Is this little cold/flu Covid?

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Is this little cold/flu Covid?

Post by MrMan »

A little over a week ago, one of my kids had a fever one day and missed school and went back the next with just a bit of nasal irritation. She wanted to go back to school and wasn't really coughing all over the place. My other girls got it. They coughed a bit more, but wanted to go back to school. They wear masks. I bought them some off-brand Claritin.

I got the bug, and now my son has it. For me, I had a 99 degree fever for one day and feverish symptoms--aches, after that. I don't have a fever, but my legs ache here and there. I worked out on an abductor/adductor machine, but that was over a week ago. I've walked to get the mail. My legs shouldn't ache normally. For days and days, I'd sleep really heavy, and woke up a couple of times a night feeling like I'd slept heavy or weird, kind of like when you have a fever. Waking up this morning, I felt normal, not like I'd awoken from a feverish sleep, but my legs still ache.

If I start to come down with a cold, I use a technique to flush my sinuses with saline with a bit of peroxide (don't lean your head back and get it in your ears.) I have been doing that. I had a bit of irritation in the back of the nasal cavity, and some globs of sometimes bloody mucous come from there. I breathe in steam, too.

Really, this is very mild. The respiratory symptoms are mild. I occasionally cough.

But my son has it. He is feeling pretty lousy now, and he has lost some of his sense of taste. He cannot taste the sweet or sour of orange juice. I made a close approximation of Indonesian chicken soto (soup) out of a rotisserie chicken, and he can taste the umami flavor in it.

Him losing his sense of taste has me thinking this is probably a mild variant of Covid. If it is, it's a pretty light way of potentially getting some immunity. I'd rather have this than an experimental shot. My dad is in his '80's and he is getting over Covid. He had a full-blown case. We thought we were going to lose him. My guess is that I got some weak variant of Covid-19, or one of those millions of other flu bugs that did not stop existing when Covid-19 came onto the scene.

I ordered a free government Covid test, but it will probably arrive too late. I am thinking of getting a Covid test at the store. The last I heard, they were out, but that was weeks ago. My kids would probably want one. I am wondering if getting a positive test would be advantageous, maybe with boarding a plan later after I've had it.

If this is a weak Covid variant that gives immunity, and it is gentler on old people. if it spreads around, this pandemic could be over rather quickly. If there were not a pandemic, I would have gone to work as normal with this ailment. I did stay home because of the policies to stay home if you have cold-like symptoms.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Is this little cold/flu Covid?

Post by Cornfed »

Better take the jabs just in case, and would it kill you to get jabs from more than one company.
Gali
Junior Poster

Post by Gali »

MrMan wrote:
February 2nd, 2022, 7:52 am
A little over a week ago, one of my kids had a fever one day and missed school and went back the next with just a bit of nasal irritation. She wanted to go back to school and wasn't really coughing all over the place. My other girls got it. They coughed a bit more, but wanted to go back to school. They wear masks. I bought them some off-brand Claritin.

I got the bug, and now my son has it. For me, I had a 99 degree fever for one day and feverish symptoms--aches, after that. I don't have a fever, but my legs ache here and there. I worked out on an abductor/adductor machine, but that was over a week ago. I've walked to get the mail. My legs shouldn't ache normally. For days and days, I'd sleep really heavy, and woke up a couple of times a night feeling like I'd slept heavy or weird, kind of like when you have a fever. Waking up this morning, I felt normal, not like I'd awoken from a feverish sleep, but my legs still ache.

If I start to come down with a cold, I use a technique to flush my sinuses with saline with a bit of peroxide (don't lean your head back and get it in your ears.) I have been doing that. I had a bit of irritation in the back of the nasal cavity, and some globs of sometimes bloody mucous come from there. I breathe in steam, too.

Really, this is very mild. The respiratory symptoms are mild. I occasionally cough.

But my son has it. He is feeling pretty lousy now, and he has lost some of his sense of taste. He cannot taste the sweet or sour of orange juice. I made a close approximation of Indonesian chicken soto (soup) out of a rotisserie chicken, and he can taste the umami flavor in it.

Him losing his sense of taste has me thinking this is probably a mild variant of Covid. If it is, it's a pretty light way of potentially getting some immunity. I'd rather have this than an experimental shot. My dad is in his '80's and he is getting over Covid. He had a full-blown case. We thought we were going to lose him. My guess is that I got some weak variant of Covid-19, or one of those millions of other flu bugs that did not stop existing when Covid-19 came onto the scene.

I ordered a free government Covid test, but it will probably arrive too late. I am thinking of getting a Covid test at the store. The last I heard, they were out, but that was weeks ago. My kids would probably want one. I am wondering if getting a positive test would be advantageous, maybe with boarding a plan later after I've had it.

If this is a weak Covid variant that gives immunity, and it is gentler on old people. if it spreads around, this pandemic could be over rather quickly. If there were not a pandemic, I would have gone to work as normal with this ailment. I did stay home because of the policies to stay home if you have cold-like symptoms.
Good for you but seems like your dad should have better been vaxxed
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Gali wrote:
February 2nd, 2022, 8:30 am
My dad is strongly anti-vax. We were glad when he finally agreed to one of the treatments he was refusing.
Gali
Junior Poster

Post by Gali »

MrMan wrote:
February 2nd, 2022, 9:24 am
Gali wrote:
February 2nd, 2022, 8:30 am
My dad is strongly anti-vax. We were glad when he finally agreed to one of the treatments he was refusing.
Damned. People are weird.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

I tested positive for COVID. This is barely even a head cold. I've just been a little tired and I felt like I had slept 'too hard' when I woke up for maybe days or so. I stayed away from my workplace for a week.

I thought I might actually do everyone a favor if I spread this if it gives immunity to other variants. If this variant doesn't affect old people or people with underlying conditions any more than it affects me, then it would probably be worth it to get this bug than one of the older variants that shuts down people's lungs. If this light cold thing spreads throughout the world, we could have herd immunity pretty soon.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

MrMan wrote:
February 5th, 2022, 7:00 am
I tested positive for COVID. This is barely even a head cold. I've just been a little tired and I felt like I had slept 'too hard' when I woke up for maybe days or so. I stayed away from my workplace for a week.

I thought I might actually do everyone a favor if I spread this if it gives immunity to other variants. If this variant doesn't affect old people or people with underlying conditions any more than it affects me, then it would probably be worth it to get this bug than one of the older variants that shuts down people's lungs. If this light cold thing spreads throughout the world, we could have herd immunity pretty soon.
That's what used to happen when a flu was a flu, not a worldwide tragedy requiring tens of trillions of dollars worth of emergency measures.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

MrMan wrote:
I tested positive for COVID.
If you believe in covaids and the tests then you really should take the lethal injections. The deal is that everyone dumb enough to believe the bullshit takes the injections and dies whereas those who don't may live. If you are stupid enough to believe the bullshit but don't take the lethal injections then clearly you are bucking the system and this is not fair.
flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Post by flowerthief00 »

MrMan wrote:
Grandma-slayer!
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

flowerthief00 wrote:
February 5th, 2022, 1:03 pm
MrMan wrote:
Grandma-slayer!
'

Come on now. I am keeping away from other people until the recommended time passes.