Alternative exercise regimes

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Alternative exercise regimes

Post by Cornfed »

In my quest to look like a fitness model, I want to supplement my garage improvised strength training routine. Anything I do would require minimal equipment, not much in the way of running and be easy on the joints. The obvious choices would be the hippy/girly options of yoga, pilates or taichi/qigong. I'll probably try yoga, but I would like other similar options and can't seem to find any. Does anyone know of lesser tried exercise types of a similar fashion?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Shemp
Experienced Poster

Re: Alternative exercise regimes

Post by Shemp »

Ever heard of calisthenics? Pushups, pullups/chinups, deep knee bend squat jumps and reverse lunges have been around forever. The first two can definitely destroy joints if done wrong. Also, nothing wimpy about some yoga poses. Back bridge or upward facing plank, in particular, are quite demanding, as is the one leg/one straight arm version of the side plank, if held for time. These work core muscles not worked by pushups. You'll also need something for the hip flexors. High knees running in place is a good choice (100 steps per side in about 75 seconds).

Additional yoga poses useful to add flexibility, which is as important as strength as you get older. 10 minutes calisthenics with no breaks between exercises, 15 minutes yoga per day is more than enough to stay in excellent shape.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Shemp wrote:
November 27th, 2021, 12:44 pm
Ever heard of calisthenics? Pushups, pullups/chinups, deep knee bend squat jumps and reverse lunges have been around forever.
That sort of thing is pretty much what I'm doing but I wanted to add something low impact. Yoga seems to be effective but a little silly and boring, so I would prefer some alternative. Since there doesn't seem to be any, I'll probably try yoga.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Cornfed wrote:
November 27th, 2021, 2:19 pm
Shemp wrote:
November 27th, 2021, 12:44 pm
Ever heard of calisthenics? Pushups, pullups/chinups, deep knee bend squat jumps and reverse lunges have been around forever.
That sort of thing is pretty much what I'm doing but I wanted to add something low impact. Yoga seems to be effective but a little silly and boring, so I would prefer some alternative. Since there doesn't seem to be any, I'll probably try yoga.
To answer my own question, the category of exercise I was looking for, which I previously didn't know existed, is called "mobility exercises". For example: