ME job offer - would you take it?

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
Boner_Jones
Freshman Poster

ME job offer - would you take it?

Post by Boner_Jones »

someone contacted me ... about a job offer in Qatar.

They want Technical Authors/Content Writers on a greenfield project(?) onsite...its a 4 month contract...

I think I can write ok but... it sounds kinda boring.

sorry for sounding like a dumbass but... i don't know what a greenfield project is or what a technical writer writes about? should I take the offer?
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

If they pay well and give long vacations, go for it.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Dude, if you don't want the job-I'd gladly take it from you, LOL. Just Kidding...

But yeah...I would take the job.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Are you sure it's a scam? How did they find you? Does it look like a form letter? Do you want to post it here for us to check? Are they asking for money?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Boner_Jones
Freshman Poster

Post by Boner_Jones »

Winston wrote:Are you sure it's a scam? How did they find you? Does it look like a form letter? Do you want to post it here for us to check? Are they asking for money?
I dont think so it looks legit... I think they got my resume when i posted on monster board... wow that was years ago... it's a uk recruit firm I think... they have a web site. What's a greenfield project?

Dear xxxx,

I came across your profile online and wanted to know if you were still looking for work at the moment?

We are involved in a large greenfield project based in Doha, Qatar in conjunction with our global partner.

We require a team of Technical Authors/Content Writers within the large training team we are delivering onsite on an initial 4 month contract +
likely extension.

If this is of interest to you, please send me an updated copy of your CV, attached with a contact number and we can disucss these in greater detail.

Regards,

William
Rocky Top
Freshman Poster

Re: ME job offer - would you take it?

Post by Rocky Top »

Boner_Jones wrote:someone contacted me ... about a job offer in Qatar.

They want Technical Authors/Content Writers on a greenfield project(?) onsite...its a 4 month contract...

sorry for sounding like a dumbass but... i don't know what a greenfield project is or what a technical writer writes about? should I take the offer?
Probably too little/too late, but greenfield jobs are new construction projects usually. It doesn't mean it is a green energy job. Basically, you are starting off a new construction from the ground up. There's a bunch of infrastructure projects and building going on in Qatar.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: ME job offer - would you take it?

Post by publicduende »

Rocky Top wrote:
Boner_Jones wrote:someone contacted me ... about a job offer in Qatar.

Probably too little/too late, but greenfield jobs are new construction projects usually. It doesn't mean it is a green energy job. Basically, you are starting off a new construction from the ground up. There's a bunch of infrastructure projects and building going on in Qatar.
Yup. In UK recruitment agency parlance, "greenfield project" can mean any project that is about to start, or has been running for only a few months, and has little or no dependencies on a previous project. Whether that's true or not, it's one of those wildcard terms they drop in to tell the potential hire that they will not be bored to death maintaining an existing system, and/or they will be exposed to new technologies, etc. It might well be a construction project, or an IT or editorial project. I think it's only safe to send the recruiter an e-mail asking for more details, or an official "jobs specs sheet" from the employer if they have been provided with one.
polya
Junior Poster

Post by polya »

No, I wouldn't move overseas on a 4 month contract. You'll be dumped and regret going.
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

polya wrote:No, I wouldn't move overseas on a 4 month contract. You'll be dumped and regret going.
Optimist: The cup is half full already!!!
Pessimist: The cup is half empty already!!!
Opportunist: I drank the cup already!!!

Send the resume, take the job, live cheap, dress well, get another job.
polya
Junior Poster

Post by polya »

Jester wrote:
polya wrote:No, I wouldn't move overseas on a 4 month contract. You'll be dumped and regret going.

We're talking about a country that brings in slave labour to build their sky-scrapers! This country's visas are tough - you must leave soon after losing your job & if you dare get into debt - it's to the prison with you.
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

polya wrote:
Jester wrote:

We're talking about a country that brings in slave labour to build their sky-scrapers! This country's visas are tough - you must leave soon after losing your job & if you dare get into debt - it's to the prison with you.
Good points.

Therefore, yes, play it safe.

Don't borrow (including car loan, credit card, line of credit, or unfulfilled lease obligation) while there.
Leave 2-3 days ahead of schedule, in case a flight is cancelled etc.
Keep your employer happy.

Yes, it's slave labor, of sort. You do what you have to.

Some have come out of ME assignments with capital, connection, and resume that launched a pretty good life.

PS Qatar may b a minor war zone soon, but in this context, that just generates more jobs.
Start nosing around for a new assignment as soon as you can.