I'm in Ukraine!

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

emh wrote:Now that I've been here for a few days, I thought I'd share some random observations.

1) Not knowing the language makes things really hard. I'm definitely a lot less independent here than I normally am. And it also limits what I can do socially. I see posters for concerts and other things but have no idea where or when they are.
Hard, yes. Impossible? No. You don't have Google Translate? This even works on the original Android Phone (G1/Dream) I have. Ovi/Nokia Maps should work as well for everything including buses.
2) I've found some really helpful people. One guy helped me on the bus, showing me where I needed to get off. Another guy let me borrow his cell phone when I couldn't find the place I was supposed to be staying (I offered to give him some money and he refused). I was having problems finding the bus station so I could go to Kiev. So I posted a message on couchsurfing. Someone responded and this morning before he went to work, he walked me 30 minutes to the bus station, helped me buy my ticket and then walked me back. And now that I'm going to Kiev, I need help with getting to my hotel. (since I don't speak Russian, I can't tell the taxi driver where to take me). So far, via couchsurfing, I have one guy who offered to pick me up at the bus station, another person has offered to call a taxi for me (I can't get my cell phone to work here), and another person helped translate some directions for me. All in all, I'm impressed with how much people have gone out of their way to help me.
Glad to know Couchsurfing works, been a member for a few months but haven't really used it yet.
3) Bring a laptop if you come here. As I mentioned, I'm pretty well traveled in developing countries and I've never seen a place with so few internet cafes.
They should be everywhere, that said unless I was setup with a USB Flash Drive that had my "Life" on it, I would still opt for a laptop for entertainment reasons. If you want to know how to basically have everything you need on just a flash drive, ask. Leaves no information on the host computer either.
4) Places to buy a sim card for your cell phone are also much harder to find than in other developing countries.
There should be some pre-paid Kiosk, these are popular in FSU. I just went to a local cellphone store, the person I had with me spoke Russian.
5) Facial hair is definitely not popular here so you will definitely stand out if you have a beard like me.
Is there someplace where facial hair is liked? I find it very rare that women don't like clean shaven men and rather have the Grizzly Adam's look on their man.
6) Drivers are generally courteous towards pedestrians. Yesterday I had a taxi driver honk at me for not crossing the street in front of him. I'm used to Latin America where no one in their right mind would ever step out in front of a taxi or other car.
That maybe so, but people in Ukraine generally don't drive that well and speed...
7) Overall it's hard to find a taxi here. Unlike other countries where it's easy to pick one up of the street, here it's best to call one.
Dispatch in Kiev had an English Speaking person and I was able to find a Taxi fairly easy.
8 ) People are much shorter than I expected. As someone who's about 5'6 or 5'7, I thought I was headed to the land of the giants. Not so. There are plenty of guys my height or shorter. I'd say most guys are 1-3 inches taller than me. But that's it. As for the women, there's no way that the heights you see listed on dating sites are accurate. There are a few tall women but not many. So women are either 1) lying about their height, 2) have no idea how tall they are and are just making something up, 3) listing how tall they are in their high heels.
Where did you get the impression it would be a land of giants? Its Ukraine not The Netherlands.... That said, most women in Latin America are under 5'5. The ratio of women over 5'7 to 6'0 tall is much higher in FSU than in Mediterranean or Latin American countries. Perhaps I am looking for tall women being 6'1 myself... The majority of FSU female athletes are quite tall (5'9 or more)
9) No woman has come running up to me and proposed marriage. Quite strange. :D Heck I haven't even been propositioned by a prostitute.
Did you really expect this to happen??? Give me a month in Kiev I would have had a GF, no question. You sort of have to go to bars to be accosted by a prostitute, but even then that won't happen. They'll be about as aggressive as Western Girl is when she decides she needs to be (Brush against you, bump you, etc)
10) Since I'm here to check out cities as possible places to live, I haven't been focusing on meeting women. I did hang out with a woman I met from couchsurfing and we had the following conversation:

Her: So what do you think of Ukranian women?
Me: I've only been here for one day so I don't know. And I'm not really into striking up conversations with strangers.
Her: Yeah, people would think you're really weird if you do that. We really don't do that here. When people are standing on the corner or anywhere else, no one talks to each other.

Anyway, that's what she reported to me re: approaching women in the street.
Places to live I would suggest where Ladislav has said. Not often traveled by Westerners. Most Newbies are scared to venture far from Kiev. You don't have to focus on women, get settled first, they aren't going anywhere.
Google
Freshman Poster

Post by Google »

Odessa :) "city is dirty, ugly, run-down, etc."

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=90925165
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

I talked to a number of chicks from couch surfing and they all say one thing and that is 'if you wanna experience real and authentic Ukraine go to Lvyv', ...these chicks were from Donetsk, Kherson, Nikolaev..
I dont really want to go to Lviv if they are conservative Catholics as Ladislav pointed out, reason I want to go is hot down to earth women
Oddessa, Kiev and Lvyv to be avoided according to Lad , which makes sense
Where do we get 'easiest going' and the best looking women that havent been exposed to westerners?

Which part of Ukraine has women with weird body shapes, someone said something abt it and cant remember which cities
Google
Freshman Poster

Post by Google »

Banano wrote:I talked to a number of chicks from couch surfing and they all say one thing and that is 'if you wanna experience real and authentic Ukraine go to Lvyv', ...these chicks were from Donetsk, Kherson, Nikolaev..
I dont really want to go to Lviv if they are conservative Catholics as Ladislav pointed out, reason I want to go is hot down to earth women
Oddessa, Kiev and Lvyv to be avoided according to Lad , which makes sense
Where do we get 'easiest going' and the best looking women that havent been exposed to westerners?

Which part of Ukraine has women with weird body shapes, someone said something abt it and cant remember which cities

Kyiv, Lviv, Kherson, Lugansk, Kharkiv, Odesa, Dnipropetrovsk, Mykolaiv, Sevastopol - in all these cities you may find beautiful and ugly, conservative and sluts!

Ok. Lviv.... Over 300 thousands girls of conservative Lviv from social network vk.com :

http://vk.com/search?c%5Bcity%5D=1057&c ... 5Bsex%5D=1

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

emh wrote:
gsjackson wrote:Also, a question: If you do decide to live in Ukraine longer than three months, how do you propose to get a residency visa? Have you checked into it yet?
Not sure yet. I could do a CELTA which would help me get a legitimate teaching job where they help you with the paperwork. The other option seems to be paying a company several hundred (or perhaps thousands) of dollars in exchange for them giving you paperwork saying you are their employee. I think some of the marriage agencies do this. That's about all I've come up with so far. Obviously, once you're married you have another option.
Sounds like a rough job.

But I guess someone has to do it...
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

djfourmoney wrote:
Places to live I would suggest where Ladislav has said. Not often traveled by Westerners. Most Newbies are scared to venture far from Kiev. You don't have to focus on women, get settled first, they aren't going anywhere.
LOL.

DJ, are you thinking of actually living in Ukraine or FSU?
odbo
Veteran Poster

It's happening! The brainwash is working

Post by odbo »

This girl is emulating what she saw in anime cartoons. It's the beginning of the end
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

vk.com, is it something similar to facebook or its more like a dating site?

Seems like that everyone in Ukraine is member of vk.vom

Lviv city has the population of about 734 000 (2010)

and more than 300 000 females are on it
Google
Freshman Poster

Post by Google »

Banano wrote:vk.com, is it something similar to facebook or its more like a dating site?

Seems like that everyone in Ukraine is member of vk.vom

Lviv city has the population of about 734 000 (2010)

and more than 300 000 females are on it

yes, similar to facebook.

almost everyone :) but some have second account... also some people from Lviv Region (province) indicate place of residence Lviv, although actually live in village near Lviv or even within 20-25 km from the Lviv.
happymannor
Freshman Poster

Post by happymannor »

I can imagine you have problems with finding a taxi. Honestly, in Ukraine and Russia absolutely every car is a taxi.

I hope you liked the place, however. I have been all over Ukraine. With a minimum of language you would see that the place is more developed than you think.

SIM-cards are sold absolutely everywhere. And I mean absolutely everywhere. Moreover, the people are so helpful. You make strangers walk you 30 minutes, because you can not find the bus? Are you serious?

Get real. I hope you survived the trip. But please, next time. Either you learn the kyrillic alphabet (then you understand 80% of the words) or you hire a translator.
UkrainianGuide
Freshman Poster

Post by UkrainianGuide »

Odessa, Kyiv, Lviv are definitely very interesting cities from the tourist point of view and I would recommend to visit them as well as Crimean peninsula where every small town breathes history. But to find a sincere woman who could make a good wife, it would be better to choose some not very big provincial town like Kherson, Nikolaev, Melitopol, Krivoy Rog or smaller towns/villages (it could be some bigger industrial cities mentioned by Ladislav too).
If you need any help of honest and affordable interpreter (who knows some sincere ladies from Kherson and Nikolaev in person), help with finding accomodation for the best price in Kherson and transfer from Odessa airport, you are welcome to get in touch with me: elaine485@hotmail.com
ElenaUkrGuide
MatureDJ
Junior Poster

Re: I'm in Ukraine!

Post by MatureDJ »

ladislav wrote:
emh wrote:Odessa, Kiev and L'viv are the worst places for women. Odessa is a port city with more men than women, Lviv is a Greek Catholic convent and Kiev is the capital- the place where women are too spoiled to be bothered. You should have gone to Luhansk, Dnepropetrovsk, Simferopol and Donetsk.
I recently visited L'viv. I was pleasantly surprised. I had read that the women there were not all that great and/or snooty, but I got the totally opposite impression.

Having lived in Kiev for 2 years, I would tend to agree with Kiev though. I have seen some decent looking men walking around with chubby women - something that is common in the USA. I'm planning on moving to Chisinau, Moldova next.