Anyone dislike the portrayal of asian guys in the Media?

For Asian Americans to discuss Asian American issues and topics.
Sexter
Freshman Poster

Anyone dislike the portrayal of asian guys in the Media?

Post by Sexter »

Take the asian guy for example.

99% of what hollywood portrays us

1. Math dorks
2. Beta (follower)
3. Kung Fu Masters
4. Ricer/Gangster guy

So I was watching this movie called Hangover and hangover 2, the asian guy in that movie is portrayed as a drug dealer/crazy maniac. It pisses me off because majority of archetype of asian men in movies are mostly in Negative preconceived roles.

It seems as if Asian guys Never have a main role in a movie....and if he did, it's for Kung fu master reasons (jet li/jackie chan). We are never portrayed as the alpha guy of the group.

i don't get why this is the case. I'm not being patriotic or being a whiny bitch or anything, but it baffles me that we are put in such a beta role. I know it's the 21st century but people still use race as an indicator of status and "what sells"

I think is one main factor on why majority of white chicks or women in general give asian men as their "last preference" on most dating sites. Because of social conditioning and negative pre-conceived notions.

thoughts?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

What are you doing watching Hang Over 2

Faggot movie. Meaning a movie for faggots. Meaning it will turn you gay.

'We don't need women anymore.. from now on it's just us boys.. let's go blow eachother'
(I'm paraphrasing since I only saw a few minutes of the first one)

Apart from that, no, I have no complaints with Hollywood. Everything is to my liking :roll:
FreeYourMind
Freshman Poster

Post by FreeYourMind »

In the last few years commercials have begun showing a large number of Asian females, usually young and good looking and sometimes with a White bf or husband, way out of proportion to their percentage of the U.S. population, while Asian guys are still pretty much invisible and shown as stereotypical nerds and geeks.
swincor
Freshman Poster

Post by swincor »

Yeah, you are a whiny little dumbass. Watching shit Hollywood movies and then crying like a baby about it?

Get a clue, numbnuts. You're in the wrong society. Make a plan and get out.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Anyone dislike the portrayal of asian guys in the Media?

Post by Rock »

Sexter wrote:Take the asian guy for example.

99% of what hollywood portrays us

1. Math dorks
2. Beta (follower)
3. Kung Fu Masters
4. Ricer/Gangster guy

So I was watching this movie called Hangover and hangover 2, the asian guy in that movie is portrayed as a drug dealer/crazy maniac. It pisses me off because majority of archetype of asian men in movies are mostly in Negative preconceived roles.

It seems as if Asian guys Never have a main role in a movie....and if he did, it's for Kung fu master reasons (jet li/jackie chan). We are never portrayed as the alpha guy of the group.

i don't get why this is the case. I'm not being patriotic or being a whiny bitch or anything, but it baffles me that we are put in such a beta role. I know it's the 21st century but people still use race as an indicator of status and "what sells"

I think is one main factor on why majority of white chicks or women in general give asian men as their "last preference" on most dating sites. Because of social conditioning and negative pre-conceived notions.

thoughts?
Its a shame Asian guys are practically invisible in Hollywood movies and general US media other than for a few types of stereotypical roles they get once in awhile as you mentioned. I've always liked the "Rush Hour" movies but even in those, Jackie Chan is a kung fu type and at one point called 'third world ugly'. And in the newest Karate Kid, the Beijing bully is portrayed as an alpha male.

The good news is that most people can find their sweet area on this planet. If you are East Asian and have economic or business success in many parts of Asia, you can act like a true alpha male big-shot, even if you're just 5'4". In China, a lot of the guys with money act like they own the damn world and treat everyone around like they're their servants. And society gives them license to be like that. Money and posturing can make you the man there.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Movies pander to existing stereotypes otherwise people don't want to watch them unless there is an organized PC/Civil rights movement to change their stereotypes. Like with black people now. They are now potraied as macho and heroic and sometimes they get a white woman but generally they get another woman of color (light skinned though).

However, many black people complain that if the movie is backed by many foreign investors, particularly Taiwanese, they don't want any blacks in it, just people that "look American"- Bruce Willis, Leonardo De Caprio, etc. Blacks would be given the roles of bozos, gangsters, maybe a cop that appears occasionally.

Viewers around the world don't like seeing something that will disturb them or create cognitive dissonance. This has been the case for a long time. Asian men in the US were originally poor immigrants and lonely and womanless and there were wars in which white American men would kill them. Their only admirable point was martial arts. So , that is what the Great American Midwest wants to see. Seeing a poor noodle-mixing immigrant, former enemy whom his father/ grandfather used to kill in Korea, VN, Japan, etc kissing a white woman or becoming a hero would be unpleasant to the majority of the viewers.

And the viewers in the US do not like to know that Asia is now so developed that it is no longer the 3d world. People there are supposed to be poor and yearning to come to the US where they will run a laundry or a noodle shop and smile all the time happy that they are no longer making $100 dollars a month and now have freedom and are making $2000 a month. That Hong Kong now has a GDP higher than the UK makes the viewers feel uncomfortable.

To be fair, in the Hong Kong, Thai, Japanese, Chinese movies, on the very rare occasions when they portray white men, they show them as villains who work with local gangs or who are arrogant lascivious rapists that are out to get local women. They always speak English and look "foreign" and dorky/rude and out of place. They are beaten, insulted, or vanquished by local Asian guys. And always called by some ridiculous name- foreign devil, farang, etc.

In Indian movies- the biggest movie industry in the world, white guys, or any foreigners are missing, period.

I rarely watch a movie- I prefer to make my life more interesting than any movie there is.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

ladislav wrote: To be fair, in the Hong Kong, Thai, Japanese, Chinese movies, on the very rare occasions when they portray white men, they show them as villains who work with local gangs or who are arrogant lascivious rapists that are out to get local women. They always speak English and look "foreign" and dorky/rude and out of place. They are beaten, insulted, or vanquished by local Asian guys. And always called by some ridiculous name- foreign devil, farang, etc.
To add to your point, I'd recommend watching the recent movie "Ip Man 2" and its portrayal of foreign devils in HK:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaBdgu00 ... re=related[/youtube]
ClearView
Freshman Poster

Post by ClearView »

Daniel Dae Kim is an alpha in the new Hawaii Five O and at least is seen as having the same level of respect as the white guys.

And I know that he's not Asian American and yes he is a martial arts icon but Donnie Yen is a f***ing bad ass in Ip Man.
whitepussyum
Freshman Poster

Asian men are

Post by whitepussyum »

always being deteriorate in western media and movies, it reflects the insecurity of white males(particularly those love both white women and Asian women).

In Hollywood movies, Asian men are portraited as rats, white men are portriated as good looking hero and whom the women will finally fall in love. Not only in movies, but also daily living in Western countries you as an Asian male(particularly if you're good looking) can feel this kind of jealousy and hates from white males.

More, its common to see white men dating Asian women, but when white girls date Asian guys, racist react from white men(it doesn't happen the other way around dunno why, probably because many still have the white race superiority thinking inside)
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Asian men are

Post by zboy1 »

whitepussyum wrote:always being deteriorate in western media and movies, it reflects the insecurity of white males(particularly those love both white women and Asian women).

In Hollywood movies, Asian men are portraited as rats, white men are portriated as good looking hero and whom the women will finally fall in love. Not only in movies, but also daily living in Western countries you as an Asian male(particularly if you're good looking) can feel this kind of jealousy and hates from white males.

More, its common to see white men dating Asian women, but when white girls date Asian guys, racist react from white men(it doesn't happen the other way around dunno why, probably because many still have the white race superiority thinking inside)
Yup, I noticed that as well. When I was with a white female friend--the nasty looks I got from both white males and females and even from blacks and Asian women, smh...
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

And just to be fair- if you are a white guy in Asian countries and you date local women, in many places, you as a couple will get hateful/scornful/resentful looks daily. However, if you are an Asian guy with a blond girl there, you will be lauded.
Last edited by ladislav on February 21st, 2012, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

ladislav wrote:And just to be fair- if you are a white guy, in Asian countries and you date local women, in many places, you as a couple will get hateful/scornful/resentful looks daily. However, if you are an Asia guy with a blond girl there, you will be lauded.
LOL, that's true as well. Race will always be an issue wherever you go in the world, unfortunately.
odbo
Veteran Poster

Re: Asian men are

Post by odbo »

whitepussyum wrote:always being deteriorate in western media and movies, it reflects the insecurity of white males(particularly those love both white women and Asian women).

In Hollywood movies, Asian men are portraited as rats, white men are portriated as good looking hero and whom the women will finally fall in love.
Okay this bullshit has to stop. The prisoners have to stop fighting over who the warden hates more. What you said is only a half-truth at best. All of the men on this forum, whether they be asian, black, white, are targeted by the media. And when I say targeted I mean our lives are made worse by artificially created problems - especially dysfunction in the women we want to go after.

Once again, Hollywood is run by Jews. Jews are light skinned and in many cases more pale than Europeans, but they are not white for they have completely different origins. Nor do they see themselves as white, they only pretend to be for their own benefit but they believe they are a separate superior race whose religion makes them fit to rule the world. They have an inferiority complex, they are jealous of whites and try to breed with them while actively working towards their destruction, just one of their many contradictions. For whatever reason, they greatly despise blacks, while seeing the rest (i.e. asians) as below them. Of course Jews are products of their environment just like the rest of us and many are victims of the very liberalization their parents and grandparents worked towards. So there are plenty of "liberal" Jews who assimilate into greater society and leave behind their Jewish loyalties, becoming simply "American", but these aren't the kinds of Jews that you will find in Hollywood writing scripts.

The bad guy in Hollywood films is usually an Arab, a Russian, or when politics/war/terrorism isn't involved, he is a (western) white man. If they want to portray someone truly evil, he will be blonde. Because Americans watch an ungodly amount of television and films and most people are unconscious sheep, the brainwashing works supremely well. In the 1980s the good guys were large brown/black haired men like Stallone, Schwarzenegger, or Chuck Norris (a ginger Jew). But since the programming the last few years is aimed at emasculating men, the savior figures have become blatant bottom boys (and very Jewish) with action heroes like Elijah Wood, Orlando Bloom, Tobey Maguire, Robert Downey Jr and Shia LaBeouf. The only recent exception I can think of is Captain America. It really is hard to find a blonde Nordic/Germanic looking man who isn't portrayed as a psychopath. Using their media monopoly the Jews have done a great job destroying people's instincts to flip their perceptions, protecting themselves and demonizing their arch rivals.

viewtopic.php?p=69148#69148
viewtopic.php?t=9457