American PhDs On Foodstamps

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Nows a good time to drop out of college.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-01-0 ... foodstamps
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Re: American PhDs On Foodstamps

Post by OutWest »

Taco wrote:Nows a good time to drop out of college.

So she has a PHD in feminist art and now she is unemployed? There are a ton of people out there getting stupid degrees...would be interesting to see the breakdown by discipline.

outwest
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I have a science PhD. Jobs were hard to come by in my field, so I rolled up my sleeves and taught myself programming.

Well that was a smart move, as I now have enough money to go and live in Asia for years :)
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

xiongmao wrote:I have a science PhD. Jobs were hard to come by in my field, so I rolled up my sleeves and taught myself programming.

Well that was a smart move, as I now have enough money to go and live in Asia for years :)
After my first Masters (in networks and Internet communications, which was all the fuzz back 12 years ago) I had somebody offering me an EPSRC scholarship for a PhD in the same field, and I declined. With hindsight, that's one of the best thing I have ever done in my life. The only reason to embark in a PhD is to pay your dues to your supervisor and, in selected and lucky cases, have him help you starting a career in the academia.
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

it's actually a great time to be in college because there are no good jobs anyways, so rather than complain you might as well improve your resume to improve chances of getting something later (perhaps abroad). second of all, if you are a full-time student (not working to pay bills), it gives you free time to start a business. "poor" college students on financial aid live better than a lot of people who work. college is a scam, but if you are an average-joe you might as well get in on the scam or risk being homeless and starving because asians with college degrees took all the jobs.
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

Cornfed wrote:The problem with that approach is the crushing student debt you will likely run up.
First of all, if you go to an average school, especially a state one, and took out a loan you will not be that much in debt.

Second of all, who the f**k cares? Which would a smart person choose if given a choice:

a) extremely limited employment options (with less job security and a much higher risk of poverty/homelessness)

b) much better salary but having to pay off a small portion of your paycheck every month to debt, just as you already pay into social security, taxes, etc

Moreover, it's called FINANCIAL AID. Many people are in college because it pays better than working at McDonalds, and they might work part-time at Starbucks on the side.

You can use your US degree to work abroad. Say you make a bunch of money in China and the US dollar continues to lose value. You could quickly pay off your college debt. I hate what the Jews have done to western education but it's pretty obvious that it's Jews (like Peter Schiff) who are trying to get White men NOT to go to college so they can even more completely subvert western society.

If you're going to be a mindless follower you might as well go get a degree or two because you will have a far easier life with more ability to travel. I'm not saying college is the answer to all your problems. I actually don't advocate it for most 18 year olds straight out of high school. But pushing the idea that avoiding college will bring you a successful life is f***ing retarded. Hard work brings success.

College is the easier path for those not smart or not hard working enough to do it themselves. Contrary to popular belief, memorizing a bunch of bullshit is not a sign of intelligence, and going to school is not more difficult than going to a soul-crushing job every day. On the one hand getting a college education has less risk than taking on the world by yourself. On the one hand you will be given a job you will likely loathe after you graduate. But it's still better than getting a job you loathe and not making enough to survive comfortably.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I was on a scholarship for my PhD - it didn't cost me a penny. It wasn't a huge amount, but I've always lived within my means.

Doing a PhD was great fun. It was hard work but I wouldn't say it was particularly difficult. With no lectures and no exams you have a lot of freedom.

Education also opens doors. It is social proof that you're educated, and that's how society works.

Skills-wise, well you have to bear in mind that the job I got when I graduated (web developer) didn't actually exist while I was studying at Uni. That's why a PhD's soft skills are so useful.

If I hadn't already done one, then I might have applied to do a PhD in Asia. It would be a great way of getting a visa and having a wonderous experience in another country. PhD's aren't too expensive to get in China, although I don't know if anywhere allows you to study in English.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

odbo wrote:

it's actually a great time to be in college because there are no good jobs anyways, so rather than complain you might as well improve your resume to improve chances of getting something later (perhaps abroad). second of all, if you are a full-time student (not working to pay bills), it gives you free time to start a business. "poor" college students on financial aid live better than a lot of people who work. college is a scam, but if you are an average-joe you might as well get in on the scam or risk being homeless and starving because asians with college degrees took all the jobs.
It's a great time to be in college...but not in America, where degrees are overrated and overly expensive. Sweden has degrees taught in English with heavily subsidises fees even for people outisde national and EU borders. As XM said too, degrees in Asia are a lot cheaper and probably just as rigorous as those taught in the US. A full year in a good university in the Philippines is only about $1000, which goes to $3000 for a top-tier private college.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Yeah, there are some great education opportunities in Asia. However, the language barrier is the biggest problem. Some places are teaching in English now, but they're in the minority.

The biggest problem would be getting your Asian degree recognised back home. However, if you wanted to study language or Asian studies or something then it would be 100x better to do these in Asia.

If you want to study at a higher level then Asia has some good opportunities for MA's and MBA's.

I'm not sure about the MBA path for me but I've found out there's an MBA careers day in London at the end of the month so I'll go and check things out. I'm just happy being a programmer really - kids today just want to be pop stars or work in the media and geeky stuff is just not fashionable.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

xiongmao wrote:Yeah, there are some great education opportunities in Asia. However, the language barrier is the biggest problem. Some places are teaching in English now, but they're in the minority.

The biggest problem would be getting your Asian degree recognised back home. However, if you wanted to study language or Asian studies or something then it would be 100x better to do these in Asia.

If you want to study at a higher level then Asia has some good opportunities for MA's and MBA's.

I'm not sure about the MBA path for me but I've found out there's an MBA careers day in London at the end of the month so I'll go and check things out. I'm just happy being a programmer really - kids today just want to be pop stars or work in the media and geeky stuff is just not fashionable.
Universities in the Philippines aren't too bad at all, and all their degrees are taught in English. By the way, I am sorry your plans to move to China have been forcefully delayed by a few months. Usual red (quite fitting colour) tape...
terminator
Junior Poster

Post by terminator »

I agree with the OP - you're likely to regret doing your degree unless you can use it for a job e.g. medicine. nursing, etc. Other than these disciplines, the chances of an average student getting a well paid job is very low.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

xiongmao wrote:Yeah, there are some great education opportunities in Asia. However, the language barrier is the biggest problem. Some places are teaching in English now, but they're in the minority.

What are you talking about? Zuckerberg and Silicon Valley are all the rage.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Lol. If it was popular then there would be 1000's of applicants for programming jobs.