Home - glad I am not there!

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Home - glad I am not there!

Post by yick »

I was watching the battles between the far right and BLM/the police - I see all these angry faces - there is anger everywhere - when I listen to British radio and watch the tv - the same red faced, angry faces and raised angry voices. I am glad I am not home - and we haven't had the recession to end all recessions yet - that's coming which is going to make things worse along with the Brexit that no-one voted for and no-one will want in the end. BLM and the far right aren't going anywhere anyway.

Being right/justified/proud or whatever makes for a crap pillow at night and I don't see many happy faces back home. What a shit way to live.

So, if you are a patron of this site, what's stopping you from making the move again? Trust me, living as an expat in Asia is far superior than anything back home. Mind you, maybe you live in Malibu or somewhere.
HappyGuy

Re: Home - glad I am not there!

Post by HappyGuy »

Everything is going to be fine. Stay where you are. Do not leave the United States. :D Wait for the vaccine. Listen to the experts on tv. Do not pull your money out of the banks until you're broke. Don't call us we'll call you. :lol:

Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

yick wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 7:35 pm
I was watching the battles between the far right and BLM/the police - I see all these angry faces - there is anger everywhere - when I listen to British radio and watch the tv - the same red faced, angry faces and raised angry voices. I am glad I am not home -
-----
Trust me, living as an expat in Asia is far superior than anything back home....
I can only agree with you, I live comfortably in Japan since 40 years, so far I have not seen even one fight in the streets between locals, I can go out day and night to everywhere, without being worried about anything...

I never came back to Europe and have no intention ever to go back... you can say many major cities in Europe and in USA are nothing but a chaos full with aggressive people.

Now my life is fantastic, finally retired with good allowance, no financial problems, no problem with family, car, motorcycle, owner of our condominium unit - no rent to pay, still healthy, medical care free up to end of life, living a bit outside (1 mile only) of a very clean small city (not really so small, about 700.000 people and almost everything you need as a foreigner is available) with many forests and rivers around, only friendly people and never any dispute, no corona-virus and no BLM demos, second home in Thailand to escape cold winter-time...
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Yohan wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 10:14 pm
yick wrote:
I was watching the battles between the far right and BLM/the police - I see all these angry faces - there is anger everywhere - when I listen to British radio and watch the tv - the same red faced, angry faces and raised angry voices. I am glad I am not home -
-----
Trust me, living as an expat in Asia is far superior than anything back home....
I can only agree with you, I live comfortably in Japan since 40 years, so far I have not seen even one fight in the streets between locals, I can go out day and night to everywhere, without being worried about anything...

I never came back to Europe and have no intention ever to go back... you can say many major cities in Europe and in USA are nothing but a chaos full with aggressive people.

Now my life is fantastic, finally retired with good allowance, no financial problems, no problem with family, car, motorcycle, owner of our condominium unit - no rent to pay, still healthy, medical care free up to end of life, living a bit outside (1 mile only) of a very clean small city (not really so small, about 700.000 people and almost everything you need as a foreigner is available) with many forests and rivers around, only friendly people and never any dispute, no corona-virus and no BLM demos, second home in Thailand to escape cold winter-time...
Great post!
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Meanwhile, back home in the good old USA, I was just burgled for the 8th time, losing a couple of laptops. I now strongly suspect the POC next door, and confronted them. This time they found a child who could crawl through a one-foot wide window. I'm sure they thought they were doing God's work, since I'm a despicable bearer of white privilege.
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

Yohan wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 10:14 pm

You made the right bet way ahead of time, mate... ;-)
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

yick wrote:
I was watching the battles between the far right and BLM/the police - I see all these angry faces - there is anger everywhere - when I listen to British radio and watch the tv - the same red faced, angry faces and raised angry voices. I am glad I am not home - and we haven't had the recession to end all recessions yet - that's coming which is going to make things worse along with the Brexit that no-one voted for and no-one will want in the end. BLM and the far right aren't going anywhere anyway.

Being right/justified/proud or whatever makes for a crap pillow at night and I don't see many happy faces back home. What a shit way to live.

So, if you are a patron of this site, what's stopping you from making the move again? Trust me, living as an expat in Asia is far superior than anything back home. Mind you, maybe you live in Malibu or somewhere.
The people who are protesting and looting are so few and far in between that it never touches me. Granted, I am in a great area in North Georgia since I am stuck in the United States till winter, but these protests are no different than the pre-election squabbles and media manipulation in the summer of 2016 prior to the Presidential election.

That is actually what this is all about, agitation so that Trump's chances to win again are reduced.

If anything, I see all Americans making an extra effort to be nice, friendly, and out going. Perhaps that is the aftermath of lockdown, or some deep guilt complex, but I am enjoy my time here more than I thought.

And the young, white girls are just spreading eagle! I so hope that has nothing to do with guilt, but I'm taking it.
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

gsjackson wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 5:37 am
Meanwhile, back home in the good old USA, I was just burgled for the 8th time, losing a couple of laptops. I now strongly suspect the POC next door, and confronted them. This time they found a child who could crawl through a one-foot wide window. I'm sure they thought they were doing God's work, since I'm a despicable bearer of white privilege.
White privilege = your neighbours are blacks/latinos?
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 11:48 am
yick wrote:

The people who are protesting and looting are so few and far in between that it never touches me. Granted, I am in a great area in North Georgia since I am stuck in the United States till winter, but these protests are no different than the pre-election squabbles and media manipulation in the summer of 2016 prior to the Presidential election.

That is actually what this is all about, agitation so that Trump's chances to win again are reduced.

If anything, I see all Americans making an extra effort to be nice, friendly, and out going. Perhaps that is the aftermath of lockdown, or some deep guilt complex, but I am enjoy my time here more than I thought.

And the young, white girls are just spreading eagle! I so hope that has nothing to do with guilt, but I'm taking it.
That must be a hard slog to be grounded until winter! After a month back home I am raring to go again! If it wasn't for my parents, I doubt I would ever go back!
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

yick wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 7:43 pm
yick wrote:

That must be a hard slog to be grounded until winter! After a month back home I am raring to go again! If it wasn't for my parents, I doubt I would ever go back!
It's tough not enjoying my favorite part of the world and exploring it, so I am just exploring the US South. I'll be moving into an apartment for 4 months soon and I'll get to enjoy cooking again, and settling in for longer than usual in a great place.

Fate works in mysterious ways though because I will be traveling to Argentina, Uruguay, and Paraguay in December. Had this travel lockdown not happened, I would have kept on my "Europe and back" routine so there is a silver lining to all this. I never thought I'd travel to South America again but the opportunity arose once more.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

June 21st, 2020, 10:06 pm
yick wrote:
yick wrote:

It's tough not enjoying my favorite part of the world and exploring it, so I am just exploring the US South. I'll be moving into an apartment for 4 months soon and I'll get to enjoy cooking again, and settling in for longer than usual in a great place.

Fate works in mysterious ways though because I will be traveling to Argentina, Uruguay, and Paraguay in December. Had this travel lockdown not happened, I would have kept on my "Europe and back" routine so there is a silver lining to all this. I never thought I'd travel to South America again but the opportunity arose once more.
That's a great idea!! It will be summer down there too! How long are you down there for?
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

yick wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 10:15 pm
June 21st, 2020, 10:06 pm
yick wrote:
yick wrote:

That's a great idea!! It will be summer down there too! How long are you down there for?
I'd say December to May then back to Miami to prepare for my trip back home to Eastern Europe.

I'd like to do at least a month in each. I might do more time in Argentina to see some of the smaller cities, and since Southern Brazil is so close, it's a possibility given the world class women there. Santiago, Chile is a possibility too. But it all depends on how much I enjoy each location. If I am enjoying a place, I'll just stay for longer than planned.

I think Paraguay will be first, Uruguay second, and Argentina third to save the best for last. After that, it's anyone's guess!
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

The people who are protesting and looting are so few and far in between that it never touches me.
Interesting comment, USA has about 330 million people.

I really would like to know how many people totally are actively participating in all these riots. Any estimate?

There are only about 10 larger cities in USA with a population over 1 million people, and about 300 smaller cities with a population over 100.000 people,

If in each of these larger cities about 20000 people are into rootings and arson it would be indeed only be 2 percent of the urban population who are violent and into criminal activity.

In USA are about 2.3 million people in jail, however considering the entire population of 330 million people, this means only 0.7 percent are criminals who are behind bars.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Yohan wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 2:40 am
The people who are protesting and looting are so few and far in between that it never touches me.
Interesting comment, USA has about 330 million people.

I really would like to know how many people totally are actively participating in all these riots. Any estimate?

There are only about 10 larger cities in USA with a population over 1 million people, and about 300 smaller cities with a population over 100.000 people,

If in each of these larger cities about 20000 people are into rootings and arson it would be indeed only be 2 percent of the urban population who are violent and into criminal activity.

In USA are about 2.3 million people in jail, however considering the entire population of 330 million people, this means only 0.7 percent are criminals who are behind bars.
The protests are occurring in the big, urban centers primarily. But even then it is only taking place in small pockets of the cities.

Most Americans are going about life as if nothing out of the ordinary his happening. The one thing I can say is that there are reports of rich people actively seeking to move away from the cities now. That seems more precautionary more than any real need at the moment, but I can't blame them.