Are there any countries that fit these variables?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Are there any countries that fit these variables?

Post by yick »

Yohan wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 9:01 am
yick wrote:
September 1st, 2021, 10:54 pm
I wouldn't mind the Philippines, Malaysia would still be no.1 for me but the Philippines is more like a Latin American country than as Asian one, I would gel with the culture a lot better than I would in Thailand and my pension would increase as the UK and the Philippines have an agreement where the UK pension isn't frozen. I wouldn't know where to live though, Yohan - any good suggestions?
Malaysia/Singapore are not a good place for retirement for an ordinary single Western citizen, even not for a married couple.
The requirements regarding money and buying your own accommodation - even in case of condominium and not owning land+a large house on it - are too restrictive. This is only really a place for the rich people with large families.

Thailand and Philippines are not bad for Western men with a reasonable retirement allowance (should be USD 2000,-+ per month, or at least with a local time deposit in a bank USD 30.000,- or so) however private health insurance is not cheap and now obligatory for retirement visa.

Before all this covid-19 disaster it was easy to move between Thailand and Philippines, daily cheap flights

About Laos - it is a bit an emply place and not visa-friendly for longterm.

About Cambodia - very nice people and not difficult to stay even for one year, but there are only a few cities and what I have seen while visiting it from Thailand a few times, it is getting boring - but a good get-away when running out of time in Thailand and Philippines.

Indonesia: I have no experience/knowledge about this country.

Japan can be also nice, but there is no retirement visa, only permanent residence and this takes several years to get permission for it - however any foreigner can buy a condominium anywhere in Japan in own name, even a tourist. Japan will give most citizens of Western countries a tourist visa for 3 months, 2 times (just less than half year totally) but after you have to leave for half year to somewhere else abroad.
Living outside of the large cities in Japan is not expensive at all, very safe - but there are other issues like medical insurance (Japanese national insurance is not available for tourists) etc. Not easy for long-stay permit if you come here AFTER retirement and never had any job/relationship with Japan before.

Nothing is perfect here in Asia... many Europeans, who are within EU-zone, prefer to retire within EU, in cheap places like Greece, Portugal, Bulgaria ....

Unfortunately UK decided to exit the EU - this makes it now more difficult for retirement in Continental Europe.
We will see what is after covid-19. At this moment the entire world is a mess.
The recent changes to the MM2H scheme where the Malaysian government have just shafted thousands of people who took their word that their ongoing visa was renewable as much as a certainty once their current visa expired just goes to show that it is a government not to be trusted now or ever - a pity really because I like Malaysia a lot! Maybe because I am British and there seems to be cultural similarities to it but there would be no way I would invest my life in a country where they could do something like that to the expats who already live there and have invested there.

Japan would be a great choice but like you said, there isn't a retirement visa for grabs there - the rest of them seem to have their pros and cons but I think the best place for me in Asia would be the Philippines but the reality is none of them offer an PR or citizenship which means I can be turfed out at any time which means I won't be investing my life into any of them.

Brexit has put a big spanner in the works for a lot of Brits but Brexit is coming home to roost in a lot of ways - there are now big shortages of basic goods in the shops and in the likes of hardware materials and trades such as lorry drivers and medical staff, the folly of Brexit (and the cretins that voted for this stupidity) is that some people thought they didn't need the EU and foreign labour and now it seems that we do... a lot!

My guess is by the time I retire - freedom of movement around Europe will be on again for Brits which will be good news for me because my first choice is to retire in Spain. Latin America would be second because I have citizenship but at least they offer citizenship but at the moment no Asian country offers that which makes it a poor third...

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

yick wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 8:41 pm
.... I think the best place for me in Asia would be the Philippines but the reality is none of them offer an PR or citizenship which means I can be turfed out at any time which means I won't be investing my life into any of them.
Philippines offers long-stay for retirement,
related government website, with contact information

https://pra.gov.ph
Philippine Retirement Authority

https://pra.gov.ph/srrv/#qualifications

SRRV CLASSIC
For active/healthy retirees, who opt to use their SRR Visa deposit into active investment such as the purchase of condominium unit* or long term lease of house & lot. The SRR Visa deposit is as follows:

•50 years old & above: US$ 10,000.00 (with a pension)**

US$ 20,000.00 (without pension)

*The value of the property must at least be US$50,000.00

**Required pension of at least US$ 800 for single / US$1,000 for couple

--------------------------------------------------------

Philippines, I can speak only about Cebu, has a criminality problem. It is a good idea not to rent a house, but to BUY a condominium unit in a secure building...safe against robbery, burglary, flood etc.

There are plenty of real estate brokers, and all is in English,
Cebu is more expensive than Pattaya. USD 50.000,- are easily used up for a small condo-unit, around 25m2 in good location.
Last edited by Yohan on September 12th, 2021, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Yohan wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 8:58 pm
yick wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 8:41 pm
.... I think the best place for me in Asia would be the Philippines but the reality is none of them offer an PR or citizenship which means I can be turfed out at any time which means I won't be investing my life into any of them.
Philippines offers long-stay for retirement,
related government website, with contact information

https://pra.gov.ph
Philippine Retirement Authority

https://pra.gov.ph/srrv/#qualifications

SRRV CLASSIC
For active/healthy retirees, who opt to use their SRR Visa deposit into active investment such as the purchase of condominium unit* or long term lease of house & lot. The SRR Visa deposit is as follows:

•50 years old & above: US$ 10,000.00 (with a pension)**

US$ 20,000.00 (without pension)

*The value of the property must at least be US$50,000.00

**Required pension of at least US$ 800 for single / US$1,000 for couple
That would be OK if I had no other options but thankfully I do and I don't trust the Philippine government not to f**k me over like the Malaysians have done to their expat retirees.

Saying that, it is probably the best bet in Asia!
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Philippines retirement rules did not change much during more than 30 years.

About Malaysia nothing is decided yet, but it was never visa-friendly for longstay for ordinary single Western foreigners.
You have to belong to a rich family clan, Chinese, Indian, Arab etc.
The only solution I see with Malaysia in future is 2 x 3 months in and out again to somewhere else.

In Japan you need to arrive at least 10 years before retirement and work here, retirement is only OK after long-stay/marriage/ etc.
I was never on a spouse visa in Japan (did not exist when I arrived) but always with a working permit until receiving permanent residence status.
Japan is one of the few Asian countries you can trust, if you ask me - when you are permanent it is for life and with reasonable health insurance, unlimited working permit and allowed to buy any house/land or condominium unit for own living and business in your own name - but it takes time...

Thailand retirement visa from now on is unclear too. They want retired foreigners to have a health insurance, but Thai insurance companies refuse foreigners who are 70+ old....or asking for a horrible high insurance premium.

Maybe Thailand in future, same as Malaysia, take a tourist visa 2 x 2 months instead of retirement visa and then move on to elsewhere....
What is good in Thailand, you can buy your condo unit, no price limits, even as a tourist with a 30 days visa waiver and rooms/maintenance fees are cheaper than anywhere else in that region.

Most people I know from Europe keep a small room in their own name in Europe as their primary residence/address to keep the right for health insurance/retirement allowances etc. and to have a place to stay if they need to leave Asia. I do the same with Japan - if there is any problem in Thailand like now, or Philippines, I can always stay in Japan and wait it out.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

@yick

There are also other destinations in Asia you can stay long term. Not mentioned before I guess.

My younger daughter travelled several times to NEPAL, and like that country so much.
While I preferred to stay in Thailand in our own rooms, my daughter continued to NEPAL several times, easy from Bangkok.

NEPAL also offers long stay and residence permit.
No restrictions, but visa fees for residency permit are not so cheap... not sure however how long is this visa valid. One year or longer?

https://www.immigration.gov.np/page/residential-visa

--------------

VIETNAM is also sometimes mentioned for retirement, but I have no personal experience about living there, no idea about long stay visa and I don't know anybody there...
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Thanks for the heads up @Yohan but it will probably be somewhere in Spain or Latin America... I look like a local and I am conversant with the culture... Nepal must be beautiful but I am not a mountains guy to be honest, anywhere in Asia, probably the Philippines would be the best bet.