What Should I Study Online?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
rudder
Junior Poster

What Should I Study Online?

Post by rudder »

I'm looking for something (preferably online work) that I can study and begin working and have the field pay dividends for at least the next five years.

About five years ago, a good friend of mind who was pretty much "lost" career-wise, decided to do one of those coding bootcamps where they guarantee a good paying job afterwards and are available for free follow-up support for a certain time following the course. He got a good job doing coding in California, and makes decent money. He doesn't really like it, but he tolerates it well enough. I think he's recommended that sort of thing to me in the past. But I wonder if it's still a good option now a few years later.

I'm looking for something that's location independent, the market of which will not be fully saturated with qualified individuals in five years. I want something where the demand for qualified individuals outstrips supplies.

I like to learn things on my own, but it's always better to have a structured course at least for a foundation and a network for continued support. I don't like jobs where there is too much ambiguity. I just want to know what needs to be done and execute.

Since I'm living in the third world right now, I do have time. Not a lot of money, but I have a lot of time. Last year I spent a few months online learning how to design and install my own home solar power system. I had absolutely no background in electronics or anything of the sort. I was successful and did an excellent installation, which powers my home. I don't think I'd want to do that as a career, and I also don't think there would be enough demand here. The market here for quality is eclipsed by local income, which is why I want to do something online, so I'm not limited to the local market.

It's a difficult question, because you really have to have a grasp for the trajectory of the world. I often wonder if the best thing instead of working is just to invest in other projects that will be successful. Makes more sense than reinventing the wheel. I have made a lot of successful investments, but to keep going down that road requires a disposable income, which I no longer have.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: What Should I Study Online?

Post by MrMan »

That sounds good, if you can stand it, the coding that is.