Learning Language In Other Countries?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Learning Language In Other Countries?

Post by Wolfeye »

Hey, everyone. How do I go about learning languages in other countries? Are schools common? I remember there being something called "immigrant services" in Canada that would help people out with learning French & doing their paperwork stuff- is there something like that in other countries? I pick things up quick, but sometimes it's hard to find good information on that (explaining what the sounds would be, the workings of the language, real-world useage, etc...).

I'm hoping that the Czech Republic (and Slovakia, I didn't forget!) have this, as well as Spain & Portugal. Actually, I'm hoping that a lot of countries have this- but those seem to be the likely candidates for now. Mainly the Eastern European places, these days- although Portugal seems like it's in good shape. I'm not sure about Spain with this new "Gag Law" & also it seems that southern Spain is getting more of that migrant bullshit than one hears about in the media. Part of why I like the Eastern European places- they aren't putting up with this shit like the other places are.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on January 13th, 2020, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
drealm
Junior Poster

Re: Learning Language In Other Countries?

Post by drealm »

There are private places like Berlitz, they are good but expensive. You can usually request whatever language you want and they somehow find someone in the area to tutor you 1 on 1.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

See, the thing is that I'm not looking for regimented language-learning (for instance: I remember hearing about a place where they spoke only that language as an immersion thing, but they'd kick you out & not give you a refund if you spoke English- lots of possible conflicts of interest there & learning obstacles). I like the way some languages work, but it's hard to get things explained in detail & there's a problem finding things out about other countries in America. It's kind of like you luck into a good language book or something, but usually don't find much in the way of elaborating on things in general.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on January 12th, 2020, 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Seems like good advice. How far do you have to go to be able to have an argument in the language? I ask because if the need arises, it would possibly be an important skill to have & I figure once you're at that level you'll be able to handle regular conversation or pick things up on the news easily enough. I was basically wondering if one can get that way from books & hearing things pronounced in songs/tv/etc... ?