Should I forfeit approximately $650?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Should I forfeit approximately $650?

Post by Tsar »

I don't like the place I am at right now. The location is nice but everything else is not good to terrible.

I do feel like going to Europe now but I don't have the money.

All the affordable places in Germany for rental contracts have already been rented. All that's left is student housing.

And do you know how I hate this place? I am going to be required to pay for damages because the shower system sucks and mold formed. I am going to probably freeze my debit card and secretly checkout so Airbnb can't charge me.

It's really a Murphy's Law situation. But since it's not a credit card and technically not a bank, and I can freeze my card, I should be able to avoid getting charged. I can avoid it. I shouldn't have to compensate for lousy accomodations with poor ventilation.

Technically, I won't need to forfeit anything if I freeze my debit card.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Re: Should I forfeit approximately $650?

Post by Voyager1 »

I think you should go back to the U.S., live in a hostel or homeless shelter. Live out of a car if you have to. Then save for about two months or until you have enough to go where you want to go.

There is a saying, Beggars can't be choosers.

You right now Tsar are a beggar. You can't say I need this condition or I need that condition in your accommodation. You have to take what you can get for now.

I watch videos by Dave Ramsey. The first thing he would tell you is you've got to get your income up.

AirB should have your back if you properly document the situation.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Voyager1 wrote:
September 14th, 2021, 1:11 pm
I think you should go back to the U.S., live in a hostel or homeless shelter. Live out of a car if you have to. Then save for about two months or until you have enough to go where you want to go.

There is a saying, Beggars can't be choosers.

You right now Tsar are a beggar. You can't say I need this condition or I need that condition in your accommodation. You have to take what you can get for now.

I watch videos by Dave Ramsey. The first thing he would tell you is you've got to get your income up.

AirB should have your back if you properly document the situation.
I know that's what I need to do.

About your point about living in cars... that's unacceptable...maybe a really good RV with fast internet, hot water, and a desk and chair.

Living out of cars:
1. Illegal and a criminal offense
2. No internet or showers
3. A person needs to own

I am just above a beggar. I definitely need to go to the EU.

Anyway, back to the original point...

I am checking out tomorrow in secret, going to a hotel for 2 days, then my next place much looks much better for the room.
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

Hey @Tsar how did your secret checkout go? How do you like the new place?
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Voyager1 wrote:
September 17th, 2021, 8:23 am
Hey @Tsar how did your secret checkout go? How do you like the new place?
Went fine. I really liked the hotel I was at for two days (just because the hot water was decent, shower had a lot of space, nice mirrors, king-size bed, and a really nice table that doubles as a desk with a chair that was good and compatible with the height of the table) but I didn't bother unpacking much of anything. I am at a new place. No microwave or mini fridge were negatives but it showed me I can definitely sacrifice a kitchen in a place like Germany as long as I have a microwave and mini fridge. I could always buy a hotplate in Europe to cook something that wouldn't burn (like boil pasta).

My new place has an issue with the water but at least it gets warm and stays comfortably warm for about 4 minutes. I take 15-20 minute showers under the best circumstances because it's relaxing, I want to feel divinely clean, and I need to shower a specific way to give my hair a really nice fluff to it. But I can at least deal with 4-6 minute showers in comfortably warm water until I get to Europe. I like it better because it actually has a desk with a chair of sufficient height. I won't be doing laundry until Europe. It has a nice common area with hot plates, a decent microwave that actually heat things up in a sufficient amount of time, a place to sit and eat, and my host will be giving me a new room in a week that has a window to the outside (I am hoping it has a better bathroom arrangement).

The previous Airbnb that I didn't like was in a nice area but the Airbnb itself wasn't up to the description or up to par with what I expected from the reviews. The pictures made it seem much larger with better features.

The place I had in Bulgaria was great except for the desk. (And it was impossible to get deliveries and the washer (the water was really heavy for some reason and when my jeans dried they were hard instead of being softer). I honestly expected much better from Mexican Airbnbs considering it's next to the United States. But now I know that if I live anywhere, it needs to be Europe.

I plan to go back to Europe very soon and I can't wait to go back to the EU. I know that I will be happier and feel like it's a better fit for me.
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

Tsar your host can leave you a negative review on Airb for your sneaky checkout. Did you have to pay any penalty?

Because you can take only 4-6 minute showers tells me you have a hot water tank in your apt that will only last that long.

What you can do is go to the hot water tank if accessible and turn it to the maximum hot. This will give you longer showers.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Voyager1 wrote:
September 18th, 2021, 12:42 am
Tsar your host can leave you a negative review on Airb for your sneaky checkout. Did you have to pay any penalty?

Because you can take only 4-6 minute showers tells me you have a hot water tank in your apt that will only last that long.

What you can do is go to the hot water tank if accessible and turn it to the maximum hot. This will give you longer showers.
I did get a negative review but I will delete the account. I'm doing a rental contract when I am in Europe. I want a place I would like and stay long-term.

My only penalty was forfeited the Airbnb cost for 30 days. I froze my debit card so if there's any chance of something happening like getting charged an additional penalty, it will be declined. The hot water tank is not visible.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Voyager1 wrote:
September 17th, 2021, 8:23 am
How do you like the new place?
It's been 24 hours. It's okay but the bathroom is too tiny. I constantly bump into everything unless I am extra careful. The shower nozzle is too concentrated making it send up tiny droplets when it bounces off the floor.

Cleaning of the halls happens between 10am-11am and it smells because it's likely ammonia mixed with water. Note that the door isn't soundproof because it has glass that can't be closed completely and it looks like some panels might have been a little broken.

I couldn't sleep past 1am because of the noise because it's next to a road or highway. The noise is somewhat worse than America.

The bed isn't as comfortable.

But overall I guess it's better than the Airbnb but the hotel was the best of the three places.

Honestly, America is marginally worse for Airbnbs and hotels. Hotels in America were dirty. The places in Mexico are much cleaner.

Honestly, I can't stand the entire Western Hemisphere...it doesn't have good architecture, soundproofing, and the quality of Europe.

Europe is the only place I really like.

I am counting the days until I go to Europe. I am extremely unhappy outside of Europe and things aren't as great.

I just hope the place in Slovenia remains available and it's decent enough for me.

I am going to hopefully be able to sleep during the day. All day and night a window was open in the hallway...if it's open tonight, I am closing it at 12:00am...

This place I am at now is going to be slightly more tolerable. I just wish I had earplugs to block the noise.

Bulgaria was a paradise compared to the living conditions here.

I guess this is my Murphy's Law this time. A series of less than ideal locations. I wish I had just gone back to the EU...but that's tourist season but maybe student season is worse because almost everything is rented during student season.

I just hope Slovenia is much better and less restrictive than Bulgaria. At least 40% of people should know English in Slovenia so it shouldn't be too difficult to talk to people in English.
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

I remember staying in a hotel I really liked in EE. It was a suite with all modern furniture (queen bed, sofa) and a bathtub. There was no kitchen but a breakfast buffet was included.

I asked the receptionist if she could ask what the monthly rate would be if I stayed there. She did and the rate came out to about US$400/month which I jumped at. This was during low season and I couldn't get that rate later on.

How long did you book your current place?
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Voyager1 wrote:
September 18th, 2021, 9:46 am
I remember staying in a hotel I really liked in EE. It was a suite with all modern furniture (queen bed, sofa) and a bathtub. There was no kitchen but a breakfast buffet was included.

I asked the receptionist if she could ask what the monthly rate would be if I stayed there. She did and the rate came out to about US$400/month which I jumped at. This was during low season and I couldn't get that rate later on.

30 days because I knew weeks ago I wanted to go back to the EU.

It's just getting to Europe while avoiding the United States is extremely difficult because I have 2 pieces of checked luggage. I can only go to Spain or Portugal (layover in Spain) or travel with a layover in Canada (and another in a non-EU nation)...

Now I have another issue to deal with because the only affordable private place is in Slovenia.

I have issue after issue with finding a place in the EU to rent, finding a flight that allows 2 checked luggage (paid of course. European airlines don't allow 2 pieces of checked luggage even as a paid option).

What an I going to do?

I might have to book a flight to Spain, clear customs, go through the ticket line then security line, then book another flight to whatever destination. I can't afford to stay anywhere in Spain.

Flights aren't affordable like they were during COVID-19 in 2020.

I will need to pay about $1,000, pay for my COVID-19 test which might not be be valid, pay for my luggage, when I clear customs, pay for another flight for $500 in the EU that allows me to pay for a second checked luggage.

Should I try to stay longer in Mexico but try to find a better, more tolerable place...or maybe I should see...

I really want to go to the European Union again but I might need to wait on that...I honestly hate how nothing ever goes right for me.

Anyone travel on Turkish Airlines? Do they always allow 2 checked luggage either paid as extra or included? They have a $1,000 option but the 29 hour total flight times plus layover, not including the time zone changes and then needing a place to stay for 1-2 hours will be really terrible...
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Tsar wrote:
September 18th, 2021, 11:07 am
Voyager1 wrote:
September 18th, 2021, 9:46 am

30 days because I knew weeks ago I wanted to go back to the EU.

It's just getting to Europe while avoiding the United States is extremely difficult because I have 2 pieces of checked luggage. I can only go to Spain or Portugal (layover in Spain) or travel with a layover in Canada (and another in a non-EU nation)...

Now I have another issue to deal with because the only affordable private place is in Slovenia.

I have issue after issue with finding a place in the EU to rent, finding a flight that allows 2 checked luggage (paid of course. European airlines don't allow 2 pieces of checked luggage even as a paid option).

What an I going to do?

I might have to book a flight to Spain, clear customs, go through the ticket line then security line, then book another flight to whatever destination. I can't afford to stay anywhere in Spain.

Flights aren't affordable like they were during COVID-19 in 2020.

I will need to pay about $1,000, pay for my COVID-19 test which might not be be valid, pay for my luggage, when I clear customs, pay for another flight for $500 in the EU that allows me to pay for a second checked luggage.

Should I try to stay longer in Mexico but try to find a better, more tolerable place...or maybe I should see...

I really want to go to the European Union again but I might need to wait on that...I honestly hate how nothing ever goes right for me.

Anyone travel on Turkish Airlines? Do they always allow 2 checked luggage either paid as extra or included? They have a $1,000 option but the 29 hour total flight times plus layover, not including the time zone changes and then needing a place to stay for 1-2 hours will be really terrible...
Qatar Airways allows two free checked bags. They have a flight from Tucson to Belgrade for $630. To get to Tucson from Mexico City you'd need to fly to Phoenix and take a shuttle to Tucson -- cost about $300 plus depending on luggage fees. From Belgrade you can get a direct flight to Ljubljana for $94 plus about $70-100 for checked bags.
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

Is there any way you can reduce your luggage to 1 checked bag? Try to fit as much into your carryon as possible. Maybe you could throw / donate some stuff away. You can always buy it later.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

gsjackson wrote:
September 18th, 2021, 1:04 pm
Qatar Airways allows two free checked bags. They have a flight from Tucson to Belgrade for $630. To get to Tucson from Mexico City you'd need to fly to Phoenix and take a shuttle to Tucson -- cost about $300 plus depending on luggage fees. From Belgrade you can get a direct flight to Ljubljana for $94 plus about $70-100 for checked bags.
I am paranoid about US customs and I am paranoid about having a random secret warrant out for my arrest in America for some reason. It's not just paranoia, I have very bad luck and Murphy's Law always happens. I also want to avoid the extra screenings which I always get. It's one of the reasons I want to avoid a layover or connection in the US. I also don't want to clear US customs, then the hassle of trying to figure out how to get a shuttle, then clearing TSA, then maybe get questioned by US CBP, then clear Serbian customs, then go through another security line, then clear EU customs. That's a nightmare with the odds of something going wrong in the US or the EU is at maximum probability.

Turkish Airlines seems like the best option because it might be more affordable. Iberian is good but more of a hassle and more expensive.

I don't even know if Slovenia will be an option. Part of me going to Mexico is so if I returned to the US, I could avoid a terrible extra security screening.

I don't even know where I will go if I can't rent the place in Slovenia. I would know by early October.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Voyager1 wrote:
September 18th, 2021, 1:37 pm
Is there any way you can reduce your luggage to 1 checked bag? Try to fit as much into your carryon as possible. Maybe you could throw / donate some stuff away. You can always buy it later.
Impossible. I brought two because I don't want to return to the United States for a few years (not that I actually can afford to go back for a few years). I would be leaving behind almost all my clothing.

I can't afford to replace anything. The only reason why I could actually buy things I needed was because of the stimulus checks. I would have stayed in Europe and spent the money there if I could but Bulgaria stopped being expat friendly in 2018 or 2019.

Hypothetically, let's say I can't afford the European Union...where should I go?
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

If you wanted to go to EU, why wouldja pay another month in México?

You're just wasting time and money.

Return to “General Discussions”