Anyone here divorced? With kids or no kids?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Anyone here divorced? With kids or no kids?

Post by chanta76 »

Hello,

Curious to know how many posters here were married and now divorce ? How was that like? do you have kids? who has custody?
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Re: anyone here divorce ? with kidds or no kids

Post by starchild5 »

Im safe,but know a lot of people divorce, with kids and miserable :shock: :shock:
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

I think you can assume that most guys by a certain age are divorced. I have 2 kids: college and HS.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Post by gnosis »

starchild5 wrote:Im safe,but know a lot of people divorce, with kids and miserable :shock: :shock:
Even in India?
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

davewe,

I'm just guessing. Guys who got divorce might feel bitter from their failed marriage and this may explain why they might go overseas for a second chance.

But what about the kids? I'm married right now and thinking of having a kid. I realize if my marriage goes south it's best not to have a kid. Just go our separate ways but with a kid it' complicates matters. I know I am overthinking things but my wife is from overseas. I asked her if our marriage failed and we have a child what would be the option. She would take our kid back to her native country which is South Korea in this case. I don't know. I don't know if I be good father but if I did make a baby I would want to know how the child come out and would want some input.

So for the guys who had kids and are divorce. Did the exwife take it all? and you couldn't see your kids?
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

chanta76 wrote:davewe,

I'm just guessing. Guys who got divorce might feel bitter from their failed marriage and this may explain why they might go overseas for a second chance.

But what about the kids? I'm married right now and thinking of having a kid. I realize if my marriage goes south it's best not to have a kid. Just go our separate ways but with a kid it' complicates matters. I know I am overthinking things but my wife is from overseas. I asked her if our marriage failed and we have a child what would be the option. She would take our kid back to her native country which is South Korea in this case. I don't know. I don't know if I be good father but if I did make a baby I would want to know how the child come out and would want some input.

So for the guys who had kids and are divorce. Did the exwife take it all? and you couldn't see your kids?
There is often a "bitter phase" but ultimately I got out of that (mostly). I don't think you can have a healthy relationship again while still dominated by bitterness. But I would agree that the experience of marriage in the West can be a motivation for looking elsewhere.

As for kids and ex, well the stories run the gamut. I had my kids 50%, so that worked out. Did she get it all? No. I got the bills :)
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

The divorce rate in the US for second marriages is 60%. For third marriages, it's 70%.

If your first marriage doesn't work out, any subsequent marriage will probably not work out either.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

jamesbond wrote:The divorce rate in the US for second marriages is 60%. For third marriages, it's 70%.

If your first marriage doesn't work out, any subsequent marriage will probably not work out either.
Which roughly equates to these people being either a)No good in relationships b)Stupid :mrgreen:
lisapull
Freshman Poster

Re: Anyone here divorced? With kids or no kids?

Post by lisapull »

Divorce is a very sad and difficult process for both of them. When I got divorced, it lasted a long and painful time!
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

jamesbond wrote:
August 14th, 2016, 8:58 am
The divorce rate in the US for second marriages is 60%. For third marriages, it's 70%.
This is an old thread, but indeed nothing changed to the better.

Your second marriage might work out only if you are willing and able to relocate to another country and start a new life with entire new people.
Otherwise no way!
SheilaPatt
Freshman Poster

Re: Anyone here divorced? With kids or no kids?

Post by SheilaPatt »

I divorced my husband after 11 years of marriage. We have two kids. I can say that after the divorce, my life and the life of my children has only improved. And I really regret that it didn't happen sooner. For all these years we have not acquired anything in common, so we did not need to divide the property. I got custody of the children, he did not even try to defend his right to it. The divorce was processed in the easiest way that I found. I chose this option because I did not have money for a lawyer, and there were no reasons why I could need his help. Everything was simple and trivial. I moved with the children first to my parents, then I found a job and we rented a separate apartment for ourselves. Everything is great, really. And from my own experience and from the experience of my friends, I can say that divorce often leads to an improvement in life than to its deterioration.