Rudder's Recommended Movies

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
rudder
Junior Poster

Rudder's Recommended Movies

Post by rudder »

Some I've seen recently:

As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me - An excellent German film from 2001

How to Have Sex - A nicely done modern film, which felt like a glimpse into modern-day British teen girl revelry. The film focuses on the hookup culture of today, and the main character seems sold by peer pressure on the idea that hooking up is a very important right of passage for herself, but then must come to terms with reality. The internal conflict that builds up in the main character over the course of the film was very compelling. Although I'm not a girl, it reminded me of my thoughts and feelings on the subject when I was younger. I thought it was going to be a violent film or slasher flick. But it's not. It's also not a feminist film, despite what others might say. I felt it was more of a critique of modern life in western society.

Nyad - Very inspirational.

29th Street - An excellent fictional story from 1991 about the winner of the first ever New York State lottery.

Biking Borders - A German documentary from 2019 following two guys who decide to do a fundraiser and Bike from Berlin to Beijing passing though some far flung countries like Turkmenistan and Iran. Lots of fun.

The Adam Project - From 2022. A fun movie. Not too serious. I liked how it had some very positive and emotional messages about the value of family.

Watson - (2019). A documentary about the guy who started Sea Shepherd. I didn't know anything about him going into the film, but the guy is pretty badass.

A Million Miles Away - Was another inspiring movie.

That's all for now.
Last edited by rudder on January 14th, 2024, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Re: Rudder's Recommended Movies

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

rudder wrote:
January 14th, 2024, 8:57 am
Some I've seen recently:

How to Have Sex - A nicely done modern film, which felt like a glimpse into modern-day British teen girl revelry. The film focuses on the hookup culture of today, and the main character seems sold by peer pressure on the idea that hooking up is a very important right of passage for herself, but then must come to terms with reality. The internal conflict that builds up in the main character over the course of the film was very compelling. Although I'm not a girl, it reminded me of my thoughts and feelings on the subject when I was younger. I thought it was going to be a violent film or slasher flick. But it's not. It's also not a feminist film, despite what others might say. I felt it was more of a critique of modern life in western society.

29th Street - An excellent fictional story from 1991 about the winner of the first ever New York State lottery.

Biking Borders - A German documentary from 2019 following two guys who decide to do a fundraiser and Bike from Berlin to Beijing passing though some far flung countries like Turkmenistan and Iran. Lots of fun.

The Adam Project - From 2022. A fun movie. Not too serious. I liked how it had some very positive and emotional messages about the value of family.

Watson - (2019). A documentary about the guy who started Sea Shepherd. I didn't know anything about him going into the film, but the guy is pretty badass.

That's all for now.
Hey, Rudder. Nice to see you again.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Hollywood doesn't make like they used to.. the movies in the 1980's to early 2000's are classics,
Some movies I like
American Beauty(1999), Fight Club(1999), Good Bye Lenin(2001), Falling down(1993), Office space(1999), Ferris Buller day off(1986), Gung Ho(1986), Downfall(2004), Terminator 2(1991), Jurassic Park(1993), Robocop(1987), Sixth Sense(1999), Die Hard(1989), Ransom(1998),
Taxi Driver(1976), Demolition Man(1993), The Last of the Mohicans(1992), Braveheart(1995), Lord of the Rings Trilogy(2001,2002,2003),
Con Air(1997), The Wolf of Wall Street(2013), Solyent green(1973), Blade(1998), Underworld(2003), Fast and Furious(2001) and still more to come.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

Here's a huge turd to avoid:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt17009348/reviews

Normally, I'll sit through a bad movie, and give it a chance. Only rarely do I make an exception. I made an exception with Let's Be Cops and this new turd of a movie, Dogman. I guess I could be categorized as a dog lover, so that should give you an idea of just how bad of a movie it is. I decided it wasn't worth sitting past the 40-minute mark. My rational mind could not tolerate the assault. Everything that happened begged me to suspend disbelief so much that I felt like maybe the movie was going to turn into some sort of satirical spoof of the modern-day hollywood agenda. That's probably the only approach that would've salvaged this wreck and turned it into a poignant comedy of sorts, mocking modern society. If that were the case, it would've been an enjoyable movie. Unfortunately, the director decided to make this a serious movie, perhaps mentally on par for tweens, but a little too gory for such a target audience, so it really made me wonder who the heck this movie was for. One of the imdb reviewers said something like, "you'd have to be a new world order lover to enjoy this movie." The whole story and writing just seemed like a giant cliche with the only novelty being the grant money used to push the drag-queen story hour agenda.

The only reason I'm posting is to highlight the imdb review section. I can't believe the positive reviews are legitimate. It sounds like the marketing crew hired a click farm in the Philippines or India to write all the 9 and 10 star reviews. Is that a thing with imdb reviews?
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

duplicate
Last edited by rudder on January 28th, 2024, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

Natural_Born_Cynic wrote:
January 14th, 2024, 9:05 am

Hollywood doesn't make like they used to.. the movies in the 1980's to early 2000's are classics,
Some movies I like
American Beauty(1999), Fight Club(1999), Good Bye Lenin(2001), Falling down(1993), Office space(1999), Ferris Buller day off(1986), Gung Ho(1986), Downfall(2004), Terminator 2(1991), Jurassic Park(1993), Robocop(1987), Sixth Sense(1999), Die Hard(1989), Ransom(1998),
Taxi Driver(1976), Demolition Man(1993), The Last of the Mohicans(1992), Braveheart(1995), Lord of the Rings Trilogy(2001,2002,2003),
Con Air(1997), The Wolf of Wall Street(2013), Solyent green(1973), Blade(1998), Underworld(2003), Fast and Furious(2001) and still more to come.
I'll have to check out a couple of those that I haven't seen. Dances with Wolves fits in that list.
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

Radical (Spanish language film) was a good, newer movie.
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

Wish You Were Here (1987)

A British film that revolves around a very pretty and flirty teenage girl. Definitely something @Winston would recommend.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

rudder wrote:
Some I've seen recently:

That's all for now.

Some movies I like
Obviously the Matrix. Brad Pitt's early movies were good. Se7en. 12 Monkeys. Kalifornia (want to see this).

Most of the modern day movies are trash.

ChatGPT is good for movie recommendations:

what are some movies in the Cyberpunk genre?

The cyberpunk genre is known for its futuristic, dystopian settings, often featuring advanced technology, artificial intelligence, and a gritty urban environment. Here are some notable movies in the cyberpunk genre:

1. **Blade Runner (1982)** - Directed by Ridley Scott, this film is a classic in the genre, based on Philip K. Dick's novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

2. **The Matrix (1999)** - Directed by the Wachowskis, this film explores a virtual reality world and the fight against machines.

3. **Ghost in the Shell (1995)** - An animated Japanese film directed by Mamoru Oshii, it's based on Masamune Shirow's manga and explores themes of artificial intelligence and cybernetic enhancements.

4. **Akira (1988)** - Another Japanese animated film directed by Katsuhiro Otomo, based on his manga. It's set in a post-apocalyptic Tokyo with psychic powers and advanced technology.

5. **Neuromancer (upcoming)** - There's an upcoming adaptation of William Gibson's influential novel "Neuromancer," which is expected to bring cyberpunk elements to the screen.

6. **Dredd (2012)** - A gritty, action-packed film set in a violent, dystopian future where law enforcement officers act as judge, jury, and executioner.

7. **Elysium (2013)** - Directed by Neill Blomkamp, this film explores class disparity in a future Earth where the wealthy live on a space station while the rest suffer on the polluted planet.

8. **Alita: Battle Angel (2019)** - Directed by Robert Rodriguez and produced by James Cameron, this film is based on the manga series "Gunnm" and follows a cyborg with no memory as she navigates a futuristic city.

9. **Strange Days (1995)** - Directed by Kathryn Bigelow, this film is set in a dystopian Los Angeles on the brink of the new millennium and involves virtual reality and noir elements.

10. **Johnny Mnemonic (1995)** - Based on a short story by William Gibson, this film stars Keanu Reeves as a data courier with a limited time to deliver critical information.

These movies offer a mix of dystopian futures, advanced technology, and exploration of the impact of technology on society, which are common themes in the cyberpunk genre.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

kangarunner wrote:
February 12th, 2024, 6:28 am
rudder wrote:
Some I've seen recently:

That's all for now.

Some movies I like
Obviously the Matrix. Brad Pitt's early movies were good. Se7en. 12 Monkeys. Kalifornia (want to see this).

The cyberpunk genre is known for its futuristic, dystopian settings, often featuring advanced technology, artificial intelligence, and a gritty urban environment. Here are some notable movies in the cyberpunk genre:

1. **Blade Runner (1982)** - Directed by Ridley Scott, this film is a classic in the genre, based on Philip K. Dick's novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

2. **The Matrix (1999)** - Directed by the Wachowskis, this film explores a virtual reality world and the fight against machines.

3. **Ghost in the Shell (1995)** - An animated Japanese film directed by Mamoru Oshii, it's based on Masamune Shirow's manga and explores themes of artificial intelligence and cybernetic enhancements.

4. **Akira (1988)** - Another Japanese animated film directed by Katsuhiro Otomo, based on his manga. It's set in a post-apocalyptic Tokyo with psychic powers and advanced technology.

5. **Neuromancer (upcoming)** - There's an upcoming adaptation of William Gibson's influential novel "Neuromancer," which is expected to bring cyberpunk elements to the screen.

6. **Dredd (2012)** - A gritty, action-packed film set in a violent, dystopian future where law enforcement officers act as judge, jury, and executioner.

7. **Elysium (2013)** - Directed by Neill Blomkamp, this film explores class disparity in a future Earth where the wealthy live on a space station while the rest suffer on the polluted planet.

8. **Alita: Battle Angel (2019)** - Directed by Robert Rodriguez and produced by James Cameron, this film is based on the manga series "Gunnm" and follows a cyborg with no memory as she navigates a futuristic city.

9. **Strange Days (1995)** - Directed by Kathryn Bigelow, this film is set in a dystopian Los Angeles on the brink of the new millennium and involves virtual reality and noir elements.

10. **Johnny Mnemonic (1995)** - Based on a short story by William Gibson, this film stars Keanu Reeves as a data courier with a limited time to deliver critical information.

These movies offer a mix of dystopian futures, advanced technology, and exploration of the impact of technology on society, which are common themes in the cyberpunk genre.
Why Chat GPT recommanded those movies are beyond me.
The Matrix, first one is great too. The sequels plot went off the rails.
Blade Runner is a classic and Dredd was also good. Elysium's Jodie foster was good too, as she was the evil b*tch.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

kangarunner wrote:
February 12th, 2024, 6:28 am
rudder wrote:
Some I've seen recently:

That's all for now.

Some movies I like

Don't forget THX-1138 by the director of Star Wars
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

Provo

Not necessarily a recommendation, but I think a Happier Abroad discussion could be had, centering around the forum's recurring theme, "dwelling on how bad western females are."

The protagonist hates her dad, apparently. Yet the viewer never learns why he is deserving of such hate. She just complains about how bad he was in an "if you only knew" kind of way. She's promiscuous, critical of religion, frumpy?, her two housemates she lives with are fat lesbians that look like they could have won a halloween costume contest for social justice warrior. She's lazy, vulgar, no work ethic, smokes a lot, drinks a lot. I would also argue that she keeps her black guy friend around, because she subconsciously wants to pander to the modern-day blm spirit. He's basically an accessory for her to wear. The black guy is of course way cooler than she is, actually acts like a decent human being and, in typical american guy fashion, stoically puts up with all the BS the americunt throws at him constantly.

In one scene the guy pretty much lays his heart on the line and tells this female friend that he wants to be romantically involved. She mocks this genuine expression of tenderness, leaving the guy completely vulnerable. Then a subsequent scene ensues where she has contacted someone via tinder or somesuch app and meets in some gas station bathroom to let the total stranger screw her bent over the sink.

She says she's glad that her dad is dying, and acts like it's a good thing, telling her friend she's going to spit in her dad's face at the funeral, but then in another scene she uses her dying dad to excuse her behavior when treating her black friend poorly: "I'm going through a lot right now!"

Honestly, I could see the movie becoming some sort of cult classic amongst circles like Happier Abroad with the protagonist representing the modern american girl in their minds.

It's an indie film and definitely has the indie feel to it. I mean that in a good way. It was actually pretty nicely done and felt realistic.
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

For a proper recommendation,

Enemy of the State (1998)

Can't believe I never saw it until recently. Great movie. I think Blink 182 even named an album after it, Enema of the State. I like that sort of Jason Bourne type movie, and this one was a definite classic. Probably more relevant today than the year it was made. An early scene in the movie where some talking heads are on the TV totally foreshadows the September 11 events. Pretty wild ride. Very clever movie.

Another recommendation from the same genre, Eagle Eye.
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

Historias Lamentables (2020) was a very fun Spanish movie. Very original.

Another good Spanish movie is Crimen Ferpecto (Crimen Perfecto). I don't remember the year.