Are Travel Agents worth the cost? Why does anyone use them?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Winston
Site Admin

Are Travel Agents worth the cost? Why does anyone use them?

Post by Winston »

I was wondering something. Every time I go into a travel agency the packages they are promoting on the wall look very expensive. Why would anyone pay that much? Isn't it much cheaper to go online and buy a plane ticket with your credit card and then use Agoda or Trip.com app to book your hotel and then wing it from there? Or book a cheap hostel from Hostels.com or HostelWorld.com and then wing it from there? Lots of people do it that way, it's easier than you think. It's not like something is gonna kill you.

Why do many Americans need everything planned for them in a package, with every hotel stay arranged in advance according to a strict schedule? I seen some of my American Eurasian cousins do it that way, as if they are paranoid that if everything is not planned, then chaos will occur. It's irrational paranoia of course. I've driven around America and just stayed in any Motel 6 I could find, or even free or cheap campgrounds, for months. It's so easy and effortless. So why do some people need a package where everything is arranged in a strict schedule, as if chaos will occur if they don't do that. lol. So strange. Why are some people full of paranoia 24/7 and super uptight, like you see with many Americans and Taiwanese too? I've never understood that. It feels so uptight and low vibration. People like that have negative uptight vibes that make me feel uncomfortable because it chokes my freespirit nature.

Have any of you ever used a travel agent? If so, was it worth it? What's the benefit and advantage vs doing it all on your own?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Re: Are Travel Agents worth the cost? Why does anyone use them?

Post by Voyager1 »

Sometimes it's better to go with a travel agent as they have access to hotel rates, charter airfares, etc. that you don't. Plus usually in these packages an airport transfer to your hotel is included. Who wants to haggle with taxi drivers at the airport? I just like to get into a nice air conditioned bus and go with the group to the hotel.

So it depends really. Sometimes it's better to use an agent.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Yes but you pay a lot more for all that right? Getting from the airport to your hotel is easy. Just get on a bus or train or shuttle. Sometimes there is a subway under the airport too, like there is in Hong Kong or Europe. If you have light luggage, then it's not as big a deal. Taxi drivers should use the meter so nothing to haggle, unless they are independent.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

No you don't. You pay a lot less because these tour companies have special rates with hotels and airlines that you can't get on your own or even directly with the resort.

Once I was staying at a resort in the Caribbean through a package I got. Then I asked the front desk how much it would be per night to stay longer and it was a whole lot more than the rate I paid through the tour company.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Winston wrote:
August 4th, 2021, 5:01 am
I was wondering something. Every time I go into a travel agency the packages they are promoting on the wall look very expensive. Why would anyone pay that much? Isn't it much cheaper to go online and buy a plane ticket with your credit card and then use Agoda or Trip.com app to book your hotel and then wing it from there? Or book a cheap hostel from Hostels.com or HostelWorld.com and then wing it from there? Lots of people do it that way, it's easier than you think. It's not like something is gonna kill you.

Why do many Americans need everything planned for them in a package, with every hotel stay arranged in advance according to a strict schedule? I seen some of my American Eurasian cousins do it that way, as if they are paranoid that if everything is not planned, then chaos will occur. It's irrational paranoia of course. I've driven around America and just stayed in any Motel 6 I could find, or even free or cheap campgrounds, for months. It's so easy and effortless. So why do some people need a package where everything is arranged in a strict schedule, as if chaos will occur if they don't do that. lol. So strange. Why are some people full of paranoia 24/7 and super uptight, like you see with many Americans and Taiwanese too? I've never understood that. It feels so uptight and low vibration. People like that have negative uptight vibes that make me feel uncomfortable because it chokes my freespirit nature.

Have any of you ever used a travel agent? If so, was it worth it? What's the benefit and advantage vs doing it all on your own?
I have probably only seen a few travel agencies offices in the past 10 years. In the 90's, that's what you did to buy a ticket. You went to the travel agent. I was able to find a bulk discounter and call an 800 number and get a deal once, but if you missed the flight, you were in trouble. I got a ticket for just over $700 to Jakarta around 1997. But to fly back, I went to a travel agent and they tried to find me a deal.

But these days, it's online. I don't think many people go to travel agents unless they want some kind of specialized fancy tour and are willing to pay the big bucks.

For those of us who are price conscious... yeah, buy the ticket online and book some kind of hotel through one of the sites.

Btw, here is a trick to save money. When I was in Jakarta, if I tried to book a Singapore hotel, the minimum price was $100 sing. But if I booked it in rupiah, the prices could be cheaper. You might get a deal if you change currencies.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

MrMan wrote:
August 5th, 2021, 8:21 pm
But these days, it's online. I don't think many people go to travel agents
It may be going back to using travel agents with the covid nonsense as online deals can't always be trusted, particularly if you are going to a non-standard destination and want travel insurance that will actually pay out.