Great Movies worth checking out - Post your recommendations

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Great Movies worth checking out - Post your recommendations

Post by Winston »

Do any of you love spooky melancholy enchanting music in 1970s films like this one below? Watch the intro theme at the beginning for one minute. Isn't it enchanting and spooky and melancholy?

Its a classic film about a reincarnation thriller film called "The Reincarnation of Peter Proud." Considered one of the best reincarnation mystery films. From 1975. Have any of you seen it? @jamesbond?

Jennifer O'Neil in it looked so wholesome and sweet. Did America women like that really exist? Why didnt we marry women like that? Our life would be perfect. Lol. Don't u ever think about that and feel pissed?

How come modern films dont have that spooky melancholy soundtrack anymore? You know what i mean right? Even wickerman had some of that.

Also in 70s films you didn't need captions because the dialogue was easy to hear and follow and not too fast like today. For modern movies I need captions because I miss a lot of dialogue because the speech isn't as clear as in old films. And characters often mutter or whisper too. So I miss the lines unless there's captions.

I saw this film long ago. But didnt remember much. When i looked it up online it was rated as one of the best thrillers of the 70s involving reincarnation with a good story. I just watched it in full last night. It was pretty good. Very well done. The women in it looked hot and wholesome and feminine. Especially Jennifer O'Neil, the girl from Summer of 42.

Don't any of you love that spooky melancholy soundtrack too?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Winston wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 6:51 pm
What is the BR directors cut? What movie are you referring to? What does BR stand for?
SORRY I DID NOT SEE YOU RESPONDED. I FIGURED YOU WOULD NOT BECAUSE you usually do not. Blue ray, the movie in the movie theatre was cut so it could make the R grade. the original was rated X because of the violence....
Time to Hide!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Moretorque wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 2:13 pm
Winston wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 6:51 pm
What is the BR directors cut? What movie are you referring to? What does BR stand for?
SORRY I DID NOT SEE YOU RESPONDED. I FIGURED YOU WOULD NOT BECAUSE you usually do not. Blue ray, the movie in the movie theatre was cut so it could make the R grade. the original was rated X because of the violence....
Oh so BR is Blade Runner? Ick! That movie was dark and gloomy and senseless. I didn't like it. Very depressing. I don't see why anyone would like it. Nothing good or redeeming about it. Just violence for the sake of it. I didn't like the new one either. I don't see why everyone said it was good.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

This shark movie looks pretty good. Pretty tense and exciting.

The Reef (2010)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1320291/?ref_=vp_back

Trailer

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

If any of you liked the movie "miracles from heaven" you will like this one too. Its a new movie about a mom whose son drowned in a frozen lake and was dead for an hour. Then she prayed fervently and he came back to life. A true story too. Great for believers in God. See trailer below.

Breakthrough (2019)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7083526/?ref_=fn_al_tt_0

Wow i just saw the movie. Very powerful and inspiring. Proves that prayer works. Especially mass prayer. True story too. Definitely worth seeing. Will move you.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Interesting movie for those who like conspiracies. "The Domino Principle" starring Gene Hackman from 1977. It's about a convict (Hackman) who gets out of prison because a secret government group hires him to do a secret mission, where he is on a need to know basis, in exchange for his release from jail and a pardon. The title sequence is interesting and spooky and talks about how secret hidden forces control you from behind the scenes that you don't even know about. lol

Full Film: The Domino Principle (1977)

Trailer

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Another great 70's film, especially if you like train ride action movies. This one is "The Cassandra Crossing" and stars Sophia Loren, Richard Harris, Martin Sheen and OJ Simpson. It's also a virus pandemic movie. It's about a train full of people in Europe infected by a lethal virus that has to be quarantined and disposed of. Very riveting and suspenseful. I just saw it and it's pretty good. Well made and exciting.

Full Film: The Cassandra Crossing (1976)

When a plague-infected terrorist boards a passenger train to escape capture, authorities at the International Health Organization quarantine the entire train. To prevent anyone from leaving, armed personnel are brought onboard and the windows sealed with metal plates. Another 70's disaster movie with government intrigue and no CGI.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Interesting movie from 1974 where William Shatner plays a psychotic con man and playboy. lol

Impulse (1974)

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

@Mr S recommends this movie from 1945 called "Leave Her To Heaven" with a gorgeous sexy feminine actress named Gene Tierney. I found it on YouTube so here it is. Wow could you really meet a beautiful woman like that on a train in 1945? lol. Abroad its possible of course, but America?

Plot:

A writer falls in love with a young socialite and they are married soon after, but her obsessive love for him threatens to be the undoing of both them and everyone else around them.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Blue Thunder original movie theme from 1983 (not the TV series). Wasn't that movie rad? I heard they are going to do a remake of the film.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Documentary for @Cornfed lol

Trailer for Alt Right: Age of Rage

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Just saw the remake of "The Prisoner" series. It's only 6 episodes. Not as good as the original but very interesting.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1043714/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_7

Trailer

The village is definitely a metaphor for the matrix that we live in that imprisons us. The last episode is very interesting and suggests that there are layers of consciousness and that we may have layers of consciousness in other dimensions too. This suggests our matrix reality is sort of a prison or purgatory of the mind. Perhaps this is a cosmic prison for souls who did something wrong. Like a cosmic jail sentence for us to work through. That would explain a lot. Deep stuff.

Link to download on torrent:
https://thepiratebay.org/description.php?id=5691803

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Some great interpretation of the Prisoner remake series that make sense and are mind blowing and reflect deeper truths of our reality/matrix as well. I think the sleeping/dreaming wife of Number 2 represents the goddess Sophia in Gnostic mythology, whom Gnostics say is dreaming us all.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1043714/re ... ef_=tt_urv

One Possible Interpretation of The Prisoner remake
jeconway318 November 2009

Warning: Spoilers

Mr. Curtis (aka #2) CEO of Summakor, developed a technology to tap into people's subconscious minds. Somehow, Curtis' wife, M2, placed into an artificially-induced dream state, controls the world of the subconscious (called The Village). As M2 awakens from time to time, reality creeps into the subconscious environment as a number of bottomless holes that randomly appear in grounds of The Village campus.

Everything in the Village exists in the subconscious minds of M2, Curtis/2 and people/Village residents. The "residents" have been carefully selected by Curtis/2 as subjects in need of mental therapy. Curtis/2 has injected himself into the subconscious Village world to directly try to heal the selected people. If Curtis/2 can control the subconscious of people (i.e. make them happy and peaceful in their subconscious world), he reasons, the people will mimic those feelings and actions in the real world.

Michael (aka #6), a Summakor employee, has worked on the Summakor technology at some level (subject identification?). Suspecting that the technology is being used unwisely, Michael/6 decides to resign from Summakor. Curtis/2, unhappy with this, somehow taps Michael's subconscious and brings him into The Village environment. In doing so Curtis/2 hopes to bring Michael/6 back to Summakor.

(The film uses a plot stunt that initially looks like flashbacks... in reality they are "toggles" between events on-going in the real world and simultaneous events being played out in the subconscious minds of the residents. This is why the plot seems so disjointed. We observe versions of both reality and the subconscious through the eyes of the individuals on-screen at any given moment.) Curtis/2 makes numerous attempts at inducing Michael/6 to rejoin Summakor/The Village by utilizing a broad range of subconscious "Village" tricks. None work. At his wit's end Curtis/2 suddenly has an epiphany (triggered by his subconscious, imaginary son's behaviors) and determines that he and his wife are actually prisoners of Summakor's technology and that Michael/2 may hold the key to their escape.

With this thought, Curtis/2 decides to hand over control of both Summakor and The Village technology to Michael/6.

Through a revelation that Michale/6's Village girlfriend (313) is severely mentally ill in the real world and that The Village is her only hope, Curtis/2 convinces Michael/6 to re-join Summakor as head of The Village project. Michael/6 steps up to the challenge in both the real and Village worlds.

Curtis (and his wife), the real prisoners in this tale, are finally freed from the nightmare that both Summakor and The Village have become.

Finis!

Re-Imaging The Prisoner
timdalton00713 May 2010

A man resigns from a mysterious agency. Soon, he finds himself in a place known only as "the Village" where nobody has a name but is a number where he's re-dubbed Six by its leader a man known only as Two. Resisting Two's attempts to break his mind with his insistence "I am not a number, I am a free man," Six begins trying to escape while trying to piece together what and where the Village really is. That, in short, is the premise of the six episode miniseries re-imaging of the classic 1967 Patrick McGoohan TV series The Prisoner. The Prisoner is an intriguing psychological thriller with sci-fi overtones.

The miniseries is anchored by a fine cast. Jim Caviezal plays Six, a man lost in a strange world and always on his guard against everyone and everything around him, who is a radically different character from the McGoohan version. His foe is Sir Ian McKellen as Two, the Big Brother like leader who seems benevolent yet is in fact a manipulative and cunning man who brings to mind memories of Leo Mckern in the original series. The villagers include Two's son 11-12 (Jamie Campbell Bower), the beautiful but mysterious doctor 313 (Ruth Wilson) and 4-15 (Hayley Atwell) who has some connection to Six's old life. Together they bring to life the assorted characters who occupy the Village.

By definition, this is a re-imaging of the original series. The biggest change being the focus is on the mind games between Six and Two, making this more of a psychological thriller then the original perhaps was. These include introducing the concept of the Village being the only thing in existence which does stretch creditability quite a bit. More successful are mind games such as in Harmony when Six is told he has brother for example. More successful perhaps is the setting for these mind games is an intriguing new version of the Village set in the middle of the desert. Like in the original, it is here that the sci-fi overtones to come in. With them the series explores issues such as electronic surveillance, mind control and the ability of an individual to resist conforming with society allowing for some intriguing social commentary along the way. Also intriguing is the clever playing with flashbacks to Six's previous life which are not be what they seem. Having said all that, things can be a bit too surreal and downright confusing at times so if you don't have a open mind and don't pick up clues as the miniseries goes on, things can (and will) be baffling. Overall, the re-imaging works splendidly.

There's homages to the original series as well. These include such things as the old man's costume at the beginning of episode one (the role was originally meant as a cameo for the late Patrick McGoohan) and the return of the mysterious balloon like guard Rover. Perhaps the biggest homage lie in the various episode titles which are all derived from original series including Arrival and Checkmate to name just two. This helps to remind the audience that, though this is at times a radical re-imagining of the series, the past hasn't been completely forgotten about.

By blending fine acting, mind games, an intriguing setting, homages to the original series, and clever playing with story-lines and ideas this version of The Prisoner becomes, while not a classic, an intriguing psychological thriller with sci-fi overtones. Are you interested? Then prepare to take a classic TV series in an intriguing new direction. But remember: "You only think you're free."

Amazing and most won't ever get past episode 1
tmb-1118 November 2009

When an actor as prestigious as Ian gets involved with a mini-series I tend to take notice. I assume he knew the original quite well, and would not have agreed to such a stunning perversion of it unless he believed that the end product would be spectacular. Fortunately it is just that.

Spoilers and plot lines for those who are confused.

The true beauty of this series lies in the relationship between 6, the son of number 2(11-12) , 2 (and the un2), 313, 415, and the mother of 11-12. let's take them in order of importance to the village.

The mother is clearly the most important person for the village. She is, number 1 if you will. She has a Spinoza-style god-like relationship with the village. That is to say that the village exists entirely as a product of her willing it to exist. It is a product of her subconscious and requires her active imagination to persist. When she is forced to interact with others inside the village, the village itself begins to fall apart (the ambiance anomalies). She is kept in a pseudo-comatose state by number 2 that seems to persist even in the real world NYC. This stems her statement that, "when I volunteered to be the village dreamer, I had no idea it would be so much work".

2 is the second most important person to the village. He is in a sense its caretaker. He has spies everywhere and knows almost everything about everyone. He is constantly chasing after dreamers who endanger the village, all the while attempting to cure the people in the real world who are sent to the village. 6 is of the utmost interest to him because he hopes one day 6 will take over 2's duties in the village. He must first cure 6 of the afflictions in his mind. Most of the episodes deal with the psychological and philosophical battles between 6 and 2. 2 drugs him almost nightly, throws women at him, lays out tapestries of lies and deceit all in an attempt to break 6 of his desire to escape back to NY.

11-12 has the distinction of being born in the village. He is entirely a creation of his mothers mind, and can therefore not escape back to the real world. He longs for this impossibility and is bedazzled by the dreamers who know of the "other place". He is in constant rebellion from number 2, and his friendship is basically a death sentence for the other villagers. He has enormous pull within the village because of his father, and has an attraction to 6 that plays itself out beautifully on screen. The real development of his character occurs when he receives the key to his mother's medicine cabinet. He wakes her, realizes the despair of his situation and tries to kill his mother after he puts her back to sleep. (How one can kill the very thing that makes one persist is beyond me, and maybe that's why it doesn't take immediately...seems like quite the paradox) 11-12 hangs himself in despair. This is the second to last in a series of 'suicides' and 'suicide attempts' which explore the philosopher Albert Camus's fundamental question of philosophy....suicide. Is it worth it to live, to wake up every morning...and many characters in this series answer that with a resounding NO! 6, 313, and 415 are in a love triangle. 6 knows 415 from his nyc flat where they spend one special night together. The complexity of their relationship drives two of the latter episodes, and provides for some of the most beautiful and truthful statements on love that I've ever heard. 313 is a dreamer who has the unenviable task of treating 6 of a disease (the desire for escape to 'the other place') which she herself has. She loves him, yet is found to be a dreamer by 2, and is coerced into playing his game with 6 or dying. 2 has other things in mind for her though. She is to become the next number 1 (my words not theirs). She has the ability to make the village persist in her dreams.

Un 2 is my favorite character. He says some of the most philosophically poignant things. Ian pulls off this duality with amazing acting prowess. In the scenes where he is Untwo, one really feels like they are watching a completely different character. His mannerisms, disposition, and conversation is the perfect antithesis for 2.

I know this is only a cursory plot outline, but I implore you to get through this series. It is intensely rewarding!

Wow! This is REALLY interesting!
Safetylight18 November 2009

(Spoiliers contained)

I've only watched the first 5 parts so far, but I have to say I am very impressed!

The people who are complaining loudly while comparing this to the 60's Prisoner are perhaps missing the point, possibly even missing the point of the whole original series.

This new version of the story is *very* clever.

The humans in the Village are no different than the people living in our real world, but with this show, the control mechanisms are right there in the viewer's face. The episodes dealing with family and love are particularly insightful. It's amazing how our emotions can be so easily used to control us and to throw us off our path, even when we are entirely cognisant of our being manipulated.

Even the myth of "evil" tobacco drifted into focus in episode #5. Ian McKellen's #2 tells us, "I used to smoke in order to think." --This is, of course, true; nicotine is one of the only two drugs which enhance awareness without affecting judgement. (The other is caffeine). Smoking is naturally not allowed in the village; same as out here in the 'real' world.

In the original series, #6 was the super-man. He chewed through #2's every second episode because he was smarter and stronger than the system trying to contain him. It felt good to cheer him on. And while the fantasy of the emotionally stunted super-spy fit well into the cultural head-space of the 60's, and while I still have warm place in my heart for that series, it was largely escapist fantasy with little to say about our actual day-to-day reality. By contrast, the #6 in this series I find much easier to relate to. He is not a pretend super-man; but rather he is faulty, but dogged and persistent. He has made his choice and no matter what obstacles they throw in his way, he struggles toward full awareness. This show is relevant to where we are now as a culture.

I definitely recommend this series, but I really don't think it's for everybody.

And bearing in mind, I say all of this not having seen the 6th part yet. . .

EDIT~~~~~

Have now watched all six parts. It's brilliant! I didn't think they'd go there. 6 becomes 2. --And this is the uncomfortable truth of conspiracy; Those who have the strength and courage to seek all the way through without falling into a submissive role within some other agency, those who grow are no longer are able to fit into the same level of awareness as their peers. In a closed system, such people *by default* become the caretakers and keepers of those who are still growing. 6 became the master and the rest of the people his kennel. Upsetting, but very, very accurate.

But he'll learn. The cycle doesn't end, and he's coming from a place of compassion. I think he'll make a better 2 than the creepy version of Gandalf.

An excellent series, but only for those with eyes to see.

A Fine Art Piece - Restrained, Refined ... too subtle for most
jefsof-217 November 2009

This reimagining of The Prisoner is terrific - deep, atmospheric, and a finely worked piece of art. Excellent performances throughout, wonderful production design, melancholy music perfect for the subject matter.

Ostensibly a story about the prison of the mind, it is also a story of human nature and includes a bit of time-travel (time-forward/time-backward and overlap), it plays upon perception and reality (once again with overlap), and a man's quest for freedom and meaning.

It is slow-moving, relying on its stylized representations to take the viewer's mind to its other place, and it succeeds.

You feel touches of other stories (The Matrix, Dark City, Mulholland Drive, and so on) but it has a unique vision.

It is not directly a remake of the 1960s classic cult series, and it is the better for it. That would have worked - changing the politics and time-frame of course, but this was truly creative.

It is a subtle, elegant work, not likely to be understood by many.

For those of you who couldn't figure out what was going on: Six in the real world was determined to figure out what he had been working on for the secret mega-corp headed by the Two character - it turns out he (Ian McKellan) was an eccentric rich fellow who wanted to fix broken people and constructed a Matrix-like Village in which these peoples' minds could live and prosper within the confines of the construct and its rules. Another person held the construct in their mind - the wife at the beginning ... and she had to be asleep or the construct began to unravel (the holes). The whole point of the story was that Two wanted to replace himself and he cultivated Six because of his strong moral compass. The trials and tribulations Six went through were to test his mettle and by the end he proved himself and Two was able to move on. Six indeed became a prisoner, but a willing prisoner - bound by love.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I'm also watching The 4400 series from 2004. Man it is the most ADDICTING TV show I've ever seen. It makes you curious about the next episode and always leaves you hanging at the end of each episode. lol. You guys should see it if you want to see a riveting TV series with good characters you will care about (which is uncommon in modern shows) and great plots, stories, archetypes and motifs too, which involve salvation, messiah, ascension, unification with God into a Golden Age, etc. But be warned though, once you start this you won't wanna stop. You will be hooked.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389564/?ref_=vp_back

Plot Synopsis:

"What appears to be a comet slows, hovers and stops, then bursts forth to reveal 4,400 people who were presumed dead or missing over the past 50 years. They look exactly the same as the moment they disappeared, but some of the returnees now have special powers. After one of the 4,400 commits a murder, a special division of the Homeland Security Department is formed to monitor them."

Storyline:

"The 4400 explores the travails of the 4400 people who all at once returned in a ball of light to Earth; though the returnees had not aged physically, many of them reappeared with dramatic abilities ranging from enhanced reflexes to precognition. NTAC (National Threat Assessment Command) is the government agency responsible for keeping track of the returnees and investigating all things related to the 4400."

Torrent download link for all 4 seasons
https://thepiratebay.org/description.php?id=19280974

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

They are making a fourth Matrix movie now. Here's what we know so far about it, along with some speculations. Neo and Trinity come back to life it seems, and they may be in another matrix again.