Better way to leave US than becoming an English teacher?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
luoldeng9
Freshman Poster

Better way to leave US than becoming an English teacher?

Post by luoldeng9 »

delete
Last edited by luoldeng9 on December 16th, 2012, 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
targetguy
Freshman Poster

rental

Post by targetguy »

8) If you can afford it may be a good idea to buy a rental in the us and elsewhere with realestate at a all time low and that will be a steady income.
no scammers
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

Since you are Korean, teaching English is Korea could be a good idea. The pay rates there are suppose to be decent.

Check out this board.

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/

Since you are already in school, you should consider getting licensed as a teacher. If you are a licensed teacher, you can go oversees and teach other subjects, besides English, and you will make more money. This is probably the most practical education for escaping America.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

There are wealthy Asian women over the age of 30 yrs. that would be happy to marry you make you their legalized sex slave/husband(I'm not joking), you'll never have to work again. I've met some of them online, and I might of considered it as a career but they just came on to me too strong.
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Hero_of_Men »

Taco wrote:There are wealthy Asian women over the age of 30 yrs. that would be happy to marry you make you their legalized sex slave/husband(I'm not joking), you'll never have to work again. I've met some of them online, and I might of considered it as a career but they just came on to me too strong.
Where do you find some of these women? Or are you smoking some of that good stuff (chronic) again? Whatever you're smoking; I'll have some.
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...
luoldeng9
Freshman Poster

Post by luoldeng9 »

It just occurred to me that another option would be to just take a menial type of job, like working at a supermarket or restaurant. That way, I would get more of a chance to use my foreign language skills daily and I won't have to be surrounded by western females as English teacher coworkers or others who are interested in American culture. What do you guys think?
emh
Freshman Poster

Post by emh »

luoldeng9 wrote:It just occurred to me that another option would be to just take a menial type of job, like working at a supermarket or restaurant. That way, I would get more of a chance to use my foreign language skills daily and I won't have to be surrounded by western females as English teacher coworkers or others who are interested in American culture. What do you guys think?
Not gonna happen. Why would a grocery store or restaurant in another country hire a foreigner when they can just as easily hire a local? Not to mention that they're legally required to hire a local unless they can prove that the skills they need aren't available locally. And even if you somehow managed to pull it off, you wouldn't make enough to pay the bills. Your programming/engineer skills are equally worthless. Too many locals already have those skills. You basically have three choices for Japan/Korea:

1) Teach english. Best source of info is the forums at www.eslcafe.com Note that Korean companies are required to pay your airfare which is a pretty nice perk. Japan can be hard cause you'll need to pay several months rent up front to rent a place (which could be $3-5,000).

2) Get a job at a hostel. Doesn't pay much but they generally give you a place to sleep.

3) Get a job in the US with an international company and work out a transfer after you've established yourself.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

English teacher is the fastest. You don't need to speak any foreign language. In fact, it is a wise man's way out. Everything else ( except working online) is harder if not downright impossible.
I once was in your shoes desperately searching for a way out, I did lots of research, looked into Int' law and foreign service and international business and it was a problem everywhere. I chose ESL because it was the only way at that time. And it still is now( outside of online work).
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Teaching ESL is probably the fastest but it became much more competitive because of the global market. Plus if your Korean -American trying to teach in Korea it's like a double edge sword. Most of the Hagwons prefer white people because they think only white people make better ESL teachers.

But as a Korean American you should be able to get a F-4 visa. It means you can stay in Korea for 2 years even if you don't have work. With an F-4 visa it gives you some equal standings to get an ESL job in Korea. In other Asian countries it's a different ball game but for Asian faces you have to work twice as hard because most of the Asian schools over there prefer white looking people.

Since your working on your master. You can always try to apply for a regular job in South Korea. It doesn't hurt to try. In some cases the regular job will give you a better standing. It's because most ESL teachers are kind of look down upon at least in South Korea. You have an year. My advice is take some language classes or try to study Korean or Japanese. If you can speak it just so-so it will help so much. Plus I'm not to familiar about your Master degree but if it relates to programming . You might have better chance.
ph_visitor
Freshman Poster

Post by ph_visitor »

chanta76 wrote:Teaching ESL is probably the fastest but it became much more competitive because of the global market.
It isn't. I don't know of anyone turned down to be an ESL Teacher.
If you apply, you get a job somewhere. If you have a degree, you can get a job in Korea.
The quality of the people who teach english, when one looks at their social skills, grooming habits, dress sense, alcohol consumption rate and other anti-social factors, is so low that anyone can get a job no matter what.

I look at collections of teachers and think that if these people all have degrees and behave like this, then anyone can get hired to teach ESL.
You can always try to apply for a regular job in South Korea. It doesn't hurt to try. In some cases the regular job will give you a better standing.
Great idea. If you wish to teach, take your Masters and then teach that subject. IB, Internationa and University Schools all look for focused degrees in a field to teach a subject, and the pay is about the same as in the USA. Depending on where you go you will be able to get free room and utilities.
It's because most ESL teachers are kind of look down upon at least in South Korea.
This is true everywhere and mostly it's based upon the truth - that is, the locals see how the ESL Teachers behave, and draw their own conclusions.

Conclusions that are, for the most part, completely accurate and spot on.

If you wish to be one of the few teachers who is professional in attitude, demeanour and dress, the locals will very quickly figure this out about you and you will be treated better, differently, and given more plumb jobs and privates, than the others.[/quote]
luoldeng9
Freshman Poster

Post by luoldeng9 »

delete
Last edited by luoldeng9 on December 16th, 2012, 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

luoldeng9 wrote:Thanks for the replies. I just recently considered maybe doing an intensive language program. Then once I speak the language fluently, I could go look for a technical job. What do you guys think of these programs? I'm 24 years old, so I'll probably be the oldest one there. Seems like I missed the deadlines for most of them to start in the summer, so I'll have to wait until September or October to start at the soonest
Yes, acquiring fluency per language increases your intelligence quotient that much more. Which technical strengths do you possess?

Just do not become a self-hating, mow-mouthed charlatan like ph_visitor. He still has the commonwealth stronghold resonating inside of him.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
TruthOrConsequences
Freshman Poster

Try the French Foreign Legion

Post by TruthOrConsequences »

Try the 'Legion Etrangere'. They're always recruiting.

http://www.legion-recrute.com/en/
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Try the French Foreign Legion

Post by Taco »

TruthOrConsequences wrote:Try the 'Legion Etrangere'. They're always recruiting.

http://www.legion-recrute.com/en/
They'll hire people right out of prison too.
ph_visitor
Freshman Poster

Post by ph_visitor »

E_Irizarry wrote:Just do not become a self-hating, mow-mouthed charlatan like ph_visitor. He still has the commonwealth stronghold resonating inside of him.
Insults and no content means that you have lost the argument before it has begun.