Does Paradise Make You Lazy?

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Does Paradise Make You Lazy?

Post by Jester »

Does living in a relaxed country sap your energy?

If you live in a country where the weather is warm, the people are friendly, and costs are low, do you find your ambition fading?

I ask because I want to build a new life, work and all. I can work online, or I can work in "real life". But I do need to work.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

probably yes. specially in warm climates. it´s easier to do relaxed stuff. at least i am in retired mode and enjoying the easygoing without the hassle. reading big ass books and doing fun stuff. but it´s just me. i don´t need so much money.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Billy wrote:probably yes. specially in warm climates. it´s easier to do relaxed stuff. at least i am in retired mode and enjoying the easygoing without the hassle. reading big a** books and doing fun stuff. but it´s just me. i don´t need so much money.
So there's really three factors:

(1) Stage of life you're in - not having to work
(2) Being around people with a relaxed attitude
(3) Warm climate

For me, its (2) and (3) that really concern me.

I know Americans go to places like Chile and start businesses. Not too relaxed, not too warm a climate.

And they go to China and do stuff. But China is the opposite of relaxed. And most gweilo stay up north in Shanghai and Beijing I believe, where it's not so hot.

So many Americans in the warm, relaxed Philippines, but vast majority seem to be retired. Brits in warm, relaxed Thailand are mostly retired.

This is not sounding too good for Jester.
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

yeah i read today in a good german newspaper how the temperature in the world is rising and it is going to be a problem for working conditions. look at the southern usa i think they are lazier and it´s no wonder they lost the war against the north.

but there might be exceptions in spite of the hot climate the australians are doing quite good at least it looks so.

as long as you have intrinsic motivation it can still work.
Christianfilipinacom
Freshman Poster

Post by Christianfilipinacom »

We are happy with our choice to live in Hawaii (Big Island). It never goes below 55 at night, never over 85 in the day. There are many Filipinas to be friends with. The utilities work. The property is affordable and protected by US law. Anybody can even own the property. The tough part of living on this island is the jobs are hard to come by. We farm, and we work online. It's a great place to have this lifestyle. Come stop by sometime.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

I don't think so. Probably just the opposite. Being in warmer environments makes me more energetic. I can hardly function in the freeze. Plus when I'm working I can just look outside the window and remind myself what I'm working for. If it's dreary outside that just saps motivation. In a sunny, warm place I look outside and think "I can do this" because it's worth it. Maybe take a short break, but there's the motivation to get done faster. Being in a warm environment provides me with a minimum level of decency that I require to get work done.
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

abc, there is a difference between warm and hot. once i was in antalya and had to spend two days in a room without aircon and it was hell. i was so happy to come to back to cold rainy munich.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Christianfilipinacom wrote:We are happy with our choice to live in Hawaii (Big Island). It never goes below 55 at night, never over 85 in the day. There are many Filipinas to be friends with. The utilities work. The property is affordable and protected by US law. Anybody can even own the property. The tough part of living on this island is the jobs are hard to come by. We farm, and we work online. It's a great place to have this lifestyle. Come stop by sometime.
;)
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

abcdavid01 wrote:I don't think so. Probably just the opposite. Being in warmer environments makes me more energetic. I can hardly function in the freeze. Plus when I'm working I can just look outside the window and remind myself what I'm working for. If it's dreary outside that just saps motivation. In a sunny, warm place I look outside and think "I can do this" because it's worth it. Maybe take a short break, but there's the motivation to get done faster. Being in a warm environment provides me with a minimum level of decency that I require to get work done.
Good words, thanks.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Billy wrote:abc, there is a difference between warm and hot. once i was in antalya and had to spend two days in a room without aircon and it was hell. i was so happy to come to back to cold rainy munich.
Of course this is relative. Look at Yakuza for example, can only stand really cold environments. Certain races built tolerances over centuries.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

abcdavid01 wrote:I don't think so. Probably just the opposite. Being in warmer environments makes me more energetic.
Constant oppressive heat and humidity over a long period like in South East Asia or Korea in the summer seems to make most people rather lethargic.