. Soon the US will be like the Philippines, wealth controlled by a few, almost no middle class and everyone else poor. Except we will be worse off because our justice system is worse and society is more screwed up.
I would rather make $2000 a month working for myself, then $4000 a month working for a bitch.
mattyman
Junior Poster

Post by mattyman »

I describe the USA as the worlds wealthiest third-world country.

Think about it.

No universal health care; as if they can't afford it. I'm sorry, if America wants to be classed as 'developed' this in my book is one of the most basic criteria you must satisfy. Not acceptable.

Rampant corruption

An oligarchy, rampant corruption, the law is seriously the best money can buy, poor bugger don't have the means to afford a good lawyer.

Tent cities; people starving, squalid conditions in the storm drains of LAs Vegas, within hundreds of meters of of the gambling of millions of dollars; people in poverty, under threat of flooding. Detroit in ruin.

Collapsing infrastructure, transformers exploding, whole segments of cities crumbling, cracked roadways, what you expect to find in a nigger land. All because short-term money-making takes priority over long-term considerations.

Privatising everything; a sign that a government is shirking responsibility badly, anserable to their stake-holders and future employers, not the people.

Long working hours; no workers rights; Employers own the workers, absolute power, no trade unions setting the price of labour, similar to the early industrial period in Britain (think about Charles Dickens London). Cheap migrant labour, cause the employers (crooks), know they can get away with it.

Crime, drug gangs.

Law is on the side of the rich.

Lack of public transport in many areas; not as if they can't afford it.

Police brutality (and possible corruption, wouldn't surprise me).

Last but not least, the concentration of wealth; there is no other country I know of that calls itself 'developed' that has such a revolting gap between low-income and high-income, rich and poor, haves and have-nots. In my book, those levels of inequality alone brand it third-world.

What a joke (not the funniest by any means).

The saving grace for a lot of current third-world countries is they still have community connections, are yet to be, or are in the process of being polluted by individualism and selfishness.

Now, imagine a country with the disadvantages of third-world countries, combined with the extreme individualism, materialism, lack of empathy between people as well as coldness and suspicion and unfriendliness. That, I think is fair to say, is my idea of HELL ON EARTH. Worse than any currently-existing third-world country.

Over-run by right-wing nutters obsessed with free-market ideology.

Still, I admire the attitude of the Mayor of Chicago. Hope he lives up to what he preaches.
onezero4u
Freshman Poster

Post by onezero4u »

MATTYMAN:
"Over-run by right-wing nutters obsessed with free-market ideology."

free market has generated more wealth than any other system EVER...and even raised the standard of living in the poor class as well. ie compare "poor americans" to poor cubans, north koreans etc...haha no comparison...

Still, I admire the attitude of the Mayor of Chicago. Hope he lives up to what he preaches."

the chicago mayor is a f***ing cocksucker...political machine gangster...a mini tyrant lording over his retarded democrat voting flock.

shit dude...the truth is: freedom is GOOD...choices and competition are GOOD. govt controlled ponzi schemes are BAD
marriage is a 3 ring circus: engagement ring, wedding ring and then suffering.
TRADER1972
Freshman Poster

Post by TRADER1972 »

mattyman wrote:I describe the USA as the worlds wealthiest third-world country.
One of the best lines ever on HA!
I would rather make $2000 a month working for myself, then $4000 a month working for a bitch.
TRADER1972
Freshman Poster

Post by TRADER1972 »

mattyman wrote:I describe the USA as the worlds wealthiest third-world country.

Think about it.

No universal health care; as if they can't afford it. I'm sorry, if America wants to be classed as 'developed' this in my book is one of the most basic criteria you must satisfy. Not acceptable.

Rampant corruption

An oligarchy, rampant corruption, the law is seriously the best money can buy, poor bugger don't have the means to afford a good lawyer.

Tent cities; people starving, squalid conditions in the storm drains of LAs Vegas, within hundreds of meters of of the gambling of millions of dollars; people in poverty, under threat of flooding. Detroit in ruin.

Collapsing infrastructure, transformers exploding, whole segments of cities crumbling, cracked roadways, what you expect to find in a nigger land. All because short-term money-making takes priority over long-term considerations.

Privatising everything; a sign that a government is shirking responsibility badly, anserable to their stake-holders and future employers, not the people.

Long working hours; no workers rights; Employers own the workers, absolute power, no trade unions setting the price of labour, similar to the early industrial period in Britain (think about Charles Dickens London). Cheap migrant labour, cause the employers (crooks), know they can get away with it.

Crime, drug gangs.

Law is on the side of the rich.

Lack of public transport in many areas; not as if they can't afford it.

Police brutality (and possible corruption, wouldn't surprise me).

Last but not least, the concentration of wealth; there is no other country I know of that calls itself 'developed' that has such a revolting gap between low-income and high-income, rich and poor, haves and have-nots. In my book, those levels of inequality alone brand it third-world.

What a joke (not the funniest by any means).

The saving grace for a lot of current third-world countries is they still have community connections, are yet to be, or are in the process of being polluted by individualism and selfishness.

Now, imagine a country with the disadvantages of third-world countries, combined with the extreme individualism, materialism, lack of empathy between people as well as coldness and suspicion and unfriendliness. That, I think is fair to say, is my idea of HELL ON EARTH. Worse than any currently-existing third-world country.

Over-run by right-wing nutters obsessed with free-market ideology.

Still, I admire the attitude of the Mayor of Chicago. Hope he lives up to what he preaches.
One of the most straightforward and comprehensive posts on what the USA is really like in 2012. Well done.

Indeed, all the pitfalls of a third world country without any of its benefits.
TRADER1972
Freshman Poster

Post by TRADER1972 »

onezero4u wrote:MATTYMAN:

free market has generated more wealth than any other system EVER...and even raised the standard of living in the poor class as well. ie compare "poor americans" to poor cubans, north koreans etc...haha no comparison...

Still, I admire the attitude of the Mayor of Chicago. Hope he lives up to what he preaches."

the chicago mayor is a f***ing cocksucker...political machine gangster...a mini tyrant lording over his retarded democrat voting flock.

shit dude...the truth is: freedom is GOOD...choices and competition are GOOD. govt controlled ponzi schemes are BAD

Yes, I like the free market too but you have to admit the wealth inequities, corruption and the total lack of f***ing anything to show for $15 trillion in debt and the decaying society in the US. The justice system is a f***ing joke.

But, yeah Rahm Emanuel is a cocksucker and should not have even qualified to run.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

onezero4u wrote:MATTYMAN:

+1

Outwest
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

TRADER1972 wrote:But, yeah Rahm Emanuel is a cocksucker and should not have even qualified to run.
Since Rahm Emanuel took office, the crime rate in Chicago has skyrocketed. Also, the murder rate has gone through the roof since he became mayor. So far, he is doing a terrible job as mayor. His liberal policies are not working (they never do). Chicago now has the highest crime rate of any city in America! :shock:

Also, Chicago has the highest sales tax of any city in America. More and more people are moving out of Chicago and into the suburbs because of the liberal policies of Rahm Emanuel. I read that he eventually wants to run for president! God help us if he is ever elected president! :shock:
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

jamesbond wrote:
TRADER1972 wrote:But, yeah Rahm Emanuel is a cocksucker and should not have even qualified to run.
Since Rahm Emanuel took office, the crime rate in Chicago has skyrocketed. Also, the murder rate has gone through the roof since he became mayor. So far, he is doing a terrible job as mayor. His liberal policies are not working (they never do). Chicago now has the highest crime rate of any city in America! :shock:

Also, Chicago has the highest sales tax of any city in America. More and more people are moving out of Chicago and into the suburbs because of the liberal policies of Rahm Emanuel. I read that he eventually wants to run for president! God help us if he is ever elected president! :shock:

Why is it always the "Income inequality" that is the first thing that comes up vs the education/information/productivity inequality, where most of the blame is? I have a friend in the US who has a business- pays very well, good benefits, all of that. The problem is, he cannot get people with the education and the work ethic/job skills to fill his positions. He would love to help level a bit of the income inequality, but if applicants have come through the typical public education/entitlement matrix, they are not qualified to work for him. When he sees "Private school/home school backgrounds on applications, he sets the apps aside for a closer look. Those who did not go through the public education cone-head factory are his best entry level employees.

Even notice how many of the most vocal complainers about "Income inequality" are products of, or actual members of the pubic educational system that is cranking out unemployable fucktards at record rates? ( That is not so say there are not large numbers of skilled good employees without jobs at the moment.)

Outwest
TRADER1972
Freshman Poster

Post by TRADER1972 »

OutWest wrote:

Why is it always the "Income inequality" that is the first thing that comes up vs the education/information/productivity inequality, where most of the blame is? I have a friend in the US who has a business- pays very well, good benefits, all of that. The problem is, he cannot get people with the education and the work ethic/job skills to fill his positions. He would love to help level a bit of the income inequality, but if applicants have come through the typical public education/entitlement matrix, they are not qualified to work for him. When he sees "Private school/home school backgrounds on applications, he sets the apps aside for a closer look. Those who did not go through the public education cone-head factory are his best entry level employees.

Even notice how many of the most vocal complainers about "Income inequality" are products of, or actual members of the pubic educational system that is cranking out unemployable fucktards at record rates? ( That is not so say there are not large numbers of skilled good employees without jobs at the moment.)

Outwest
No question the education system is a joke.

College tuition is way too much.

Yes, many people here(especially younger) are lazy and/or stupid.

Public employees are spoiled assholes, mostly.

The thing is that the wealth disparities are so ridiculous.
The scams which are employed to get or increase wealth by many of the upper .1% should piss off anyone concerned with justice.

Most people have no idea how many stock option cases were settled in 2006-2007 in the the US. Public companies and insider information allow people to rig the system for a chosen few. All they do is settle with the DOJ using the company funds. No one went to prison like they should have.

I have received dozens of letters over the past 5-7 years from law firms suiting companies over fraud of various sorts. The problem is the lawyers get all the money and a person who lost $10,000 would be lucky to get back $100.

Most people are too dumb or preoccupied to know what the hell is going on.

A show which documents some good examples is "American Greed" on CNBC.
tom
Junior Poster

Post by tom »

Middle class is disappearing because of social economic changes that have been going on for decades. Their have been large scale shifts in lifestyles.

Here are some of my observations:
Single moms, around 50% today, in 1960 5%. This is a large scale change. You change society this much its going to have an effect. You look around the world and everywhere I see this it always equals poverty without exception.

The housing run up late 1990's - 2000's, during this this time people were handed wealth, that is the poor were made wealthy. Typically they spent the wealth and dramatically increased there debts. The financial crises is a personal debt problem not a government one.

I dont know how to explain this simply, many ghetto mindsets have become mainstream. Things like the praise of the baby momma. Single moms may bitch and complain at their children but are not good a hands on practical guidance. The acceptance of the player the thug thinking - this equals a minimal education in favor of looking good and pushing others down. My explanation is not so good. Its there many different versions of this. You will see these ways of thinking and living in poor third world places and when people do this in America they seem to be getting the same results.

OutWest wrote:
jamesbond wrote: Why is it always the "Income inequality" that is the first thing that comes up vs the education/information/productivity inequality, where most of the blame is? I have a friend in the US who has a business- pays very well, good benefits, all of that. The problem is, he cannot get people with the education and the work ethic/job skills to fill his positions. He would love to help level a bit of the income inequality, but if applicants have come through the typical public education/entitlement matrix, they are not qualified to work for him. When he sees "Private school/home school backgrounds on applications, he sets the apps aside for a closer look. Those who did not go through the public education cone-head factory are his best entry level employees.

Outwest
Its hard to find qualified people these days, noticed that too.

To address this a little Alvin Toffler might help a bit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raey9DH7wDc

And here we have a direct example of a different educational option.
You Tube can offer all kinds of educational opportunities.
Toffler also talks about how drastically out of date and maladaptive public education is.
Last edited by tom on July 21st, 2012, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

They say a picture says a thousand words. Well this picture say it all about what the United States government is doing to it's people! :P

"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."