Employment in the Philippines?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
ExpeditionSailor
Freshman Poster

Employment in the Philippines?

Post by ExpeditionSailor »

Hello all,

I've been having some success on Cherry Blossoms and I'm now seriously considering the possibility of relocating to the Philippines. I'm nearly 50, about
ten years away from retirement and have a good job in a government office. If I relocate, I wonder if I would be able to find work that would
pay well enough to allow me to contribute to a pension plan until I retire.

I have 20 years in where I work, but it's not enough time to let me immediately draw a full pension, and even at age 60 (retirement age), it won't be quite enough to
live on here in Canada. It might be enough to let me get by in the Philippines or even Thailand, but I want to do better than 'just get by'. The idea of
contributing to a pension while in the Philippines, of course, is to offset any shortfall in my existing pension fund.

Advice, anyone?
davewe
Experienced Poster

Re: Employment in the Philippines?

Post by davewe »

ExpeditionSailor wrote:Hello all,

I've been having some success on Cherry Blossoms and I'm now seriously considering the possibility of relocating to the Philippines. I'm nearly 50, about
ten years away from retirement and have a good job in a government office. If I relocate, I wonder if I would be able to find work that would

I have 20 years in where I work, but it's not enough time to let me immediately draw a full pension, and even at age 60 (retirement age), it won't be quite enough to
live on here in Canada. It might be enough to let me get by in the Philippines or even Thailand, but I want to do better than 'just get by'. The idea of
contributing to a pension while in the Philippines, of course, is to offset any shortfall in my existing pension fund.

Advice, anyone?
This question is asked and discussed on all the Philippines expat forums. The easy answer is "no," though there are exceptions. Don't go to PI expecting to find a Western style of job and income. While you may be able to supplement your retirement income your ability to find a decent job there is small. Here's a discussion on one of my fave blogs:

http://www.philippinesplus.com/youre-mo ... u-smoking/
emh
Freshman Poster

Post by emh »

davewe wrote:

Advice, anyone?
This question is asked and discussed on all the Philippines expat forums. The easy answer is "no," though there are exceptions. Don't go to PI expecting to find a Western style of job and income. While you may be able to supplement your retirement income your ability to find a decent job there is small. Here's a discussion on one of my fave blogs:

I assume you're unfamiliar with Bob Martin? He moved from the US to the Philippines with his filipino wife and their 4 kids. They were struggling to get by and almost out of money. His wife encouraged him to try to make money off the internet and he succeeded big time. He now has a staff of 10-20 people working for him.

Here's a bit of his story here as well as a link to his ebook "49 ways to make a living in the philippines" which comes with a money back guarantee.

http://liveinthephilippines.com/content ... ilippines/

BTW, I've never met Bob but I have had email exchanges with him. I can personally vouch that he is a class act with loads of integrity.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

emh wrote:
davewe wrote:

Advice, anyone?

I assume you're unfamiliar with Bob Martin? He moved from the US to the Philippines with his filipino wife and their 4 kids. They were struggling to get by and almost out of money. His wife encouraged him to try to make money off the internet and he succeeded big time. He now has a staff of 10-20 people working for him.

Here's a bit of his story here as well as a link to his ebook "49 ways to make a living in the philippines" which comes with a money back guarantee.

BTW, I've never met Bob but I have had email exchanges with him. I can personally vouch that he is a class act with loads of integrity.
Making money off of the Internet or any online methodology that you can do from anywhere in the world was not the OPs question. He asked whether he could get work in PI from which he could contribute to his future pension. That is a major challenge.

But if a guy has an Internet based business or an online skill, then that income is not based on location. Such a person can make a living in PI or Timbuktu. Even the guy who runs the blog I quoted makes some additional income from his online efforts. But as he points out many people go to PI assuming their Western skill will bring them a reasonable job. That is problematic, so be careful with that sort of assumption. As Dave says in the blog, there is a reason that 10% of the Philppines adult population works abroad.

If you check out the big expat Philippines forums, like Living in Cebu, you will see that while there are exceptions, very few people have traditional Western-style jobs in PI. They get by on a combo of fixed income + supplemental income. But fortunately since the cost of living is lower, many can get by quite well.

Good luck to the OP. I have similar plans as you.
emh
Freshman Poster

Post by emh »

davewe wrote:
emh wrote:
davewe wrote:

Advice, anyone?

Making money off of the Internet or any online methodology that you can do from anywhere in the world was not the OPs question. He asked whether he could get work in PI from which he could contribute to his future pension. That is a major challenge.

But if a guy has an Internet based business or an online skill, then that income is not based on location. Such a person can make a living in PI or Timbuktu. Even the guy who runs the blog I quoted makes some additional income from his online efforts. But as he points out many people go to PI assuming their Western skill will bring them a reasonable job. That is problematic, so be careful with that sort of assumption. As Dave says in the blog, there is a reason that 10% of the Philppines adult population works abroad.

If you check out the big expat Philippines forums, like Living in Cebu, you will see that while there are exceptions, very few people have traditional Western-style jobs in PI. They get by on a combo of fixed income + supplemental income. But fortunately since the cost of living is lower, many can get by quite well.

Good luck to the OP. I have similar plans as you.
True enough. I just wanted the OP to know that there were alternatives to "getting a job".