Why did HA go offline?

Post your suggestions and feedback for the forum. You can also report a problem, troubleshoot an issue with forum functionality, or suggest new board topics.
HappyGuy

Re: Did HA go offline?

Post by HappyGuy »

Winston wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 2:34 am
This time it was because our server space ran out of room. I'm not sure what's taking up so much space in the server. There should be 20 percent of the server space free. Apparently something is taking up that space now. I can't find out what it is. I looked in the file manager and found nothing suspicious. Odd.
Besides investing in more drives why don't you investigate who is lurking on your site? Bots will take down Happier Abroad if you don't do anything. And is there a way to allow Google and other search engine bots to access this site only every few days instead of 24 hours a day?
In total there are 106 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 100 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 683 on Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:06 am
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

You should always have at least 20 percent free disc space. - Unfortunately the forum was again offline for a while - happens now frequently.
Something has to be done about that, during the last weeks the forum was more offline than online...
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Yohan wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 9:42 am
You should always have at least 20 percent free disc space. - Unfortunately the forum was again offline for a while - happens now frequently.
Something has to be done about that, during the last weeks the forum was more offline than online...
I already fixed that. I found an extra backup on my server and also saw that the server log files were taking up a lot of space too. So I deleted them. There is about 30 percent free space in the server now, which is plenty. So this downtime shouldn't happen anymore. Sorry for being away for a while.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

HappyGuy wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 7:22 pm
Winston wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 2:34 am
This time it was because our server space ran out of room. I'm not sure what's taking up so much space in the server. There should be 20 percent of the server space free. Apparently something is taking up that space now. I can't find out what it is. I looked in the file manager and found nothing suspicious. Odd.
Besides investing in more drives why don't you investigate who is lurking on your site? Bots will take down Happier Abroad if you don't do anything. And is there a way to allow Google and other search engine bots to access this site only every few days instead of 24 hours a day?
In total there are 106 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 100 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 683 on Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:06 am
How would I find out who is lurking? Google Analytics will tell you where they are from and what browser they are using. But not who they are. Besides, a hacker will usually use a proxy to hide their identity. A bot can't take down a site unless there are thousands of them. Yes I think you can limit Google bot, but why would you want to do that? It's noninvasive. There are about 20 legit bots from search engines. They don't crash the forum or server memory unless they number over a thousand.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Announcement:

The forum was offline a couple of hours yesterday. But this time it was deliberate, because I was upgrading the forum from 3.2.2 to 3.2.8. It was a pain in the butt and stressful and resulted in unexplained errors, which took a while to fix and get help on. Man computers are such a pain in the butt. Why does everything always have to updated? Why can't they just leave it at a fixed stable version and not update everything all the time? Sheesh.

Anyway, it looks like the update is finally successful. Let me know if there are any bugs or issues with the new upgrade. See the announcement here:

http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/view ... 32#p332032

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Why did HA go offline?

Post by Winston »

Announcement:

The forum is now back online. It was down because the database crashed and was too corrupted to fix using the cpanel. So I had to create a ticket for my webhost upper level admins to fix it. It seems to work now. So try posting again.

Thanks,
Admin

Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

@Winston
Test to see if the forum is OK and ready for posting.
It seems to work, nothing missing. Thank you, Yohan
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

ATTENTION: It looks like all the posts made after July 7 are gone, because the forum was restored from the latest backup from that day. So please repost any post you made on July 7 or afterward. Thanks.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Email I received from Bluehost about restoring the forum:
Hello Winston,

Thank you for your reply. My name is Joshua and I am a Web Administrator with Bluehost. I am following up on this case regarding repairing your crashed table happier2_phpbbbackup/phpbb_posts.

Typically a crashed database table can be easily repaired, however, in this instance the repair is failing because phpbb_posts.MYD is missing from inside /var/lib/mysql/happier2_phpbbbackup. There may be non-traditional ways to repair the database from this state, however, this is not supported by Bluehost We would recommend you reach out to your server administrator or a MySQL developer for further assistance.

At this time the only supported resolution for this would be to restore your database from a backup. Since we do not have a valid backup for this database you would need to restore it from a local backup (one that is not generated by cPanel backups). I did check /home/happier2/public_html/forum/store and located a database backup from 7/7 backup_1657195374_zlbsrfly0orpog5l.sql.gz. I was able to create a new database happier2_phpbbbackup_restore and import the backup. It looks to be complete and imported successfully, however, since we did not create the backup we cannot guarantee the content of the backup.

After I imported the database backup to the new database I did confirm it generated the missing phpbb_posts.MYD file.

root@server.happierabroad.com [store]# ls -lah /var/lib/mysql/happier2_phpbbbackup_restore/phpbb_posts.MYD
-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 434M Jul 12 15:59 /var/lib/mysql/happier2_phpbbbackup_restore/phpbb_posts.MYD

After importing the backup I also went ahead and updated your site configuration file located in forum/config.php with the new database information (I made a backup of the file prior to updating the database information). I did check the site and it looks to be loading on my end. For instance: viewtopic.php?style=11&p=371305#p371305. Can you please confirm your site is now loading on your end?

As for downgrading your MySQL version, we would not be able to confirm that this would be able to repair the original database. Since phpbb_posts.MYD is missing I highly doubt it would. cPanel does not support the downgrading of your MySQL version, however, it is possible to do. Essentially you would back up your databases, remove the current install of MySQL and then install what version you would like. Since it is not supported by cPanel we also would not be able to offer assistance with this. More details can be found here: https://bit.ly/3uL7fB5

Regarding backups, this is a VPS server and is considered self-managed. Backups are taken based on your backup configuration within WHM > Backup Configuration. Any of your backups are stored on the server unless you have them configured to be stored externally. Right now it looks like backups are enabled, however, you have them disabled for your cPanel user. If you would like server backups to run then you would need to enable them for your cPanel user within WHM > Backup User Selection. You would want to make sure you have enough room for these backups to run.

Lastly, it looks like your server is very limited on storage and we would recommend you reduce your usage as if it reaches 100% usage services may go offline. You should be able to log in to your account and manage your content. You can click this link below for a full breakdown of your account:

https://privatebin.support-tools.com/?a ... Yqk9jjgUg=

Please let us know if you have any further questions by replying to this email.

Thank you,
Joshua C