You can travel for FREE! This book tells you how!

Share and recommend books and websites that you think are worth checking out.
Winston
Site Admin

You can travel for FREE! This book tells you how!

Post by Winston »

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1565543173?tag ... 2TT58XKP5N&

You Can Travel Free (Paperback)
by Robert William Kirk (Author)

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the typical traveler, December 10, 2002
By Charles McCool (RESTON, Virginia USA) - See all my reviews

Almost 500 pages of mostly unconventional methods for securing free or nearly free travel. Topics include home exchange, house and boat sitting, tour hosting, auto driveaway, hitchhiking, bicycling, volunteering, working, scholarships and awards, travel careers, and much more. Excellent section on free travel resources. Air strategies are frequent flyer benefits, bumping, contests, and asking (and perhaps find a private pilot that will let you hitch). Highly recommended.

Reviewed October 2001 by Charles McCool on LowerAirfares.com

4.0 out of 5 stars "Most of us like "freebies" when it comes to travel!", April 25, 2004

By Norman Goldman "Editor of Bookpleasures.com" (Montreal) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER) (REAL NAME)

Most of us like "freebies" especially when it comes to travel. However, how do you travel for free or for very little money?
Robert Wm Kirk's guidebook, You can Travel Free, is an extremely comprehensive and fact filled guidebook presenting useful strategies and methods that have been employed by those who roam far and frequently-without paying.

The book is divided into seventeen chapters featuring tips, ideas, reference sources, experiences, and guidance. Within these chapters we are introduced to such topics as free accommodations, free ship cruising, hosting group tours, free land transportation, airline freebies, volunteering, working vacations, sightseeing for free, and how to receive scholarships and grants to travel free.
Each chapter begins with a brief quotation that the author appropriately refers to as, "McCheap's" laws.

The author's first law of travel is "the less money you spend at any destination, the more enjoyable the experience." If you think about this rule for a moment you will probably immediately remember that your most enjoyable vacations were those you had incurred the least expense.
The second law introducing the "Free Accommodations" chapter states, "if you paid anything at all for your last vacation you may have paid too much."

Reading these rules, you pretty much get the idea of the book's major theme. A combination of ingenuity, information and the right strategy are all that is required to travel the globe without having to go into debt.
As a concrete example, in the chapter dealing with free accommodations we are informed as to how we can vacation without paying for the cost of a hotel or motel. Immediately the reader is hooked? Is there such a thing as a "free lunch" when it comes to accommodations?

We are not only informed of the possibility of house swapping that many of us are aware of, but we are also provided with a very extensive list of sources where we may be able to find individuals willing to swap their houses with us.
Did you know that there are empty farmhouses, fishermen's dwellings, and deserted boathouses available for public use in Norway? Are you aware of an organization named Seniors Abroad and by joining, travelers who are 50 and over can be guests of seniors in other countries? These are a tiny miniscule of the invaluable tips and secrets found throughout the book.

Apart from free or low cost accommodations, we are also informed of the many free or inexpensive attractions scattered throughout the world. Have you ever heard of free bikes? The author tells us that in Copenhagen bikes can be used without paying. One thousand "city bikes" are available.

Finally, an added feature is the last chapter entitled "A Wealth of Free Information" where we are presented with over twenty five pages of names, addresses, phone numbers, and web addresses of many organizations as well as publications that reinforce McCheap's seventeenth law of travel: "learning as much as you can about your destinations costs nothing, and can make your free travels a success." The book is well worth its money for anyone who is desirous of knowing how to travel on a very low budget. You Can Travel Free

Norm Goldman Editor of Bookpleasures.com
adam917
Freshman Poster

Post by adam917 »

How up-to-date is this book? I see dates of 2002 & 2004 shown in that post and wonder if purchasing something like this is worth it given how much stuff like names, address, or numbers may change over four years (2004).
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

adam917 wrote:How up-to-date is this book? I see dates of 2002 & 2004 shown in that post and wonder if purchasing something like this is worth it given how much stuff like names, address, or numbers may change over four years (2004).
W: Good question. If you go to the book's link above, you can see more reviews. The reviews I posted were rated the most helpful ones, not the most recent ones.

I'm sure that even if the contact info were outdated, the method and principles and strategy still apply. I've used some of them myself.