Good Job For Manual Labor Oriented Individuals.

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
fdiv
Freshman Poster

Re: Re:

Post by fdiv »

CannedHam wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 3:05 pm
WorldTraveler wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 1:54 pm
OutWest wrote:
April 7th, 2013, 10:01 am
If you have the skills you do not need to go so far..If you have good trade skills there are still some areas in the US where you can make decent money. If you have good computer technology skills that is better yet. A friend back in the USA just took a new job in Sierra Vista, Arizona as an experienced IT man @ 125G plus benefits. He was able to buy a decent house nearby for only $165,000, so he is able to combine low cost of living with a good salary. Of course, such jobs sometimes include a very intensive background investigation...the FBI talking to many friends and family members...neighbors etc.
I have a friend that does contract IT work for the Department of Defense in DC. I know he makes at at least 125K and probably more. You can get some extremely high rates if you are good in IT. There is still a shortage of good experienced IT professionals.
My brother is in healthcare IT and I can confirm this. There are a lot of f***ing retards in IT. IT is still kind of an interesting field where you can start at the very bottom w/o any college education and work your way up to really lucrative positions thru hard word and dedication. Unfortunately, this tends to attract a lot of morons who think they can make six figures w/o any hard work. This is slowly changing however, as more and more employers want to see a BS degree in addition to certifications.

So highly-skilled mid/high level IT professionals are a lot harder to find and can command huge salaries. I'm talking $100k+ by the time they are 30. IT also has lot of possibilities for remote work, so if you're looking to leave the US, taking a remote position on a US salary living in a LCOL country can make for a very comfortable existence.
You know I have a masters in mathematical science, work as a sec. analyst for a payment processor, and don't make anywhere near that. Lol. Most of these stories are flat out lies by blowhards and marketers.
options in the US: maybe have a shot at a angry bluehaired landwhale and then, prison :roll:
options abroad: limitless 8)

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

fdiv
Freshman Poster

Post by fdiv »

CannedHam wrote:
WorldTraveler wrote:
OutWest wrote:
If you have the skills you do not need to go so far..If you have good trade skills there are still some areas in the US where you can make decent money. If you have good computer technology skills that is better yet. A friend back in the USA just took a new job in Sierra Vista, Arizona as an experienced IT man @ 125G plus benefits. He was able to buy a decent house nearby for only $165,000, so he is able to combine low cost of living with a good salary. Of course, such jobs sometimes include a very intensive background investigation...the FBI talking to many friends and family members...neighbors etc.
I have a friend that does contract IT work for the Department of Defense in DC. I know he makes at at least 125K and probably more. You can get some extremely high rates if you are good in IT. There is still a shortage of good experienced IT professionals.
My brother is in healthcare IT and I can confirm this. There are a lot of f***ing retards in IT. IT is still kind of an interesting field where you can start at the very bottom w/o any college education and work your way up to really lucrative positions thru hard word and dedication. Unfortunately, this tends to attract a lot of morons who think they can make six figures w/o any hard work. This is slowly changing however, as more and more employers want to see a BS degree in addition to certifications.

So highly-skilled mid/high level IT professionals are a lot harder to find and can command huge salaries. I'm talking $100k+ by the time they are 30. IT also has lot of possibilities for remote work, so if you're looking to leave the US, taking a remote position on a US salary living in a LCOL country can make for a very comfortable existence.
You know I have a masters in mathematical science, work as a sec. analyst for a payment processor, and don't make anywhere near that. Lol. Most of these stories are flat out lies by blowhards and marketers.
options in the US: maybe have a shot at a angry bluehaired landwhale and then, prison :roll:
fdiv
Freshman Poster

Post by fdiv »

CannedHam wrote:
WorldTraveler wrote:
OutWest wrote:

fdiv
Freshman Poster

Post by fdiv »

CannedHam wrote:
WorldTraveler wrote:
OutWest wrote:

fdiv
Freshman Poster

Post by fdiv »

CannedHam wrote:
WorldTraveler wrote:
OutWest wrote:

CannedHam
Freshman Poster

Post by CannedHam »

fdiv wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 5:05 pm
CannedHam wrote:
WorldTraveler wrote:
OutWest wrote:

I've seen my brother's paystubs. He's in his late 20's and is making well over $90k this year. Also his benefits are incredible (super cheap health insurance, great 401k match, lots of vacation time). AND is considering jumping ship because he feels underpaid relative to what his friends in the same field are paid.

If you're making a low wage with an MS in Math, maybe that's your problem? Actuaries with 5 years of experience (+ exams) and only BS degrees in either Math or Stats are in the $80-100k range in LCOL/MCOL areas. This is not my opinion or hearsay - you can look at any actuarial salary survey and verify this info. Everyone I know with an MS in either Math or Stats is well above $80k, most above $100k.

Don't sell yourself short.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

CannedHam wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 5:11 pm
If you're making a low wage with an MS in Math, maybe that's your problem?
I hope you starve to death.
Mr Natural
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr Natural »

OutWest wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 12:07 am
if you have construction skills such as electrical, plumbing or numerous others, you should pull down $35 or better in the PNW. If you are a diesel mechanic and can beat flat rate as many do, you can make in the $45 hour range. Many jobs go begging.
I can confirm this is accurate, especially on the West Coast in the USA. In California for example you can make up to $55-$80 an hour as an electrician, or in Washington $50 an hour. The pay rates on the West Coast are high because the cost of living is high, so the key is to be able to live cheap somehow. BUT, the problem with trade jobs is that you generally have to be physically present to do them. In other words, you have to be in the USA, which pretty much goes against the subject of this entire forum. Those types of job skills are not very valuable or transferable in most foreign countries, especially the Third World type of countries (Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, etc.) we talk about here. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you would like doing construction work in those countries. Yes you can make pretty good money reliably doing that type of work in the West, but it comes at the considerable cost of being locked into being there.
Everybody has a plan til they get punched in the mouth
Mike Tyson
CannedHam
Freshman Poster

Post by CannedHam »

Mr Natural wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 7:48 pm
OutWest wrote:
if you have construction skills such as electrical, plumbing or numerous others, you should pull down $35 or better in the PNW. If you are a diesel mechanic and can beat flat rate as many do, you can make in the $45 hour range. Many jobs go begging.
I can confirm this is accurate, especially on the West Coast in the USA. In California for example you can make up to $55-$80 an hour as an electrician, or in Washington $50 an hour. The pay rates on the West Coast are high because the cost of living is high, so the key is to be able to live cheap somehow. BUT, the problem with trade jobs is that you generally have to be physically present to do them. In other words, you have to be in the USA, which pretty much goes against the subject of this entire forum. Those types of job skills are not very valuable or transferable in most foreign countries, especially the Third World type of countries (Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, etc.) we talk about here. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you would like doing construction work in those countries. Yes you can make pretty good money reliably doing that type of work in the West, but it comes at the considerable cost of being locked into being there.
Best bet is to hoard as much cash as possible, invest, and gtfo/retire abroad in your 40s. That's about the time a lot of tradesmen start running into physical problems from years of hard labor.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

CannedHam wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 8:25 pm
Mr Natural wrote:
OutWest wrote:
Best bet is to hoard as much cash as possible, invest, and gtfo/retire abroad in your 40s. That's about the time a lot of tradesmen start running into physical problems from years of hard labor.
Yup OK younguns, that is what your elders are advising you and that is what you are facing.
fdiv
Freshman Poster

Post by fdiv »

CannedHam wrote:
fdiv wrote:
CannedHam wrote:
WorldTraveler wrote:
OutWest wrote:

I've seen my brother's paystubs. He's in his late 20's and is making well over $90k this year. Also his benefits are incredible (super cheap health insurance, great 401k match, lots of vacation time). AND is considering jumping ship because he feels underpaid relative to what his friends in the same field are paid.

If you're making a low wage with an MS in Math, maybe that's your problem? Actuaries with 5 years of experience (+ exams) and only BS degrees in either Math or Stats are in the $80-100k range in LCOL/MCOL areas. This is not my opinion or hearsay - you can look at any actuarial salary survey and verify this info. Everyone I know with an MS in either Math or Stats is well above $80k, most above $100k.

I hope they are happy chasing the carrot on their corporate treadmill. That's my attitude and why I'm not chasing what are honestly crappy salaries like that. BTW, see that mill in the pic? Bought for $600, refurbished and trammed up, it's now just as precise as a brand new Bridgeport. $15,000 "capital gain" on that one machine. And my machine was isn't import junk. If I wanted to act pretentious about money like all these yuppies, I'd also point out that I've made more in unrealized capital gains the instant I bought my new shop from HUD your buddy makes all year slaving away to feminist managers that are ready to fire him at any instant (or possibly subject him to false accusations and a lawsuit). And that's without any improvements on the property.
Last edited by fdiv on January 24th, 2019, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fdiv
Freshman Poster

Post by fdiv »

CannedHam wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 8:25 pm
Mr Natural wrote:
OutWest wrote:
Tool and Die trades aren't gruelling. In fact, you can work as a machinist/instrument maker into your 70s, no problem. Saying you'll wear yourself out is like saying a watchmaker will wear himself out. Now contrast this to computer programming where you are unemployable after 35 or 40 or if you don't live in certain areas like San Fran-Sicko.
fdiv
Freshman Poster

Post by fdiv »

fdiv wrote:
January 24th, 2019, 9:47 pm
CannedHam wrote:
fdiv wrote:
CannedHam wrote:
WorldTraveler wrote:

I hope they are happy chasing the carrot on their corporate treadmill. That's my attitude and why I'm not chasing what are honestly crappy salaries like that. BTW, see that mill in the pic? Bought for $600, refurbished and trammed up, it's now just as precise as a brand new Bridgeport. $15,000 "capital gain" on that one machine. And my machine was isn't import junk. If I wanted to act pretentious about money like all these yuppies, I'd also point out that I've made more in unrealized capital gains the instant I bought my new shop from HUD than your buddy makes all year slaving away to feminist managers that are ready to fire him at any instant (or possibly subject him to false accusations and a lawsuit). And that's without any improvements on the property.