Casu Marzu Cheese

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Casu Marzu Cheese

Post by Tsar »

Casu Marzu cheese

Allegedly, it's suppose to be really good.

Has @publicduende ever had the cheese before it was banned under EU food regulations? It's a cheese native to Sardinia.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Re: Casu Marzu Cheese

Post by Voyager1 »

Some of the best and most expensive cheeses are those that are moldy. I don't think though that I'd want to eat cheese crawling with worms.

You can also eat moldy bread and it won't do you harm.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Voyager1 wrote:
January 15th, 2022, 2:42 am
Some of the best and most expensive cheeses are those that are moldy. I don't think though that I'd want to eat cheese crawling with worms.

Mold is different than a worm. It's easy to see how mold can be edible.

The thought of eating insects is disgusting. I have had liquor with natural red coloring derived from insects but coloring from insects is different than eating whole insects or maggots.
Huddo
Freshman Poster

Post by Huddo »

Tsar wrote:
January 15th, 2022, 2:52 am
Voyager1 wrote:

The thought of eating insects is disgusting. I have had liquor with natural red coloring derived from insects but coloring from insects is different than eating whole insects or maggots.
Every time you eat bread your eating particles of white snails. Some years are worse than others, but grain crops world wide always have some contamination from this pest. On bad years I’ve seen the harvester bins oozing with crushed shells and slime.

https://www.pir.sa.gov.au/research/serv ... n_of_grain
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Huddo wrote:
January 15th, 2022, 8:01 am
Tsar wrote:
Voyager1 wrote:

Every time you eat bread your eating particles of white snails. Some years are worse than others, but grain crops world wide always have some contamination from this pest. On bad years I’ve seen the harvester bins oozing with crushed shells and slime.

I never heard about the white snails before because there aren't landsnails in North America. However, snails are a mollusk, and I believe that includes landsnails. Mollusks like snails are traditionally used as foods. The United States and Russia are the two largest wheat exporters.
Huddo
Freshman Poster

Post by Huddo »

Tsar wrote:
January 15th, 2022, 8:19 am
Huddo wrote:
January 15th, 2022, 8:01 am
Tsar wrote:
Voyager1 wrote:

I never heard about the white snails before because there aren't landsnails in North America. However, snails are a mollusk, and I believe that includes landsnails. Mollusks like snails are traditionally used as foods. The United States and Russia are the two largest wheat exporters.
They are in American crops. They were introduced in the early 1900’s
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Tsar wrote:
January 15th, 2022, 1:26 am
Casu Marzu cheese

Has @publicduende ever had the cheese before it was banned under EU food regulations? It's a cheese native to Sardinia.
Nope dude LOL I don't like any kind of mature cheese, I only stick to fresh one like mozzarella, ricotta, burrata, and few more. I like grated parmigiano and pecorino when it's mixed in the baked pasta or lasagna, as it melts and you can just tell it from the flavour.

Casu Marzu is an extreme version of moldy cheese, which is a staple in many countries including France, Spain and Portugal, and Italy. The presence of maggots is not just visually extreme, it's also a potential health hazard.

I understand tradition and all, but you can't have a product that is commercially viable and has a risk of getting 50% of its eaters in a hospital!

One of the few things, I believe, EU regulators did good to ban.